Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The beauty nakid, and the beauty 11 rivets later.

Quick little how to decage a rv02-ew /ft02:

1) Remove the 2 screws per fan holding in the fan assembly and slide them out
2) Remove the 3 screws holding the fan mounts to the case and pop out the plastic hooks from the bottom
3) Remove the 6 screws, 3 per side holding on the front bezel and pinch the plastic hooks in to pop off the front
4) Drill out the 4 rivets that hold the hdd cage from the front, the 2 that hold the cage to the 5.25 bays on the left side, the 2 that hold the cage to the back of the mobo tray and then the 3 that hold it to the 5.25 bays on the right side

and you have yourself a really nice case in two pieces.
Attached Images

Old January 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Did a quick test fit with nothing mounted to see what it'll be like.

Also for those wondering the rad comes with screw that don't fit, you're gonna want to go out to home depo and get some 35mm long screws for it.
Attached Images

Old January 22, 2012, 06:12 PM

My System Specs

Sh**. I totally forgot to buy new mounting bolts. I haven't been able to find good long bolts/screws here locally. Hopefully the Koolance 38mm radiator fan mounts I have will work. What do you plan to do w/ the HDD cage? Thankfully I already have a 3-drive cage from my old FT01BW. So I won't need to modify anything.
Old January 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll be stopping at home depot tomorrow for some dremel cutting disks and I'll be cutting the cage down to 3 bays and mounting it so the drives are horizontal. Then I'm securing it back to the case with 4-40 screws + nuts.

If I make a mess of the drive cage and it ends up FUBAR then I'll convert 2 5.25" bays into 3.5" drive bays. I'll just be using painter's tape and a dremel to cut the steel cage and hope that it works. Not too sure how it should be done as this is my first mod.

Last edited by jibz; January 22, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Test fitting my mobo, seeing if I can get a clean straight tube CPU to GPU.

I'm not too sure if I can get a clean straight tubing from the CPU-RAD as I need to get between the ram and the VRM heatsink, which happens to have a raystorm mounting post right between the two.
Attached Images

Old January 24, 2012, 08:39 AM

My System Specs

You haven't mounted the radiator yet eh? You don't plan on using the fan shrouds/filters?
Old January 24, 2012, 10:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Filters will be velcro'd to the bottom of the case and the two outer fan will be mounted to the radiator brackets included with the case. In turn the brackets will be velcro'd into the the case to dampen vibration and keep it in place. Going a little velcro crazy.

As for rad grill for ontop, I'd still like to find a solution, and I don't think the 180mm silverstone fan grills are a good solution as the rounded hole blocks alot of airflow and I'd like to have more positive pressure in the case especially when running the fans on low speed. Ideally a sheet of that 24"x12" honey comb mesh from MNPC tech cut down to 21x7 and sprayed black (or white ) would be the perfect solution. But the inconvenience of a $24 + international shipping, time and duty are deterring me from that solution.

As for my progress today, I took an hour bus ride out to Canada computers for a low profile sound card, as a full size card will not fit under an EK link for their SLI bridges. I stopped in at the homedepot across the road whom didn't have any dremel accessories, delaying my project for the day :(.

Last edited by jibz; January 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Alright I made it to the depot afterall I got some white velcro ^_^ and dremel metal cutting heads.

Here are the screws you're going want for mounting 180mm fans to a rad and my first cut ever for my first case mod ever.
Attached Images

Old January 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Radiator is now fully mounted on velcro strips to dampen and secure it.

I made the idiotic mistake of not looking at which side the inlet and outlet were on and mounted my fans with the wires coming out the front side, but you can't see that with the side on
Attached Images

Old January 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

it's been a long day so far.
Attached Images