Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2011, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

It looks like the only one is from super micro themselves.

Supermicro SNK-P0044P
Supermicro | Support | Thermal Components Matrix

Provantage has them on special order, meaning 3-4 weeks
PROVANTAGE: Supermicro SNK-P0044P 1U Passive Heatsink-for X8QBE X8QB6

Is the recessed IHS only for your motherboard (if you can call it that) or all 1567 motherboards? Seems like a poor design choice.

Edit: My other thought was to have a cpu heatsink sandwhich, with copper sheet metal as the toppings, meaning:

Heatsink
Copper sheet
CPU

Not the most ideal solution, actually, I wouldn't want to have anyone resort to that.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Holy crap. I never saw the board's lay-out before your pics, and I now understand the issue. Unless you go for the SM-specific HSFs (that NI3 linked), you'll have to go either for water or custom HSFs (talk to Braineater).

Damn.
Old December 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have access to a milling machine? I think you could custom mill these so that they would fit. This would also fix the screw-mounting direction issue too... My only concern would be if they would dissipate enough heat with a smaller fin-surface area post milling. You'd also still have to rig up something to do with the fan(s).

I also suggest you upgrade to Single-Malt Scotch, since you're throwing the barn at this project. I only mix 40 Creek. Straight is SM Scotch, neat
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 22, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
It looks like the only one is from super micro themselves...[snip]...Provantage has them on special order, meaning 3-4 weeks...[snip]...Is the recessed IHS only for your motherboard (if you can call it that) or all 1567 motherboards? Seems like a poor design choice.
Indeed, I have placed numerous orders for both the SNK-P0044P's (acceptable) and SNK-P0045P's (preferred) at numerous retailers throughout both Canada and the US including Provantage. In every case, I have received a phone call later saying that no shipment was forthcoming. So far, the only retailer to not cancel my order and tell me flat-out that no stock will ever be available is Metafore. They continue to insist that stock will emerge in the new year. I placed that order on Oct. 7. I'm currently trying a different tact - dealing directly with Supermicro RMA. Since the retail channel appears to be a dead-end, I'm hoping that maybe some heatsinks have been returned to Supermicro for whatever reason.

The socket design is standard for LGA1567 with small retention "ears" (for lack of a better word) that hold the CPU down by the IHS. It is for this reason that the IHS is actually sunken in relation to the retention mechanism of the socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Holy crap. I never saw the board's lay-out before your pics, and I now understand the issue. Unless you go for the SM-specific HSFs (that NI3 linked), you'll have to go either for water or custom HSFs (talk to Braineater).

Damn.
Damn indeed! Water is, unfortunately, a definite non-starter for this rig due to space and enclosure restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Do you have access to a milling machine? I think you could custom mill these so that they would fit...[snip]...I also suggest you upgrade to Single-Malt Scotch, since you're throwing the barn at this project. I only mix 40 Creek. Straight is SM Scotch, neat
Milling machine? While I may be refinishing my basement, I would hardly describe myself as "handy," at least not to that extent.

And you are talking to a *lover* of Rye. I'll drink the cheapest bloody swill neat - Rye can do no wrong by me. I've always been a CC Classic man, but 40 Creek may slowly but surely be making its way to the top of my list of favourites - at first the stronger maple and vanilla notes were a bit of a turnoff, but I'm learning to love them. Having said that, I'm also a lover of single malts, particular the peatier textures found principally in the Islay, Jura and Skye malts. Laphroiag is my usual go-to but since a bottle is roughly 2x the cost of a bottle of Rye, I keep it as more of a treat for weekends, holidays or when we have company.

With the volume of whisky required to get me through this LGA 1567 fiasco, it behooves me to keep the expensive stuff at bay!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!

Last edited by Dead Things; December 22, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
That's cool. Get it?

Okay, gay joke - I admit it. But 'tis the season for donning gay apparel, is it not? Anyway - I have tried MacGyvering many a solution, but the insurmountable problem is that the IHS for each of the four CPUs is significantly recessed into the socket. That is to say, you need a precisely located heatsink protrusion in order to make contact with the CPU. I've got all kinds of heatsink in my lab - pretty much every CPU socket and a bunch of GPU heatsinks too - and none of them would make contact with the CPU IHS. As a result, I'm stuck trying to find a heatsink designed specifically for LGA 1567. And as it turns out, once I find such a heatsink, it still doesn't fit! So I'm stuck trying to find a heatsink designed specifically for a Supermicro X8QBE-F. And so far, three months of searching have produced bupkis.
What about finding other cheapo cpu heatsinks that are the same size as the cpu and cutting the individual heatsink protrusions and the setting them onto of each cpu and then placing the copper on top of them. the best thing to do would be to take precise measurements and then grinde down the copper so that it would have four protrusions that line up with each cpu
this
SNK-P0045P
2U+ MP Servers
LGA1567

113 x 72 x 65
Screw and Spring

and this
SNK-P0044P
2U MP Servers
LGA1567

Are supposed to be the ones that fit at least I think they are according to the supermicro website hehe if they fit get the taller ones then some how mount two 240mm fans two cool two cpus plus whatever else is under them.

I also seen these on ebay
Dynatron Q3 | eBay

Last edited by Shadowmeph; December 22, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old December 22, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hah. I always forget how much Scotch is up here. I pick mine up on my many military trips down to the states on training and work. Much cheaper there. Makes having a Scotch collection much easier on the pocket book.

I'm not as big of a fan of the peatier Scotches from the islands, My Jura bottle is only 2 drams down :( MacCallan 15 is one of my favs, but I have about two dozen bottles last I counted.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 23, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Supermicro RMA says they have some SNK-P0045Ps! They also say they're closed for the holidays. The waiting game continues...

In the meantime, I may be able to make some progress on Suite 300 over the holidays. And I might as well update you on progress with Shoebox so far, even though we're still waiting on one of the two CPUs...

The Elysium makes the SR-2 look right at home. You'll note that I did, in fact, opt for some of Daz's Darkside cable extensions. They're reasonably priced and look great in the most obvious areas, although they don't help with the jumble of cables coming out of the PSU housing. But for the level of effort they require (i.e., none) that's a compromise I am more than willing to accept!

Once CPU #2 arrives, I'll be able to install the tubing and then Shoebox should be done barring any setbacks.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 24, 2011, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, the SR-2 makes the Elysium look.......small.
Old December 24, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Wow, the SR-2 makes the Elysium look.......small.
Insert mandatory "Thats what she said" comment? That case is HUGE. I didnt even know it existed until that pic, and wow, with a SR-2 inside it...If you didnt know better you'd think it was a normal case with a normal motherboard in it.

I'm anxiously awaiting the SR-x and Asus boards to get released for some 2P 2011 number-action from you cats with too much money
Quote:
Old December 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

where did you end up getting it form, did ncix finally get it on stock?

I know you were on the thread on ncix for bringing them in. PS. where did you fit all the extra cabling, I can't get enough room behind the mobo tray and the case side for any good wire tucking like you have, I'm a little jealous

nice builds!