Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Sleeving

I guess this would be the best spot for this topic seeing as it's modding. Feel free to move it if not.

I'm looking at buying some sleeving so I can sleeve my front panel connectors, front USB, and my front audio. Also looking to sleeve my case fans as well. What size sleeving and heatshrink would you guys recommend for these?
Old July 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I bought all my sleevings/heat shrink and even tools from this guy:

MDPC Sleeve-Kit | Sleeve-Kits | Sleeve Kits + Tools | MDPC Sleeve | MDPC-X International

That's the exact kit i got. If you sign up, you can get some discount on shipping. Took about a week to get my order processed to receiving it (from Germany mind you). Great experience from Nils!

And you get an awesome cartoon/your name drawn on your order/packages.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old August 1, 2011, 01:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Or you can consider Dazmode Darkside...

DARKSIDE SLEEVING : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

Should be the same thing or super duper close and saves money on shipping and helps a guy that supports the forums. Truly a nice guy and always willing to help out.

On the other hand I have dealt with Nils on many occasions and have nothing bad to say about MDPC stuff and service. All top notch and shipping to me was actually quite blistering. I think I had it in hand in a week and Nils said the record to Canada was 4 days :)

Just thought I would give another options to consider. I actually really like the look of the Graphite Darkside. If I didn't have like 400ft of MDPC I would grab some.
Old August 5, 2011, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Or you can consider Dazmode Darkside...

DARKSIDE SLEEVING : DazMode, The Best Canadian PC Watercooling and Modding Store!

Should be the same thing or super duper close and saves money on shipping and helps a guy that supports the forums. Truly a nice guy and always willing to help out.

On the other hand I have dealt with Nils on many occasions and have nothing bad to say about MDPC stuff and service. All top notch and shipping to me was actually quite blistering. I think I had it in hand in a week and Nils said the record to Canada was 4 days :)

Just thought I would give another options to consider. I actually really like the look of the Graphite Darkside. If I didn't have like 400ft of MDPC I would grab some.

Thanks so much about posting about Darkside Sleeving. This is going to be my first build where I truly try and make the innards of my case appear crisp and professional instead a tangle of wires.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
Thanks so much about posting about Darkside Sleeving. This is going to be my first build where I truly try and make the innards of my case appear crisp and professional instead a tangle of wires.

No problem :-)

Sleeving is a huge PITA until you get the hang of it and find ways to deal with how boring it can be. I also suggest reading as many guides as you can and sleeve at least one PSU before doing the one you want to truly be proud of. I found it actually took two PSUs and a whole system before I was good enough to do something I was proud of.

One tip I found very useful and made a huge increase in the overall look is how little shrink tube you need to use to maintain a good grip on the sleeve. A quarter inch of sleeve is enough to securely grip the sleeve if using good shrink tube. Any more looks not good IMHO and just wastes it. Trick is to make exactly the same lengths over and over again and get everything uniform. Then you get that clean look :-)
Old August 6, 2011, 02:22 PM

My System Specs

I think I did around 4 power supplies before I did a truly decent job.

As for heatshrink 1.5cm is what I would suggest. About 3/4 of it will be inside the connector.

As for the front panel wires. You'll need larger sleeve for the USB, audio, firewire. 1/4" at the minimum. Or you can use the 3/8" which is generally used for SATA cables.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I think I did around 4 power supplies before I did a truly decent job.

As for heatshrink 1.5cm is what I would suggest. About 3/4 of it will be inside the connector.

As for the front panel wires. You'll need larger sleeve for the USB, audio, firewire. 1/4" at the minimum. Or you can use the 3/8" which is generally used for SATA cables.

I guess I said that a little wrong. I meant a 1/4" of EXPOSED sleeving

Any more and it looks like crap. Dangals has a great tut on XS and if you go with MDPC you get access to a forum with fantastic info on'how'to do things perfect.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:42 PM

My System Specs

I hate the mods on the MDPC-X forum. Disagree with one of them and you get banned.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I hate the mods on the MDPC-X forum. Disagree with one of them and you get banned.

Hahha. Never really posted, but now I know not to bother LOL

I only post on AVS and here anymore. My retard limit has been reached long ago.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:

Alrighty. Thanks for the info.