Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2012, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cosmos II - Watercooled

Thanks to Dimitry, the Cosmos II is now in my hands!

However as I feared, the HWLabs SR-1 needs an extra 5mm to fit properly without hanging over the motherboard. I have come to a possible solution, but I want your advice!

My solution to the problem, since it's basically just the EPS12V connector that is being problematic, if I remove it from the plastic connector and plug the "molex" pins directly into the motherboard, I can fit the board in fine as it tucks up in behind the radiator. Granted I haven't tried with my P6TD (which has heatsinks along the top edge) but I think it will fit. Can always chop the heatsink if needed.

But my question is, is this "safe"? I was thinking maybe using some hot-glue or something to ensure they stay in and give it some insulation in case anything leaks onto it or it touches the radiator. Pictures show how it looks.

Motherboard Connector Issue:

And here's some pictures to show just how huge this case really is, compared to the Antec 900:

Honestly I was a bit shocked after unboxing it although I should of known when it barely fit into the trunk of an Accord.

Extremely well built and I can see why it's receiving such rave reviews. The more I look at it, the more I want to keep it and either buy a new radiator, or proceed with my modified EPS12V connection. But that's where I need your feedback! What should I do?!
Old January 4, 2012, 02:58 PM

My System Specs

SR-1 really isn't a thick radiator either. If it can't fit then you really can't fit anything besides slim radiators. Is it not possible to mount the radiator above the metal mount and the fans below? Or is there no room for that either?
Old January 4, 2012, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your pin mod would work, but I'd heatshrink the exposed connectors above the base plug so nothing can touch them and short it out. Or simply get a different mobo or rad. X58 boards can be found reasonably cheap on the used scene, and most don't have the EPS connector right on the edge of the board.
Old January 4, 2012, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
SR-1 really isn't a thick radiator either. If it can't fit then you really can't fit anything besides slim radiators. Is it not possible to mount the radiator above the metal mount and the fans below? Or is there no room for that either?
Nope won't fit up there either, partially due to the 120mm fan that hangs over the 5.25" bays is under the plastic cover for all the I/O ports. But the height still would't be sufficient any ways.

RE: Can you fit two 25mm fans on top of each other under the top cover. The answer (sadly) is no. Again, it's off by a few millimetres. Most you could do is run 38mm fans under the cover, and a 25mm thick radiator with 25mm fans inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Your pin mod would work, but I'd heatshrink the exposed connectors above the base plug so nothing can touch them and short it out. Or simply get a different mobo or rad. X58 boards can be found reasonably cheap on the used scene, and most don't have the EPS connector right on the edge of the board.
Yeah I was thinking heatshrink too. I was also thinking LGA2011
Old January 4, 2012, 03:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking you should buy my X58 Classy with mobo block, then I could go LGA2011.
Old January 4, 2012, 06:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm well I wiggled my motherboard out without draining anything, and well the RAM clips are right up against the radiator. Probably not the best way to install things!

I think buying thinner radiators would be the most ideal solution at this point. I really do like the case and don't want to part with it.

Looks like Daz will be getting some of my money then
Old January 4, 2012, 08:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

An idea came to mind, what if the SR1 360 could fit in the bottom bay? I thought, no way that won't be possible, but when I put it down there it fit

Decided to proceed with installing the provided rad support brackets and was able to line up 4 holes with my radiator. Seems to hold well enough.

Obviously I'm missing a fan in the photos, that was due to laziness. This was more of a test fit just to make sure things would work. The PSU however is pretty tight. It's basically forced into place. If it wasn't for the modular connections, it would likely be fine. Again, the plastic housing on these connectors is too damn big!

I do still have about 1cm of space in the front of the case though. I figure if I make my own bracket (somehow) that I'll be able to mount the radiator up closer, and hopefully alleviate the PSU tightness.

Old January 4, 2012, 09:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Gotta consider whether 1 more centimeter would make enough difference though. I'd imagine it'd still be pretty tight? You don't wanna mod it up and find out that it's still warping your cables.
Old January 4, 2012, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh man that looks tight (thats what she said) I really want to see how this build turns out.
Old January 4, 2012, 10:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
Gotta consider whether 1 more centimeter would make enough difference though. I'd imagine it'd still be pretty tight? You don't wanna mod it up and find out that it's still warping your cables.
I think the extra 1cm would be enough to stop it from being ridiciously tight. Obviously would still have to slide out the PSU to connect any extra cables, but that's not a big deal as it's not something I'd do frequently. The hard-wired cables snake around fine though, it's just the modular ones being difficult.

Alternatively I can just turn the PSU upside down and have 0 issues, but the airflow pattern wouldn't quite be right.

Ordered some bits and pieces though I should be able to scrounge up enough to rough things in and get it up and running by Friday.