Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   WIP I AM CANADIAN, and my computer uses winter air! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/50295-i-am-canadian-my-computer-uses-winter-air.html)

Jared11 January 10, 2012 01:28 AM

I AM CANADIAN, and my computer uses winter air!
 
Well, I don't know if anyone else utilizes their climate like myself for computer cooling, but it works for me. I will post up some pics soon for everyone. So far the winter temps in Canada have been higher than normal for 2011-2012, but regardless my computer is very chilly. Right now these are my temps:
CPU: 9C (Lowest Core Temp) *Core i5 750 @ 2.97Ghz*
HDD1: 8C *Seagate 500GB*
HDD2: 7C *WD Raptor 80GB*
GPU1: 29C *GTX 280*
GPU2: 25C *GTX 280*

Ambient Case temps are roughly 7C to 11C. I am using an Antec 900 case, and the front two 120mm fans induct cold air from a nearby window. (Again, I will upload pics soon.)

Last year was the first year I set this up, and in which achieved the lowest temps so far inside of my case. Below is a pic of HWMonitor from last years lowest idle captured scores from using winter air. (All specs and system OC/Configs are the same as this year)
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...11111/cold.jpg

supaflyx3 January 10, 2012 02:14 AM

I wish i could do this, but I dont want to waste energy keeping my heat on just so i can sleep at night :(

Arinoth January 10, 2012 05:44 AM

It's called more blankets supa, impressive temperatures OP

gingerbee January 10, 2012 05:46 AM

be careful you get your hdd to close or below zero they may freeze up as in not working any more i had this happen many times in the past when doing something similar

zsamz_ January 10, 2012 07:18 AM

if i was to use my pc n my room was that cold i would rather go out n play with the sow lol

get some watercooling gear n put the rad outside @ least you be nice n toasty

KaptCrunch January 10, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared11 (Post 588578)
Well, I don't know if anyone else utilizes their climate like myself for computer cooling, but it works for me. I will post up some pics soon for everyone. So far the winter temps in Canada have been higher than normal for 2011-2012, but regardless my computer is very chilly. Right now these are my temps:
CPU: 9C (Lowest Core Temp) *Core i5 750 @ 2.97Ghz*
HDD1: 8C *Seagate 500GB*
HDD2: 7C *WD Raptor 80GB*
GPU1: 29C *GTX 280*
GPU2: 25C *GTX 280*

Ambient Case temps are roughly 7C to 11C. I am using an Antec 900 case, and the front two 120mm fans induct cold air from a nearby window. (Again, I will upload pics soon.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 588611)
be careful you get your hdd to close or below zero they may freeze up as in not working any more i had this happen many times in the past when doing something similar

other important thing is temp cycling of cpu will cause cpu socket sweat

use DIELECTRIC GREASE on cpu socket contacts

jibz January 10, 2012 08:48 AM

I'd be really worried about condensation. Anything below the ambient room temp may start dripping.

KaptCrunch January 10, 2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibz (Post 588658)
I'd be really worried about condensation. Anything below the ambient room temp may start dripping.

depends on humidi, winter not that bad but summer time yes 6 degree's(difference) becomes damp and shorts out things

Notagiant January 10, 2012 09:06 AM

There is no risk in "freezing". Almost every extreme overclocking contest uses liquid nitrogen at well below 0C to cool their CPU, GPU and chipsets to reach their 5+ GHz clock speeds. The risk lies in condensation. Even though the air is considerably dryer in the winter than in our lovely Canadian summers, it still contains a fair amount of moisture in the form of water vapour. If any of the surfaces of your components hits the dew point, water droplets would form on them and you could run the risk of shorting something out.

Now, the good news is that you would probably have to go below 0C on the surface of one of your components for this to happen, so it is highly unlikely. For example:

Today, in Ottawa, the relative humidity is about 70%. From your info, your air temperature is about 10C. The dew point at that temperature and humidity is somewhere between -5C and -10C. It is not 100% impossible for this to happen, but is is unprobable. Where you run into real risk is near your hotter components (heat sinks, RAM, GPU). The higher the ambient, the higher the dew point. A quick blast of cold air over a component that is running with air around 20C would form dew at only 12C! YIKES!!

The ideal way to do this and eliminate risk would be to run the air intake over a mole sieve or dessicant system in order to remove moisture from the air, dropping its relative humidity. Knocking 10% off of the humidity could buy you an additional 7-10C of buffer on the dew point (depending on your temperatures and average humidity). EDIT: Or using dielectric grease, as mentioned above. Some people have even gone as far as to melt candle wax around problematic condensation spots. :)

Long story short, I like when others take advantage of what we are stuck with. Just be careful! No one wants to see you short out your whole system or even start a fire.

geokilla January 10, 2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsamz_ (Post 588633)
if i was to use my pc n my room was that cold i would rather go out n play with the sow lol

get some watercooling gear n put the rad outside @ least you be nice n toasty

What snow?

This is pretty stupid from a home owner point of view. The room is freezing cold, which means the heat is on 24/7. Have fun paying your electricity and natural gas bill.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM.