Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Wireless FAIL.

The machine kernel panics when you enable the wifi cards.(Page fault in kernel mode)....I'm not the only one having the issue tho , I'm sure it'll be fixed.

The wired parts are flawless tho , The interface is much improved too.

do you mean that the wireless n failed?
Old November 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ah no....the wireless cards fail upon 'enable' and the machine goes to bsd console.

It's a known issue , it may have been fixed already even , I hav'nt checked the latest releases.I'm just running an off the shelf AP in the meantime , but when I get some time I'll update it and try again.

Old November 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This is simply awesome.

Quick question, I have a crappy 3mb connection, and an off-the-shelve tp-link router.

Would it be worth, as a pet project to learn new things to use an old p4 machine I have laying about to do something like this? I dont expect to get any improvements but just asking mainly : )

Or would it be a waste of several weeks of trial and error for someone who´s never to "make" a router if you know what I mean.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Oh try it out forsure if you've got some hardware laying around.PFSense is commercial grade router software .Regardless of your connection , it will improve things !

It's really not hard to learn, they have tutorials for most things.There's nothing to setting up the hardware.

pfSense Open Source Firewall Distribution - Home

Old November 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

awesome, thanks for the link!! ^^ pet project for the new year :D
Old November 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess it would matter if the Wireless cards are Linux compatible?
Old November 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nope.They need to be BSD compatible , but this is not that kind of problem , it's a programming error.

I use Intel NIC's and 'atheros' wifi cards... They are both fully supported ,there's just a gui-to-program error is my guess.

Like I said , there's a good chance it's been fixed.

Old November 25, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hehe I have Tried the BSD OS before and it doesn't like me but it might like me for firewalling hehe
I had searched for Linux compatible wifi cards never thought of BSD compatible wifi card
Old December 7, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am wonder if ( for myself anyway) it would be better to just build one of these with a single wifi card Wireless N and a single pci 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps lan card then plug that into a switch I normally only run 2 PCs and a laptop at one time . or would you think that it would be better to buy 3 PCI 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps lan cards and go with out a switch?
Old December 7, 2011, 11:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

I don't know specifically for pfSense, but routing in general if it's for your home network, I'd get 2 NICs and a switch.

One NIC is in from ISP, other NIC is out to home network (towards switch) so you only route the traffic and the switch will take care of sharing the rest.