Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
I'm assuming that red thing is the resi. Can you not turn that thing upside down and shorten your tube runs? it looks like the run from the cpu to the resi will interfere with your video card.

I could... but if the ports were at the top, it would no longer function as a res and thus be rendered surplus. (I wouldn't even have to remove the res... the top and bottom caps are threaded and interchangable)

I had the cards in place while I was roughing in the loop to ensure that there aren't any clearance issues with the cards installed, and that I'd be able to remove / install them without too much trouble.

edit: Looking at the way the loop is currently laid out, I suspect I'll just pick up a few 90 deg barbs for the next version of the loop (might not be too long in coming). That way I can rotate the rad barbs back towards the front and run the great majority of the tubing on the R/H side.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 1, 2012, 12:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I mentioned some clearance issues after I swapped in the deeper Scythe fans so here's the shots of what I'm talking about.

The 8 pin EPS12V cable is now a major pain in the but to get to... I might have been able to muscle it in, but in the end it was just much easier to lower the rad for access. On the plus side, TT has included an extension cable which I was able to use and can now leave in place hanging out of the back.

Memory access is also a bit funky now.... In order to release installed memory I have to push down on the tabs using a screwdriver, and getting that satisfying "click" which lets you know that memory is properly locked down requires that I access it from the rear of the case.

Overall, these may seem like small things, but it's a pitb and something I didn't think I'd be dealing with on a case as large as this for WC installations.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 1, 2012, 06:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... well, I've got all of the cables and hardware installed in the case, which is currently running a second overnight leak test to ensure thatI didn't lodge something loose while trying to shoehorn everything in (yes I said "shoehorn", and I'll explain why at the end of the build..... ;) ).

The back wiring is "managed", and the case side did actually fit on, but the pics I took make it look pretty messy so I'm gonna have another look at it after the wiring has had a chance to settle overnight.... :)

With any luck we'll be a go for launch tomorrow.

Old January 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
MVP

Man that really is a tight squeeze. Looking good though. :)
Old January 2, 2012, 12:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

After a few final glitches this morning I've finally got it up and running. Temps are as good (slightly better actually) than I had with the Cosmos S, and the side fan directional baffles seemed to make a difference of 3c+ when directed on the SLI'd 560 ti cards under full load. The Scythes even seem to be doing a great job on the CPU while running at 1200 RPM which is night and day when compared to the 2K setting WRT noise levels. In fact, with the scythes turned down, and the case fans set to low, I can hear the water gurgling in the res.... ;) While I'm on the subject of noise levels.... not a noise, but certainly a sensory input.... the pump is mounted to the frame using velcro which I would have thought would deaden the pump vibration... for some reason that's not the case, and I've got an industrial pulsing vibration going through the case... now some might be turned off by that, but in this case I think it's kinda cool and fits with the theme.... :)

Final filled weight with all hardware installed comes in a little over 50lbs at 51.2 lbs.

First impressions of the case running are pretty good. I like the different selections for the 200mm fan lights, although the "program" for the side fan is lost when you open the door and thus it returns to blue.... if you want the front and back matched up you need to set the front back to blue before closing the door and making the contacts. Switches are easy to use and well laid out, and all of the front panel plugs seem to be working well.

So... what went right, and what went wrong????

In the first place, I still love the look of this case, and I'd easily recommend it to somebody who wants to do a basic WC and/or closed loop/air build. OTOH, the inability to easily mod the case to accept a 360 rad up top, as well as the inability to run anything other than a standard depth fan in single config without running into clearance issues seems quite strange for a case of this size.... I could live with a 240 rad, but I'd want access to a push/pull config or at the very least deep high CFM fan installs without clearance issues before recommending the case to somebody for an easy WC install. That said.... push/pull and/or depth issues could be easily resolved with a snap-in upper fan grill replacement designed to accomodate fans up top while still keeping them within the confines of the case.

The other major issue I ran into was completely of my own making... right from the get-go I'd decided that I wanted to fit that big @$$ res into the case, and I didn't plan the loop well enough to fit the way I'd envisioned it. As it stands, I need some 90deg barbs to do the loop properly, and I'd like to swap the rad around so that the barbs are facing the front rather than being at the rear where they currently are (that decision was made mostly based on the lack of proper 90 deg barbs). The res itself should also be mounted further forward so that I'm not so cramped trying to attach cables to the motherboard. If you look at the image above, you'll see that there is still a ton of room forward where the res could have been mounted... I had initially intended to mount the res to that 45 deg "join" between the motherboard and storage areas, but the flat surface of the motherboard "tray" just seemed so inviting and I went with that.

What I ended up with was a loose loop, and a build that felt like it was going into a small mid-sized case rather than the full size case which is the whole idea behind purchasing a case the size of a small bus. I suspect I'll be re-doing the loop sometime in the near future, but that I'll do a bit more planning ahead of time. (Always easier to plan a loop once you have the case in hand, and have mucked about in it for a while..... ;) ) On a positive note.... I'm quite pleased with how those stand-offs turned out, and will be returning to the hardware store in question in order to purchase some in bulk to keep in my tickle trunk. :)

As far as the minor annoyances go.... I was less than pleased with XFX's requirement for full registration in order to access any support... all I wanted to do was to download the PSU's manual to get a look at the back plate for the modular plugs. I find it a lot easier to install the modular cables in situ rather than before installing the PSU in the case. Worst of all is that after jumping through all of the hoops, there was no image/manual and I had to take the PSU out to get a good pic of it anywise.........

Other than that... I've enjoyed the build, and look forward to putting the level 10 GT into a prominent display location in my man cave (oh... forgot... not supposed to use that phrase any more..... :) ).

Old January 2, 2012, 12:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

With my case (Chaser MK-1) I can do a push pull on top if i mount the rad and 1 fan inside the case and a second fan under the top cover where the stock 200mm is placed. Does you're case have this sort of space? In a couple of the photos it looked like it might have.

Old January 2, 2012, 12:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thermaltake's Level 10 GT as a WC build

Pros

• Unique looks
  • Great cable management
  • Built in Hot Swap bays
  • Pro looking Sata Power cables for hot swap bays
  • Best designed side door / fan I've ever worked with
  • Integrated Fan/Light controller w/ 3 colours & 2 disco light selections
  • Room for a no-mod top mount 240 rad (with a caveat)
  • USB 3.0 & Esata up top
  • New(er) revisions ship with USB3 motherboard header plug rather than pass through
  • Plenty of front panel USB
  • Solid build
Cons
  • Currently no push/pull rad install options
  • Even single high CFM fans (deeper than standard) cause clearance issues
  • Heavy!!!!
  • Integrated Fan/Light controller w/ 3 colours & 2 disco light selections
  • Sata data connectors don't latch to hotswap bay connectors
  • Not truly modular, but the design of the HS bays takes up quite a bit of possibilies on the mod front
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
With my case (Chaser MK-1) I can do a push pull on top if i mount the rad and 1 fan inside the case and a second fan under the top cover where the stock 200mm is placed. Does you're case have this sort of space? In a couple of the photos it looked like it might have.
On the GT, the 200mm fan is mounted on the bottom of the "roof". looks like the fans on yours are mounted on the top. To make matter worse... the design of the top wouldn't allow for a clean looking top mount fan as there would be holes left over from where the 200mm fan initially installed.

Edit: (going to update a few things in here as I find them.... ;) )

1200 vice 2000 RPM with a 100% cpu folding load = 3c difference after 1/2 hour. (24c vice 27c, but this board reports at least 10c low so the numbers are only relative). 3c might not seem like much (and it's certainly not worth the extra noise unless absolutely necessary for the OC... ;) ) but it is a significant difference.

Edit 2:

Temps while folding are keeping me happy.....

SMP4 (more work done by the GPUs so don't want to choke them off) + 2 100% stock twin frozr 560ti so assume 4X100% cores + another 25% shared over the other two.....

Case fans @ high + Scythes @ 2K RPM = 67c, 61c on the GPUs and 25c on the GPU.

Pretty damn good if you ask me.... ;)

edit 3:

Same setup as above (SMP4 @ 3.6 + 2X GPU folders) but with slight OC on GPUs + slight Voltage bump....

Scythe @ 2K = GPU 69c/62c with fans @ 63/58% respectively CPU @ 25c (add at least 10c for low reading bios)

Scythe @ 1230 RPM = GPU 77/65 with fans @ 68/59% respectively CPU @ 29c (add at least 10c for low reading bios)

Last edited by sswilson; January 3, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 04:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quick bump to give temps that I've been editing into the last post their own placeholder....

Scythes 1200 vice 2000 RPM with a 100% cpu folding load = 3c difference after 1/2 hour. (24c vice 27c, but this board reports at least 10c low so the numbers are only relative). 3c might not seem like much (and it's certainly not worth the extra noise unless absolutely necessary for the OC... ;) ) but it is a significant difference.

Temps while folding are keeping me happy.....

SMP4 CPU @ 3.6 (more work done by the GPUs so don't want to choke them off) + 2 100% stock twin frozr 560ti so assume 4X100% cores + another 25% shared over the other two.....

Case fans @ high + Scythes @ 2K RPM = 67c, 61c on the GPUs and 25c on the CPU.

Pretty damn good if you ask me.... ;)

Same setup as above (SMP4 @ 3.6 + 2X GPU folders) but with slight OC on GPUs + slight Voltage bump....

Scythe @ 2K = GPU 69c/62c with fans @ 63/58% respectively CPU @ 25c (add at least 10c for low reading bios)

Scythe @ 1230 RPM = GPU 77/65 with fans @ 68/59% respectively CPU @ 29c (add at least 10c for low reading bios)

Old January 3, 2012, 07:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

That looks like a pretty heavy system, you ever worry that your desk might collapse?

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope... gotta pretty hefty desk to put it up on.... :)

I said I was going to have a look at SLI + the 990FX chipset once I got this all built with the new PSU and after dialing in my 24/7 Folding stable OC, I finally got around to doing some quick testing to verify if there's been any improvement from the abysmal SLI performance when I first tried it... (I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but I can't find the old thread where we were discussing the lack of drivers, and poor SLI performance so this will have to do....)

For those who don't remember, many of us were questioning whether poor drivers or poor chipset hardware was the cause of SLI performance issues on the 990FX. Basically we were seeing the expected improvements in synthethic benchmarks (like 3Dmark), but weren't seeing any improvement over a single card in 80%+ of games we tried (DAO was the main one I remember trying). What it looked like was happening was that the two cards were being loaded exactly the same as a single card, but just sharing the load (i.e. 2 cards @ 30% vice a single card @ 60%).

I'm happy to announce that they do appear to have tweaked vid drivers / and or game profiles so that SLI now does seem to offer some kind of improvement... A quick run through DAO showed an improvement of at least 20% with the two cards actually hitting more than 100% (60% each) combined. It may not sound like much, but I don't have the monitor real estate to really tax a single card let alone 2, so I'm happy with any improvement at all.

The first session was SLI and the second was a single card. Again.. doesn't look like much, but it's a marked improvement over absolutely no SLI benefit at all.

As far as the build goes... OC'ing went well, temps are well within limits for 24/7 folding. CPU maxes out at 31c recorded (board reads at least 10c low), and GPUs max out at 73c & 62c with the fan profiles set fairly low (higher temp is pretty close to 1:1 so it runs at aprox. 72% RPM.

edit: As far as the loop goes.... I'm not really happy with the way it turned out (works fine, doesn't look quite as good as I'd like) and am already working on plans for Ver. 2. Gonna be shorter runs, the res is going to move forward (or be replaced all together), and IMO, this case really cries out for 1/2 tubing rather than the 3/8 stuff I used on this build.

Last edited by sswilson; January 10, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Tags
amd x6 1090t , barb , coolstream rad , fesser , fitting , level , nvidia 560ti , sabertooth 990fx , supreme hf , thermaltake , water cooling , xfx power supply , xt 240