Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Defined XL

Once upon a time, a young man ordered a Fractal Design Define XL from ncix. Unfortunately, CanadaPost dropped it in transit, and when it arrived, it was all messed up. Upon realization, it was brought to the attention of ncix, who started an inquiry with Canadapost, and sent a new one to this young man. It just so happened, that Canadapost reimbursed NCIX, but failed to pick up the old case, so our young hero was left with 2! He put one to good use for over a year, but was becoming tired of it and the space the two took up. So, he swore to all that is holy and made of chocolate that he would sell the good one, and turn the damaged one into the mother of all Define XLs...kind of anyway.

This is where our journey begins. Being lazy, I didn't want to go through the trouble of photographing the damaged area, but needless to say, the foot is bent inwards and there is a definite swagger in its walk. No, that can't be right. It just leans.

I'm not gonna delve into my plan, because I don't have one and I'm making it up as I go along. Now, I feel like this introduction paragraph has delved on for too long, so onto some beauty shots.

What we're working with, lifted straight from the Fractal Design site...awwwww yeeaaaaa

Copied from my OCN account

Last edited by Iphikratous; January 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I accomplished some actual legitimate work today! This is bizarre.

One of my biggest complaints with the case is that although it is very large and roomy, the excessive number of HDD cages and the different compartments don't complement each other. I have no need for that many 3.5 inch drives, and due to the compartmentalization the second 140mm fan on the bottom is useless. Well, I don't like useless.

And so, the trusty drill was whipped out.

And I started attacking rivets. We quickly went from this:

To this:

Shmexyyy, that's how I like it. One large, single compartment, with an excessive amount of cooling.

The two 140 MM fans that came with the case, both fitted to the front. I did swing to Canada Computers today and picked up a TY-140 and a Scythe Kaze Maru 2, but due to the way the mountings on this worked, they didn't fit. The TY-140 was too large, and the Scythe was the wrong shape (rounded corners). I could've made the Scythe stay with some double-sided tape, but it was 800rpm and didn't push enough air for my liking.

I also removed the stupid 180mm fan from the top. I never felt much air being blown from it, and there just wasn't room up there with my D14. So, it went too. Now look at all the venting on the back of the case.

You can see the clips here:

Now, tomorrow I'm gonna fix the structural damage to the case, and pop over to Canada Computers to see if I can find anything fun. :)
Old January 20, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice start man, i thought about picking up one of those instead of my R3.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
nice start man, i thought about picking up one of those instead of my R3.
Why thank you. I did check out the R3, but I wanted something bigger and I like the extra customizing options this gives you.

================================================== ============

We rejoin our hero as he travels through the world of brute force and hammers. Once, long ago, on the road to perdi- no, I'm sure I mean that holy grail which is undying satisfaction with one's components- our hero came into contact with the evil warlord Canadapost. They have destroyed his case into shipping, and in doing so crushed his dreams and aspirations. Well, maybe not that bad, but definitely prolonged his time with the agonizing Antec 1200...

We jump back forward in time to the present day. His Define XL, which has been sitting in a box for over a year, is damaged, and only our hero is capable of fixing it. He whets his weapons, and prepares for battle.

His arms: a hammer, a piece of maple, and some 2x4s.

His enemy, some bent metal.

The battle raged for what seemed like minutes, and was in reality not nearly so long. As the dust settled, one man stands victorious. The bent metal lies straight on the ground. This is a victory worthy of the gods, Zeus would be proud.

Our hero rests, and soon continues on his way. Where will his path lead him?
Old January 24, 2012, 06:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LOl so this is your other *damaged* case :) Thanks for the deal on your good case. I wil be posting some pics of my h20 modded Define XL.