Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windowed R3

Well i have been contemplating cutting a window into my Fractal R3 for some time now and finally decided to go ahead with it. I'm thinking a nice light smoked plexi-glass with some leds inside to show everything off, I'm going to get my buddy to build me led system to fit the case so every led and wire will be hidden. the top of my new NH-D14 will be painted flat white along with my 6970's should to really reflect all the light it can. if i can find some white 3m di-noc film to use instead i would rather go that way. and lastly i will be sanding and re-painting my orange front of the case to match the inside. and being that this computer also acts as a home server rather than just a gaming pc i am stuck having to leave the HDD cages in the case, i would love to take them out but cant.

PLANS:

1 square window that does not show the PSU, HDD's, or BR drive.
1 cut white pice of plexi to hide cables and PSU
1 custon led lighting kit, Probably blue or red.
1 repainted front door.

here is what the case looks like now,

Thanks For Looking.
Old January 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

custom lighting sounds cool
square window or a funky shape?
Old January 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

dude, the noctua takes up your whole case :P
Old January 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
dude, the noctua takes up your whole case :P
yes it does, and if i had another asus 6970 in there it would take up the rest. i really need to find a new home for my hdd's so i can clear up some space and lots of cables. im trying to put together a small server so i can go nuts with this case.

i have started to lay out some tape on my side panel to start getting an idea of what shape i want the window but wont finalize anything till i can build said server.

i was also thinking of cutting a window into the top of the case, only because every case you see out there has a side window. i will toy with the idea a little more.

Or a tripple fan grill in the front with a custom front panel as i dont need a dvd drive in the front, i can move that to the bottom of the case on the side.
Old January 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

email as been sent to fractal to see if i can get a right side panel without the sound damping material on it so when i put in a window i can really open it up.
Old January 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this is what im thinking about for a end game look. not the most detailed but i dont feel like putting any more time into it. i would love to build watercooling into if i had the money but a budget is a budget. im hopeing to spend about $100 on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old January 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Spent the last 40 minutes scraping off the bitumen. now to get some industrial strength glue remover.

Old January 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Woah that's pretty nasty under the sound dampening material.

Also for you noctua, you could stop in to a hardware store and get a can of krylon fusion white spray paint for plastics and paint your fans.

2 coats did fairly well for me.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
Woah that's pretty nasty under the sound dampening material.

Also for you noctua, you could stop in to a hardware store and get a can of krylon fusion white spray paint for plastics and paint your fans.

2 coats did fairly well for me.
ya it is real nasty under there, the stuff breaks really easy to, ended up with 30 or 40 pieces in the end.

i was thinking painting the fans, but im not a fan of the 2 different sized fans, i was thinking of picking up 5x Bitfenix Spectre White 120MM fans and 2 of the 140mm for this.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Rookie

Seems promising :)
Good Luck with that.