Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2012, 11:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Backplate perhaps?

If its EVGA get one of those ones?

-ST
Do not buy the EVGA backplate to go with an EK block. They are not compatible, and not really moddable to fit either. I have a $38 piece of scrap aluminum sitting on my workbench.

As for your PCB, thats a minor amount of flex compared to how mine was. I would try shortening the tubing between the CPU and GPU, that will straighten it out some. Your board isn't kinked in the middle, just not supported at the end. Shorten the tube a couple millimeters, and use the tubing to help support the board instead of pushing it down.
Old January 8, 2012, 12:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Do not buy the EVGA backplate to go with an EK block. They are not compatible, and not really moddable to fit either. I have a $38 piece of scrap aluminum sitting on my workbench.

As for your PCB, thats a minor amount of flex compared to how mine was. I would try shortening the tubing between the CPU and GPU, that will straighten it out some. Your board isn't kinked in the middle, just not supported at the end. Shorten the tube a couple millimeters, and use the tubing to help support the board instead of pushing it down.

Cool, didn't know that since I've never put a WB on anything modern these days.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 8, 2012, 01:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

for a temporary fix on the droopy card you can use a few zip ties looped together and around where the power connectors are on the card to the top of the case somewhere. MY loop holds my card up but I use this as a precaution when redoing the loop cuz the FC block is so damn heavy.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 8, 2012, 02:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It's made to fit anything imaginable I'd say! It did have 11 hard drive slots, but I removed 6 of them. Basically its designed for XL-ATX boards, or even larger ones like EVGA's SR-2.

Any suggestions? Ideally something that doesn't require much modification on my part...
Anything but what you are putting in it? The large boards makes the case make a bit more sense.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:54 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

dont want to sound like im bashing the case but why didnt they off set the vents in the roof like in the fractal arc midi? because even though its a mid tower i can fit a double thick 240 with push pull in the roof
Old January 8, 2012, 11:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Yeah I was thinking that too. I think once I get the final piece of tubing in, it'll help push it up some as well since the tubing needs to make a slight bend to get into the existing hole w/ grommet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison Ivy View Post
Anything but what you are putting in it? The large boards makes the case make a bit more sense.
I simply don't want to invest any money into LGA2011 currently. When I do though, it'll surely be either an E-ATX or XL-ATX board which will fill up the space a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
dont want to sound like im bashing the case but why didnt they off set the vents in the roof like in the fractal arc midi? because even though its a mid tower i can fit a double thick 240 with push pull in the roof
The radiator would still cover a good chunk of the motherboard though, would it not? I'm sure I could of drilled some new holes and done the same, but I'd rather be able to access everything without having to remove parts to get to something else.
Old January 8, 2012, 06:59 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Looking good man!

Seems like i know what would be my next case in a few months
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old January 8, 2012, 09:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well still no progress as I'm patiently waiting for NCIX to ship my order which has the necessary tubing in it...

I did mount my spare DDC3.25 into the 2nd pump bay on my RP-402X2 so that I'm ready for dual-loop action. I figure once I find a job (since I just graduated college), I'll do a full overhaul. Likely dual-GPU since a single doesn't seem quite enough to drive 2560x1440 with all the eye candy, and X79 as the platform of choice.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well joined together two pieces of tubing to get things up and running using two fittings and a coupler.

NCIX order shipped today, but I'm fairly sure it's coming from BC so it'll likely not show until the end of the week or early next week.

Just running distilled alone right now, and while bleeding the loop, the GPU block makes a pretty strange sound. Definitely some air pocket stuck inside of it or something. It goes away after running for a bit, but if I move the case it'll come back. Annoying to say the least, but I guess not all the air has escaped yet.

It seems I'll have to dump and rinse everything again though, still some bits of something coloured blue (from the Feser One) floating around.
Old January 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Finally got everything together and in a near-end-state. Just finishing leak testing/bleeding overnight and then I'll wire up everything and fire it up

Only the bottom hot-swap bay is actually connected and functional. The top one isn't since I have no more SATA ports. Not a big deal though since I don't suspect I'll ever need 2 hot-swap drives. It's more just if I need to quickly test a drive.

I wish CM would of provided an adapter to connect to their special 2pin LED connector to provide a standard molex connection. Their connector provides 12V so there is no reason it wouldn't be feasible. Instead I had to cut the wires and splice in my Phobya LED strips.

No issues getting all the wires tucked in behind the motherboard. Obviously it would of been marginally easier if I didn't have my radiator and fans in the bottom chamber though as wires could have been tucked away in there. Once I actually hookup everything, I'll take a picture (it's a bit messy though!).

If I remember, I'll attempt to weigh this beast tomorrow. It's pretty difficult to move now though, but then again I'm by no means a muscular person.

Future Ideas:
- Get a slim 240, 280, or 360 radiator to install up top and then separate the GPU and CPU into their own loops.
- SLI/Crossfire GPUs, watercooled of course. Likely wait until Kepler before making any decisions.
- E-ATX or XL-ATX LGA2011 motherboard, so it better fills the space.
- A window. I don't want to personally cut the panels, maybe pay somebody else to do so. However I'm mainly hoping that CM will release a windowed panel themselves like they did with the previous Cosmos.

Future Problems:
- Any larger of a PSU is going to have issues, unless I mount it with the fan facing up so that the cables have space to bend and connect. It would likely still be a very tight fit. I'll likely end up having to put a smaller radiator in the bottom and sell my SR1. Alternatively, I somehow "extend" the PSU bracket out further so that the PSU sits outside of the case more.

New Parts:
1x Phobya LED-Flexlight 30cm - One up top and one in the middle plate. Hard-wired into the case-integrated fan/LED controller so I have a button up top to turn on/off the LEDs.
2x Phobya LED Ready Twin 3mm Ultra-Bright UV - for the reservoir
2x Gentle Typhoon AP-1450 120mm - in the side-fan-caddy
1x Noiseblocker Black Silent Fan XK2 140mm
5x Bitfenix Alchemy Premium Sleeved SATA Cables
2x Bitfenix Alchemy Premium Sleeved Internal USB Extension Cable
4x DarkSide Single Braid Cables (ATX, EPS12V, PCI-E 6pin & 8pin)
1x DarkSide Front Panel I/O connection kit
1x Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Blue 3/8ID 5/8OD
Various Bitspower fittings

Existing Parts:
Koolance RP-402X2 Reservoir
Swiftech DDC-35X (in use) and Laing DDC3.25 (for later use perhaps)
Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel-plated CPU block
EK FC580 Nickel + Acetal GPU block
HWLabs SR-1 360 Radiator
3x Gentle Typhoon AP-1450 - on the radiator
Various Bitspower fittings
Phobya LED-Flexlight 30cm

Hardware:
i7 920 @ 4.2GHz
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
6x2GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 Blackline (7-8-7-20)
EVGA GTX580 1536MB SC
Auzentech Bravura
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
4x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID10 via ICH10R)

Total Cost:
NCIX +$103.38
NCIX -$100.00 (gift card!)
P-PCs +$114.79
P-PCS +$96.98
Case +$350
Total: $565.15......having a case that will fit any future upgrade: Priceless!

And here we go with the barrage of pictures!