Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2011, 11:29 AM
Allstar

The "Serenity" Kanji 2x 120mm fan grill is cnc milled from 1/4" thick Copper. It was Flame colored with Acetylene Torch.

Old November 21, 2011, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Absolutely LOVE the patina created by heating the copper! It's creative touches like this that always seem to make your work stand out that much more from most others. Keep up the great work!
Old November 22, 2011, 08:45 AM
Allstar

Thanks for tuning in and commenting! I don't wanna ship this one off, I want to keep it :D hahaha...Ok, for the lower two 5.25 bays, installing Alphacool's LCD, 240x128 Pixel Blue Negative. Making a "distressed look" overlay applique for the screen. LCD will have Heads-Up Display with current system stats, Logos and images from firefly, including the Allied Spacecraft Crest logo, all programmed by Toby Kirkby aka tobyak ...and best quotes from the Serenity Movie and firefly series, like "Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my gorram ship for no apparent reason?!" :duh:

fyi: performance-pcs sells the Silver version of Alphacool LCD for $50 less than Black one, so save $$$ and paint it Black!

Old November 22, 2011, 03:23 PM
Allstar

Flamed Copper "SERENITY" in Kanji, 240 grill installed.... knicked & painted socket head screws and dry brush painted the inside / outter edges of the grill....

Old November 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
Allstar

Here is the BLUE SUN 120mm fan grill, weathered just a tad, before mounting over the slightly abused factory rear exhaust...

Old November 24, 2011, 07:21 AM
Rookie

Wow man you're a freaking artist, its just simply AWE inspiring

for fun how many hours have u spent on this mod?

Epic job
Old November 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
Allstar

Have lost count...haha, glad you like it...UPS misrouted the LCD, it won't arrive till Monday.I had rare opportunity to bring the PC over to Radar Studios for Brian Garrity to take photos, but it had to be tonight. So, to fill the three empty bays, on limited Holiday time today, I'm gonna improvise and use Honeycomb Modders Mesh over the factory 5.25 bay covers, which fits overall theme nicely. I'll paint them Copper and applied "weathered" effect too.

Old November 24, 2011, 08:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Where did you find to order the LCD Display?
Old November 24, 2011, 09:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnpctech View Post
Flamed Copper "SERENITY" in Kanji, 240 grill installed.... knicked & painted socket head screws and dry brush painted the inside / outter edges of the grill....

Not sure If I am seeing it right but in the first picture the characters are written correctly and in the second and third pics they are mirrored. I don't want to be nit picky but, unless I am reading it wrong, you would need to turn the panel in the second two pictures over for it to read correctly. The first picture has them correct though.
Old November 25, 2011, 08:48 AM
Allstar

@Birk, PPCs, I posted direct link

@tianfeng, yep the shot was taken sideways

I arrived at the shop after Turkey Time, I had 2 hours to mod before I had to be at Brian's studio for photos. 1st thing, Finish the Honeycomb Modders Mesh 5.25 bay cover, then paint it Copper. Next thing was painting the 1/4" thick Copper "SHINY" plate with "aged" effect. For the 3rd open bay, I grabbed an Logysis 5.25 Bay Fan Controller. I knicked it's bezel edges and the screen with my Dremel and a cutting discs, then painted the edges Silver, for an exposed metal effect. Once everything was installed, I did final touch-ups with a paint brush. I glanced at the clock, I had 10 minutes before 7pm, and took these two pics of these mods with my phone, before leaving for Brian's studio.

More to come!