Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I started doing stuff like this back in 1997 with my Pentium 133 chip (before MMX!). As noted, condensation is your enemy. Hot air = Cold air = moisture, no matter where it's located.
I personally never fried anything.. and I used to use a 250mm, 200cfm 120V AC fan in through dryer vents over top the cpu cooler (the thermaltake golden orb if I remember correctly).. and i've done this at my old apartments for water cooling and radiators, which is much more safe with a little anti freeze.
Other options is to use the back of a toilet tank to run a loop through.

I'd be a little concerned with the mechanical hard drives, and if cold air is on it 24/7. They aren't meant to run at low temps.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 15, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

I love it! I have often toyed with running my watercooling setup thru my beer fridge. Not concerned with condensation, more about my beer getting warm during COD.
Old January 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking of an Idea of using a large thin intake fan as a side panel and then having a duct coming from the outside so that the fan sucks in cool air. but I am not sure how much cooler it would make my watercooling system, as it is my watercooled video card seems to be the major source of my cases ambient temperature.
Old January 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I'd be a little concerned with the mechanical hard drives, and if cold air is on it 24/7. They aren't meant to run at low temps.
The computer is turned off at night, but remains hooked up to the outside air, which can passively be felt flowing through the case. The computer remains cool when shutdown, but not actively over chilled. I agree that HDD's are not supposed to run consistantly at borderline-subzero temps. I don't believe any damage is being caused at the moment, but only time will tell lol. When it comes to mechanized moving parts, they do have a limiting factor with the cold as opposed to static operating circuits and components.
Old January 16, 2012, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Jared11 its the bearings tolorences are the issue on head and spindle but SSD is anothoer story