Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2011, 12:27 PM
Allstar

found out this morning on facebook, the SKULL image, (2nd from top) states "RISK" in Arabic ....OK, I can use that one, but I need to somebody who can read Kanji! No clue what any of that says and I don't wanna insult anyone! .....I presume the show designer already thought of this...haha

Here is an outstanding deal, LCD Temp Meter with thermo sensor and Molex, $7.88 Shipped, on Ebay. and It works great, and I didn;t have to wait 6 months for it to arrive from China. It only took 1.5 weeks

Ebay Link,
5V Digital Thermometer Temperature Meter Gauge Dual LCD | eBay

Here it is, mounted on the top Power panel for this build (more pics to come), but would be easy to mount in 3.5 bay face plate.

Old November 7, 2011, 04:42 AM
Allstar

The paint effect on this gun is pretty close to what I'm striving for on exterior....Except the case edges will expose steel.

I went over the edges of Corsair's factory "grey" finish on the panels and top cover with an orbital sander, then painted everything Flat Black, after that cures, I'll go over the surface with red Scotch brite pad, and some of the edges with 80 grit sandpaper.

for Wrinkled Metal effect, to be painted later

Old November 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Allstar

I just received these Firefly Coach Works name & serial plates off Ebay, here.. They're made with Black gloss and brushed aluminum vinyl.. perhaps one on back of the chassis

Old November 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Second language in the Firefly universe was Mandarin Chinese, but you're saying the writing was Japanese?.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:29 PM
Allstar

Yes, I was told it's katakana, but they could be wrong...

After paint has cured, carry handle area is scuffed to show high usage over time.., the top portion of the handle is plastic, so dabbed Aluminum Silver paint along edge, then lightly scuffed it with scotch brite pad, to create illusion of exposed steel beneath the paint...

Old November 7, 2011, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I wouldn't be surprised if it's katakana as the script often looks cool and gets used in media a lot (matrix digital rain for example). Katakana is based of Chinese characters..... works in the end?
Haha what can't you find on ebay
Old November 8, 2011, 03:22 PM
Allstar

Thanks! btw: I have to be careful with those types of effects, like "failing & poorly repaired" exterior elements need to remain intact, esp when the case travels or being handled by "Union" Movers at Trade Shows....lol

Worked on the bezel and Mini Toggle Fan Controller faceplate today, now showing a bit of usage.... (wire bristle brush...hehe)

dabbed Aluminum Silver paint around the I/O openings, then lightly scuffed it with scotch brite pad, to create illusion of exposed steel beneath the paint...

Old November 9, 2011, 07:53 AM
Allstar

I'm going to try printing the graphics from the Serenity PDF on adhesive printer paper.. I've pasted different sizes, I won't be using all of these, just wanted a variation for experimentation. The clarity and sharpness isn't detrimental, since the surface and edges will be weathered with airbrush, then cleared with matte clear...
Old November 9, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That looks absolutely fantastic. I'm a HUGE firefly fan myself. Can't wait to see the finished result.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 11, 2011, 03:17 PM
Allstar

Thank you! progress work on top panel... the tape over the switch will be cherry on top, when everything is assembled ;)