Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Some updates,

I ordered a new Koolance top for a DDC3.25 I'm going to run at 7V. It is supposed to help reduce pump noise due to its mass. The CPX-1 is transmitting a vibration throughout the case which bugs me. It's only audible in a completely silent room, but it has a distinct tone.
Pump Nozzle & Reservoir Base for PMP-400 (60mm OD) - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

The fans were also switched out for S-Flex E fans running at 5V -- no more fan noise. I chopped up an old Thermochill PA120.3 25mm spacing neoprene gasket which did not aid in the S-Flex motor noise, but at least it helps close up gaps.
The GT's even at 5V have a nasty motor growl that is amplified by having three in a row.

RAM will also be changed for G-Skill ECO DDR3-1600 CL8 1.35V for low profile spreaders. The gasket makes the fans sit just a little too high for the Vengeance RAM, and my G-Skill Sniper S.E. require 1.5V otherwise I get BSODs (even though they're rated for 1.25V). Maybe they're just harder to drive?

I've ordered a second Force 120GB refurb for extra storage of games. Not a fan of the new SF2 drives even though the price is coming down significantly. Was very tempted to go with a C400 256GB but I won't use the computer often enough to justify the cost.

Next step is to figure out what video card + waterblock to purchase... I hope next gen cards come out soon (yea right), or at least a good deal for a GTX580 or something pops up. This 6850 is hurting in comparison to my GTX560 Ti in my other rig.
Old September 15, 2011, 06:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The pump top arrived just on time! The boss is away on a weekend trip so I have time to work on my babies.

This pump top has more options compared to an EK top, so I decided to go with this in case I eventually need to have parallel inlet/outlets.
It screams 'quality' and I'm very glad because it's my first ever Koolance purchase.

So with this in my system, the system is pretty much silent. My 5V Noctuas are actually the loudest component now. Gone are the fan growls after switching to S-Flex E's @ 5V, and gone is the CPX1 hum.

The pump top was about $40 and worth every last penny in my opinion. I didn't even need to cut any new tubing!

Now I have to find the motivation to sleeve this replacement pump.

Old September 27, 2011, 01:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So I managed to snag an incredible deal on a GTX580 and am looking at getting a water block for it.
What do you guys think about this Koolance block? Koolance VID-NX580.

NCIX.com - Buy Koolance VID-NX580 Full Cover SLI Ready Video Card Water Block - GeForce GTX 580 GPU Block G1/4 - Koolance - VID-NX580 - in Canada

It looks great and gets me past the EK nickel plated BS, but now I am just fearing that having two blocks on my 7V DDC3.25 may reduce flow to an unacceptable level and make my CPU temps skyrocket. I am anxiously awaiting the new XPSC RayStorm to replace my Apogee XT.
Old September 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would fret not. The DDC is a capable little pump and can easily handle two blocks in a loop.

edit - Oh yeah, 7V. I forgot. Yeah, you're right - at 7V the DDC is nearly useless. With two blocks, it will likely choke. I'd suggest doing the 3.1 solder mod instead of undervolting it if you demand silence.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!

Last edited by Dead Things; September 27, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old September 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, that chart is exactly what I was looking for :S

The GTX580 is surprisingly quiet after using the fan speed unlocker found here: EVGA GTX 580 Fanspeed Unlocker v1.1 Released - 1/13/2011
So for now I've opted to go with air on the GPU until it bugs me enough to rebuild the loop. Fan speed hovers around 38-42% at approximately 1400-1500RPM.
I'm glad I switched to nVIDIA for this round, as my previous XFX 6950@6970 was a leaf-blower in comparison. My how the tables have turned...
The only problem I have is now I'm limited to dual screens unless I get another GPU (I have 20-30-20 in PLP configuration).

Because I have not yet purchased the GPU block, I had to do SOMETHING else...

I got frustrated at my build because I'm using a MicroATX board in a regular ATX case. I would have had to purchase a new PCI-E sound card using the GENE-Z, but I already have a modded X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI.

Instead, I decided to rip out the GENE-Z and swap in my other P8P67 Deluxe.
All PCI/PCI-E slots will be usable and no hardware would be put to waste.
I also opted to finally install my G-Skill ECO RAM 1600-8-8-8-24 @ 1.35V with low profile heat spreaders.

Now almost everything in this case is put to use properly.
The front three drive bays are:
DVD burner (may be swapped with a BR burner?)
Antec EasySATA bay
USB3.0 3.5" bracket that comes with the mobo.

Expansion slots:
GTX580
X-Fi XtremeMusic

Pics will be updated later this weekend as I need to clean up the house before my parents arrive tomorrow :)

Last edited by zoob; September 30, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old February 2, 2012, 07:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Small update, sorry no pics.

I took out the GTX580 because I haven't been gaming as much, and want to bring down my idle power usage. I put in my 6850 SCS3 and then I was very annoyed with my pump vibrations transmitting to the case. I figured I needed to decouple the pump, but there is no space in my build... so I dug up some old Tygon R-3400 that I had left over from a very very very old build. Replaced the two pieces directly attached to my pump, as well as the one piece that runs from the rad to the T fitting.

With the pump at 7V, it is actually quieter than with the old stiffer Primoflex tubing with the pump at 5V.
With the pump at 5V, the Noctua 120mm fan@5V motor growl (soft mounted with rubber decouplers) is about the loudest noise, but I can still pick out the pump noise if I concentrate.

Last edited by zoob; February 2, 2012 at 08:03 PM.