Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2012, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
Great start man, any plans for a side window.
As much as I want to, cutting these panels is not something I want to do. If I was to do it, I'd definitely want to find someplace with a water/laser-jet in order to cut it perfectly. Maybe in the future, but I'm hoping CM will consider releasing a windowed side panel like they did for the old Cosmos.

For now, I'm doing my best to avoid "damaging" the case ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
So.. it's a little hard to tell by your picture but the rad sits right on the 12volt without any fans. Seems a little weird considering the Cosmos S had more than enough room even with the fans installed. I'm curious why you couldn't adjust it up top a little and put the fans in the top tray with longer bolts. When you had the rad up top for a test fit was it right up against the case interior?

Like I say it's a little hard to tell from the pics.
I would estimate the radiator sits about 25mm away from the motherboard, meaning there was about 5mm of space from the EPS12V connector on the motherboard to the side of the radiator. Obviously not quite enough to plug in the connector.

There's simply no way of fitting a "thick" radiator up top. It has to be a single-pass, ~35mm model and even that would only allow for 1 set of fans under the top cover. I really think CM could have made the whole case 10-20mm taller in order to allow more radiator options up top. However I can't seem them making such a large change at this point in time as it would kill production.

The way I see it though, is I'm now able to buy a slim 360 and fit it up top should the need arise. I don't think there's any hardware combination that wouldn't be able to be cooled with dual 360's.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So I bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the case Thankfully it came out as intended!

Basically from the radiator, up through the wire grommets, and back to the reservoir would of resulted in a ton of tubing and wouldn't look too great. As such, I drilled out a hole to fit my BP drain/fillport that I had in my previous case. I lined it up as best I could with the radiator barbs, and as close as I could to the hard drive bays (but obviously the Dewalt drill is a bit big).

With a 90 and two 45's joined together, I was able to get a pretty much straight run of tubing. The tubing was curved previously, so after a while I think it'll straighten out some more.

Now I'm just waiting on NCIX to ship my damn order! Put it on Wednesday night, but still hasn't shipped. I need my tubing to go any further basically...
Old January 7, 2012, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Majority of the wiring is done, just need to do the SATA cables and then the pump once all the tubing is in.

BTW, is my GPU too bent? I don't know...it looks pretty bad. I could try making the CPU-to-GPU tubing a little shorter in hopes of pulling it up, but it looks like I should have some sort of support rod on the back end of the GPU.

Well I had just enough to get everything plumbed up other than from the GPU to the radiator.

Old January 7, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does look a little bent, but cards with massive HSF bend more then that so you should be fine.
Old January 7, 2012, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

So what exactly is the purpose of the hugeness of this case? Lots of hard drive slots?
The mobo looks like an ITX in that thing!
Old January 7, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

that card is seriously bent i would get some bracing on that
Old January 7, 2012, 07:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison Ivy View Post
So what exactly is the purpose of the hugeness of this case? Lots of hard drive slots?
The mobo looks like an ITX in that thing!
It's made to fit anything imaginable I'd say! It did have 11 hard drive slots, but I removed 6 of them. Basically its designed for XL-ATX boards, or even larger ones like EVGA's SR-2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
that card is seriously bent i would get some bracing on that
Any suggestions? Ideally something that doesn't require much modification on my part...
Old January 7, 2012, 08:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Backplate perhaps?

If its EVGA get one of those ones?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 7, 2012, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Backplate perhaps?
I have the EK backplate on it already, obviously that doesn't do anything
Old January 7, 2012, 09:42 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Cut a length of wood paint it black and stick it between the card and the floor of the mobo area won't look pretty but it should work if you won't be moving the case around much. I guess some acrylic would work too.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.