Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Dry Ice [Warning 56k]

Just got in from doing the first day of some extreme overclocking, along with jdrom17 and another guy who isnt a member here (shame on him). So far I've only killed one component, my OCZ GameXtream 700W PSU . Luckily my friend brought his Antec 470W PSU that came with his case. Not enough to run 3DMark06 with my 8800GTX apparently. We did break my SPi 1M records though. And now on to the pictures:

First we had to install a fresh version of XP x64. An ultra cut down version jdrom17 made.
100_0701.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0702.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0703.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0704.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0705.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Then we started some actual overclocking. Obviously done outside, a nice cold -7C. Good thing we live in Canada
With the dry ice and ethanol the cpu was -92C.

100_0706.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The highest temp we saw was around -70C.

The RAM was cooled by two 80mm Deltas, pushing a combined total of 214CFM. The northbridge was cooled by a nice powerful 120mm Delta, pushing 220CFM. MY 8800GTX was cooled by my liquid cooling system, running 50% alcohol so it wouldn't freeze outside.

Some more pictures of the setup running outside:
100_0707.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0708.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0713.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0715.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

100_0718.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The highest we could get the CPU to was 4.5GHz (or was it 4.7, I can't remember if we ever got that stable). SPi time was 11.464s. Hopefully once I get my new powersupply we can push that a bit further, and actually get some 3DMark06 runs in. Current 3DMark06 record is just under 15000. And the CPU was only at 4GHz for that.

I've still got more than half the dry ice left, so I'll be doing some more overclocking on Friday. More pics then, and I'll upload all the validation + screenshots.

Last edited by CanadaRox; March 12, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old March 12, 2008, 08:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I took those pictures

The Deltas' were insanely loud IMO. Putting your hand by them while outside nearly froze your hand instantly, though we had been out for like 2-3 hours...

Going by ATITool, the 8800GTX was running a chilly 10-11C in idle since that wasn't mentioned above. Kicking the GTX into 3D mode resulted in everything turning off

It was a fun evening overall though, minus being nearly frozen and the time it took to get it all setup.

Last edited by JD; March 16, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old March 12, 2008, 08:22 PM
Rookie

WOW, thats insane! Heard of people doing that, first time ive ever read about it. Thanks for posting.
Old March 12, 2008, 08:50 PM
Allstar

Awesome! How did you guys happen to kill the PSU?

Can I get some pictures of insulation?

Also, the dry ice will sublime overnight, so you might not have too much tomorrow.
Old March 12, 2008, 09:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
Awesome! How did you guys happen to kill the PSU?

Can I get some pictures of insulation?

Also, the dry ice will sublime overnight, so you might not have too much tomorrow.
Well some rubbing alcohol spilled while we were setting it up inside and it hit the PSU but the PSU was still running fine until we took it outside. I don't believe any spilled into the fan, just on the casing part but maybe it seeped in? Not totally sure if the alcohol killed it or not, but CanadaRox is going to try taking it apart and see (which is he doing now). It wasn't the cold though since even after it was sitting inside a while it still wouldn't turn on.

As for insulation, just some foam tape stuff on the back of the mobo underneath the CPU and a bit more around the socket. Some nail polish as well under it. Maybe he can post up some pictures later.
Old March 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

Here are a few more detailed pictures of the insulation Wankerfx:

100_0721.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
100_0722.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
100_0724.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
100_0725.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Under the motherboard, it is some neoprene tape stuff (not exactly sure what it is, I got it with my pot). I used a lot of clear nail polish on both sides of the motherboard, especially on places that had electrical components visible. Then I put on some of the stuff, which I believe to be neoprene tape, around the socket (not completely though) and on the backside of the motherboard. I also had a piece of insulation about an inch tall that went around the socket area, though I'm not sure how much that actually helped. The tube itself is insulated with pipe insulation, which you can use a neoprene sheet and some electrical tape.

I still can't seem to figure out this power supply issue. I've taken it all apart and I don't see any physical damage on the inside, and it still wont start (with or without load). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old March 13, 2008, 04:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NIce going guys! is that eldonkos old pot?
Old March 13, 2008, 07:31 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
Here are a few more detailed pictures of the insulation Wankerfx:

100_0721.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
100_0722.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
100_0724.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
100_0725.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Under the motherboard, it is some neoprene tape stuff (not exactly sure what it is, I got it with my pot). I used a lot of clear nail polish on both sides of the motherboard, especially on places that had electrical components visible. Then I put on some of the stuff, which I believe to be neoprene tape, around the socket (not completely though) and on the backside of the motherboard. I also had a piece of insulation about an inch tall that went around the socket area, though I'm not sure how much that actually helped. The tube itself is insulated with pipe insulation, which you can use a neoprene sheet and some electrical tape.

I still can't seem to figure out this power supply issue. I've taken it all apart and I don't see any physical damage on the inside, and it still wont start (with or without load). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Nice stuff, although, I think you should have more insulation on the motherboard. 3oh6 pointed that out on my motherboard in my old thread.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice job
Old March 13, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good stuff, glad to see the ol pot working hard. :)

Few tips:

- DI is max -77C, not -90C ;)
- You may want to invest in a digital thermometer and mount probe on bottom of pot (see pic).
- Dice will cool best if you crush first, and maintain a few inches, packing down often.
- Use about 2 oz of methanol or whatever, as long as its 90%+