Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2012, 04:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Corsair 600T SE Watercooled; internal triple radiator mod

Here goes nothing! First time modding a case and watercooling, and I thought that I'd take advantage of my mid-tower 600T as much as possible. There is native space for an internal dual radiator in this case, but there is clearly enough space for a triple. I've seen a couple people pull off this mod, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's not gonna be easy shelling out all this money for this hobby, especially as a 16 year old, but I'll see how it goes. Donations are welcome! I'm just kidding haha. Sort of. Let's get started!

My goals:
  • To keep this project "affordable" if possible. (I know, watercooling and affordable do not go together. But I'll try my best!)
  • All internal watercooling build
  • Eventually sleeve my cables to hide any rainbow wires.
  • Keep my front panel all black, smooth, and unbothered. That means no CD/DVD writers, fan controllers, bay reservoirs, nothing. I like the slick look.
  • Will think of more...

Computer Parts:
  • Where the beast will live: Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition
  • Motherboard: MSI Big Bang X-Power
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 930
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB
  • GPU: Radeon HD 6990
  • PSU: Corsair HX650
  • Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3
  • Storage Drive: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hard Drive
  • Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 7.1
  • Fan Controller: Corsair Link

Watercooling Parts:
  • Waterblock: Used Swiftech Apogee GTZ
  • Radiator: Used Swiftech MCR320-XP
  • Reservoir: Used Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2
  • Pump: Used Swiftech MCP655 Pump
  • Tubing: Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Green 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing
  • Fittings: Bitspower G1/4 to 1/2IN Straight Compression Fittings if the part did not come with fittings. Some Bitspower G1/4 to 1/2IN barbs where the compressions don't fit.
  • Coolant: Distilled water
  • Fans: Gentle Typhoon AP-15's on the radiator, Gelid Wing 12 Green UV for case.

Jan 9, 2012.

Ripped off the white pieces that latch onto the black chassis. Wasn't too hard the second time around. Consisted of 3 pieces. Front, top, and back + bottom fan filter.

The mess I made on my living room floor... It's a good thing I have a lot of room to work on around here.

Using a angle grinder to do the cuts on the chassis. I drew out rough lines with a knife beforehand, but changed my mind about some cuts when I was actually doing the cutting. I cut out all the mesh which enables a lot more airflow to the radiator. However, I went around all the radiator holes to leave them intact. That way I'll still have somewhere to mount my radiator and fans.

Quickly filed off the sharp edges. Only helped a bit though. Still sharp and rough.

I had to make a cut out of the plastic top piece as well.

Here's the motherboard I'll be using. The MSI Big Bang X-Power. I've been loving this board so far. Looks pretty sweet too. Oh right... theres a new one that just came out... Hopefully, this will be an X79 board in the future when I save up some money.

I tried test fitting the radiator which is supposed to sit right above the motherboard, and it couldn't get it. The Northbridge heatsink that says "BIG BANG" is in the way, so I'll have to do something about that.

Bam! When I was making my cuts on the chassic with the dremel, I brought my motherboard along. I used the side of the dremel wheel to... I don't know what word to use... sand off some of the aluminum off the heatsink. I don't know if it'll be enough though. I couldn't go any further as I didn't want to touch the heatpipes.

January 10, 2012.

It took a lot of work to get my motherboard on, but I finally did it, and here it is. Stupid heatsink in the way...

Here's an inside look. You can see the tight fit between the radiator and the "BIG BANG" heatsink. I had to cut off some of the heatsink, and even then it was super super tight.

Before...

Looking good so far!

Off to Home Depot in search of radiator screws. M3.5 30mm screws. And NCIX for some Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM 's.

Currently Waiting for Arrival:
-MCR320-XP: Arrived
-MCP655: Arrived
-XFX Radeon HD 5970: Got scammed... and got my money back. Heh.

While I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come in, can someone give me suggestions about how I should set up my loop? Don't know where I'll be mounting my pump or reservoir yet.

January 12, 2012.

So it turns out that Home Depot didn't have the right screws for me. All I found were wood screws. :\ Some of you guys have suggested Canadian Tire, so I'll be making a trip there soon.

Went to NCIX today to pick up some of the goodies I ordered.

Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Green 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing. Looks good already. Can't wait to put it under my UV cathodes.

Bitspower G1/4 to 1/2IN Straight Compression Fittings. Pretty heavy for the size, so you know it's quality material. I only bought a pair for now. On a tight budget and I just can't afford spending 100 bucks on these little things. Using the stock fittings that came with my res and waterblock. Guess I'll need to buy a couple more for my rad and GPU block though...

Last night, I went to two different NCIX's to get 3 Gentle Typhoon fans. These...are...so...nice... Plugged one in to test for a minute, and they are silent even on full speed. Just really, really, high quality stuff right here.
(Using as the push fans for my radiator)

Here's a shot of where my UV Green Gelids would go. I've been told that they're not the best radiator fans, so I'll have my Gentle Typhoons pushing on the other side.
(Using as the pull fans for my radiator. Okay I admit. It's actually for the looks.)

I might be using these NZXT 120mm fans that came with a friend's Phantom case. He didn't need them, so he let me have them. Yeah yeah, I know, stock fans are usually garbage, but these are actually not bad.
(Might be using 3 of these as front intake. If I don't like them, then I'll pick up 3 more Green Gelids)

Just some shots of some others parts I'll be using. Bought used on this very forum.

Here's where I am right now. Not much progress will be done until my pump comes in.

I think I figured out a good way to control my fans without having anything external showing on the front of my case. The Scythe Kaze Q8 is an 8 channel fan controller that mounts on hard drive bays. It's meant to be mounted so that it shows externally on the front panel. My idea is to mount it on one of my hard drive rack thingies. Yes, I'll have to open up my side panel whenever I want to change the settings, but how hard is that? I have a 600T for god's sake.

Scythe Kaze Q8 8-Channel Fan Controller at Memory Express
Simple and affordable. I know I'll be happy with it.

January 12, 2012.

Still patiently waiting for my other parts... I've just been using my laptop these days. I maybe start with the cable management today since I have nothing much better to do, but the rainbow wires of the 24pin really bugs me. I need to think of a "poor man's cable sleeving" technique. Any ideas?

Another idea I thought of was lapping my Apogee GTZ. It doesn't look too good right now. Scratched up, and a bit of discoloration. If it's not too hard and I have the tools, I will probably do it tonight just for the hell of it.

Bad news. My dad was able to get some screws for me at work. I told him I needed M3.5, about 3 centimenters. He brought a whole bunch of M3.5 screws home, in different lengths. I used one that might've been a been a bit too long and I ended up puncturing the raditator. I couldn't believe it. I screwed the screw in about 75% and then checked to make sure that I WOULDN'T puncture the rad. Too late. Already did...

I didn't know how to test whether there was a hole in the rad or not. What I did was, I went through the torture of taking my motherboard and rad out of the case, and filled the rad with tap water. Slapped on two stop fittings and I just sorta shook it around. No water came out anywhere, so I guess that's a good sign? Though I'm sure that was not the best way to see whether there is a hole or not...

January 17, 2012.

Sorry for the long delay. Waiting for parts to come in.

Aww yeah, should be my long awaited MCP655.

And my GTX 570!

I guess I got scammed and I will not be receiving my 5970. Sigh* Huge hit in the budget.

It looks like I have a lot of work to do in the back though... Well.. I as long as the front looks good!

The cover that sits on the top panel of my case won't close after adding the third fan. Some plastic will need to be cut in order for the cover to close. The mesh that goes over the plastic won't need to be affected though.

There we go! Looks pretty good.

I've decided to go with my Gentle Typhoons to go on top of my radiator instead of my Gelid Wings. This is because I can't get my UV cathodes to fit in a good place in order to shine at my fans. I was really disappointed.

I thought about putting my Gelid's at the front for intake instead, and I did, but then again, there's no good place for my UV cathodes. Considering Green LED fans now... When I have the coin.

This is where I am right now. Still don't know where the best place is to put my res and pump. And I don't know how the best tubing setup should be like.

This is where you guys come in. Suggestions please?
Also, it seems like my GPU is bending quite a lot on the right side.....

January 16, 2012.
Don't have enough fittings for my GPU at the moment. Gonna pop in a 6950 on air temporarily just so I can get the loop going.

July 11, 2012.
Update: I'll be getting back to this project soon! I've just been so busy lately so I haven't had time to shoot too many new pictures of my case. I've got lots changed since the last time I've officially updated. Stuff like... graphite coloured side panel doors, LED strips, Corsair Link, etc. My X58 system will be going very soon. Hopefully X79 and a 3930k, but if not, then Z77. All to go with my new 1050W XFX PSU. Bought a GTX 670 but decided to sell it. Will be rolling with a watercooled 6990 now!

January 9, 2013.
Wow, I've really been out of it for a long time. Just lost motivation in computers for a while and when I do decide to get back into it, my GPU waterblock leaks. Will get a new block or maybe even a different GPU altogether and I promise I'll start building again!

Last edited by bigFOIG; January 9, 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Reserved?
Old January 9, 2012, 08:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Dang you call that angle grinder a dremel? Makes what I use look whimpy. Looks good though can't wait to see the finished product.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

You're right, it's an angle grinder. I didn't even know what an angle grinder was until you mentioned. Haha. Dremel is a word that I've heard of more often, and it sorta looks like it! Oh the tools my dad has...
Old January 10, 2012, 01:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like it still won't go in. Right now I'm thinking about cutting off a bit of the frame of the Swiftech MCR-320XP to let the heatsink get by. Don't know if I have any more options. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Finally got my radiator and motherboard to both fit. Put the radiator on first, and then I pushed my motherboard upwards with a lot of force until the holes matched. I'm so glad that it fits without any further modding. :) And I am off to bed..
Old January 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The wierd thing is I my old case was the same raidmax I see in one of the pictures background. I just received the Cosair 600t-se for christmas love it so far. Nice mod please post when done :)
Old January 10, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey you are not using your angle grinder in a safe way :P where is the guard XD
Nice work! carry one and keep posting new update!!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 10, 2012, 02:52 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

And hopefully eye protection too.

When you say you pushed the board 'hard', is the heatsink still making contact on the motherboard components?
Old January 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There is a pin that holds the mother board up in the middle of the MB tray. Which is great but it gets in the way alittle when mounting. Not sure if that was his problem... but I had a hell of a time lining up the holes on the top of the board. The I/O shield causes back pressure on the board and the little pin in the middle keeps that pressure loaded. So moving it is a Bitch :)
Old January 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painbringer71 View Post
The wierd thing is I my old case was the same raidmax I see in one of the pictures background. I just received the Cosair 600t-se for christmas love it so far. Nice mod please post when done :)
The Raidmax Smilodon was actually the first case I ever built in. I didn't know anything back then when I was 12 haha. Then my next build was in the Coolermaster NV690, and a few months ago, the 600T SE. I'm really happy with the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painbringer71 View Post
There is a pin that holds the mother board up in the middle of the MB tray. Which is great but it gets in the way alittle when mounting. Not sure if that was his problem... but I had a hell of a time lining up the holes on the top of the board. The I/O shield causes back pressure on the board and the little pin in the middle keeps that pressure loaded. So moving it is a Bitch :)
Nope, the pin wasn't the problem. It was actually the key to getting my motherboard on. I pushed the motherboard up really hard, and most of the time, I was watching the hole where the pin pops out. I finally got the pin to stick through my motherboard and it held my whole motherboard up. Then I got to relax and took my time with the actual screws.