Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
What snow?

This is pretty stupid from a home owner point of view. The room is freezing cold, which means the heat is on 24/7. Have fun paying your electricity and natural gas bill.
most windows are dual (inner/outer) i got my rad between them with hoses coming thorugh crack opeing of window with old towel sealing rest

only con is the long tubing
Old January 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well in fact most hdd are only rated fro 0c or above so there a very good chance they may freeze up as in not work i didn't mean freeze as in ice i meant as in they won work the platters will freeze. but you will see if it happens
Old January 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

morning dew like your lawn
Old January 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A guy can always use conformal coating on everything too but that would take a fair bit of time to accomplish. As to the post regarding dew points and humidity... It may not be humid outside but most houses have humidifiers to decrease the costs of heating your home. That said... anything coming from outside would need to be protected from the inside air as there will be differences. No getting around that other than shutting off your humidifier but that's just idiocy. Anyone using lower than ambient temps runs the risk of creating moisture and without proper insulation from outside to in it will create moisture whether they want to or not.

Controlling the temperature is the key... I personally wouldn't trust a force that cannot be controlled: Mother Nature. She almost always wins

Simply pulling cold air from outside sounds great in theory but there is no way to control mother nature and weather changes. I think a little more thought needs to go into this idea other than just yanking cold air outta the sky.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; January 10, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old January 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LMAO.. i did this on my water cooled q9550 setup. I ran MINT, although was cold as hell to game with. Funny this is exact same case! I custom installed my rad to be on top of the case, and had dryer hose coming down form the window.

I didnt pay for heat or electricity at the time so i didnt care.
Old January 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I always thought about making a sealed box next to a window, have it hinge away from the window so i could open and close the window as needed, not for extreme cooling to sub zero, just to match custom water loop, as for humidity duct tape the box to the wall it's cheap up north eh(or a latch and foam seal), and again open and close window accordingly to outside weather.
Old January 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I wish i could do this, but I dont want to waste energy keeping my heat on just so i can sleep at night :(
It's called folding lol it's like having a little space heater in your room anyways, who needs heat when you OC the crap out of your computer and fold.

I know my GF comes home after I've been playing BF3 for an extended period of time and my room is a sauna with the door open.
Old January 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared11 View Post
Well, I don't know if anyone else utilizes their climate like myself for computer cooling, but it works for me.... I am using an Antec 900 case, and the front two 120mm fans induct cold air from a nearby window. (Again, I will upload pics soon.)
I am thinking actually at the same thing, I have the same Antec 900 and I was thinking of getting a plastic tubing similar to those AC units that are not window mounted, that only get one or two tubes out and getting the tube to the side fan to intake cold air all the time. My GX2 drops at least ten degrees C when I open the window. With a setup like this I should be able to run 2 GX2s in the same time with not much worry, at least not in the autumn winter and spring.
Old January 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
A guy can always use conformal coating on everything too but that would take a fair bit of time to accomplish. As to the post regarding dew points and humidity... It may not be humid outside but most houses have humidifiers to decrease the costs of heating your home. That said... anything coming from outside would need to be protected from the inside air as there will be differences. No getting around that other than shutting off your humidifier but that's just idiocy. Anyone using lower than ambient temps runs the risk of creating moisture and without proper insulation from outside to in it will create moisture whether they want to or not.

Controlling the temperature is the key... I personally wouldn't trust a force that cannot be controlled: Mother Nature. She almost always wins

Simply pulling cold air from outside sounds great in theory but there is no way to control mother nature and weather changes. I think a little more thought needs to go into this idea other than just yanking cold air outta the sky.
its a litlte date but outside was -15c, room 25c ran that setup 3yrs video was Fx5900ultra

no issues with condenstion loop rad outside window pump>rad>gpu>cpu

only trouble had was used latex tubing on gpu that cracked an sweat leaked caught in time before broke
Attached Images

Old January 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
Rookie

Default Cold weather arrived, updated Temps for 2011

Ok so heres the temps I had tonight. Last year the cold air flowed through the back fan, as it has an H50 Corsair cooler mounted to the back. This year the two front fans are hooked up to the cold air for better GPU temps, and other component temps across the board.

The CPU still remains chilly, and the only exhaust is on the side of the case (120mm). It has a 200mm fan on the top for exhaust, but it was expelling very cold air into the room, and instead is now recycling the air back through the rear mounted H50 intake. I wanted to be sure that the H50 was not pulling in warmer air from the back, than from the front. I didnt want room temps to mix with the cold front intake temps. The rooms ambient temp is roughly at 16 right now, and a heater is below my desk to keep my body warm. The room never heats up with the computer cycling cold air consistantly.

(PS: Not sure why the WD Raptor is at 25C, seeing as it is not using any programs at the time, and does not hold the OS. It's 10'000RPM but still, little warm compared to the Seagate drive.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Jared11; January 14, 2012 at 09:44 PM.