Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2012, 10:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh, so it is possible to fit a 360 rad down there.

Here's a thought, how about using Lian Li's PS extender? Im sure you can gain another 1.5" down there.

Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

Damn, looks like i might have to save up and get myself one of these bad boys.

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old January 4, 2012, 11:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Seems pretty darn cramped for such a large case.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 5, 2012, 07:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post

Its only cramped though because of what he is throwing down there in terms of Watercooling.
Otherwise the Towers I have can FIT inside of that case.

Just look at the size comparisions on the first page.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 5, 2012, 07:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
Here's a thought, how about using Lian Li's PS extender? Im sure you can gain another 1.5" down there.

Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.
Well it already comes with one, perhaps not quite as long though. To use Lian-Li's I'd have to drill out new holes, which I'm trying to avoid at all costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
I'm going against what it was designed for, so obviously there will be space issues ;) The upper chamber though is going to be very sparse though.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Humm...mixed feelings. The last two Coolermaster cases I owned had enough space to easily mount the SR1 in the top with push-pull.

Mounting it in the bottom is not an option for me, as I have the 1000AX Corsair which is longer than the 850 you have mounted in there. I like the idea of a bottom mount, as I could keep the noisy fans away from the top where I would hear them, but I would prob still go with the 240mm rad as intended by the case designers.

Is there a slim rad that will do push-pull in there at the top, that performs like the SR1?
Fold for team #54196
Old January 5, 2012, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Is there a slim rad that will do push-pull in there at the top, that performs like the SR1?
Unlikely...the radiator would have to be 25mm exactly, along with 25mm fans in order to fit inside the case, and the other set of 25mm fans would go under the top cover. No radiator (that I'm aware of) is 25mm thick, most start at about 35mm. That means you could only get 1 set of fans in, under the top cover. If you put fans on the interior, you'll have clearance issues with your motherboard.

Regardless though, I have much more space to "play" with compared to my FT01.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even the old and flawed Cosmos S had enough room up top for a push/pull on a slim rad...

I'm sorry to hear that critical design flaws continue to dog the Cosmos series.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 5, 2012, 09:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Unlikely...the radiator would have to be 25mm exactly, along with 25mm fans in order to fit inside the case, and the other set of 25mm fans would go under the top cover. No radiator (that I'm aware of) is 25mm thick, most start at about 35mm. That means you could only get 1 set of fans in, under the top cover. If you put fans on the interior, you'll have clearance issues with your motherboard.

Regardless though, I have much more space to "play" with compared to my FT01.
This makes me sad. I had already guessed as much by looking through Daz's store.

I think this will be a major issue with this case. Most rigs I see have rads with push-pull triple rads in the top, and many cases in (and below) this price range will accommodate this configuration easily.

Yes, you could look for a mobo that has the power connector in just the right location to make it barely fit, but most folks in this price range will easily go through 2-3 upgrades in a single case, and they will not want to be restricted in this manner.

For some this will be a non-issue, but as someone who has gone through two case upgrades with a top-mounted rad in push-pull as a case requirement, I can def say that this is a common requirement for folks and unless some easy mod becomes apparent for this case soon, this will be an issue for folks in this segment.

And before someone says "yes but this is not a water cooling-focussed case", one quick look at the CM site shows water cooling capabilities as top priority. For a $350 case that highlights water cooling, a push-pull triple rad is a must I say.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 5, 2012, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would say CM designed the case around the assumption people only run 1 set of fans on their radiators, and use the more standard single-pass designs that come in around 35mm. In this configuration, you could fit a 360 and 240 in the case no problem. You could even fit a 120/140mm on the rear fan too. To go even more extreme, you could fit a 180/200mm in the front and remove all the HDD bays. Potentially speaking, you could have more than enough radiator surface area for the most demanding of systems.

I'm by no means saying this is the best idea, but there's no one-size-fits-all case IMO. We all have our own wants/needs, especially with regards to styling. I'm recieving no compensation from any parties, it's merely my POV. There's a solution to every problem if you're willing to think outside the box

Anyways, I fixed up the radiator mounting (for the most part). I was able to use the existing holes already in the HDD cage vertical supports. Got rid of the provided radiator brackets. This means the front of the radiator is secured, but the end near the PSU isn't, thus I have an eraser sitting under it for now. Obviously I need to find a more permanent solution.

It clears up the tightness by the PSU thankfully. The cables are no more strained than they were in my FT01 with them bending sharply into the backside of the case, so I don't think I'll have any issues.

Kind of hard to photograph without some proper lighting (which I don't have) and my laptop's LCD is pretty crappy, so "auto tone" hopefully is good enough

Old January 5, 2012, 10:30 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

I'd also note that without the bottom hard drive cages, it is possible to mount up to 2 x 240mm radiators on their side in that space. If you're of a modder's mindset, you can also fit a quad radiator up top with pull fans beneath the top cover. (link)

CM Blog, CM Forums, CMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? -
CM FAQ, Live Support