Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay - I have made some decisions in terms of how I plan to proceed with the farm. These changes will reduce my overall PPD, but will surely improve my overall PPD/watt. And that's a good thing.

First and foremost, I will be going leaner by eliminating two rigs and combining their elements with others. Namely, Rexy and Twofour will be going the way of the dodo I'm afraid. It's funny how I develop these emotional attachments to my machines and I literally feel like I've somehow let Rexy and Twofour down by decommissioning them so soon after launch. Sorry guys!

From Rexy, I will be keeping the ASUS RIIIE and Xeon Q3QS and using them in Suite300 instead of the ASUS P7P55 WS and i7 875k. Now, let's follow the thread here... the ASUS P7P55 WS and i7 875k from Suite300 will then go into P-Delta to replace the ASUS P5Q-E and QX9650. The ASUS P5Q-E and QX9650 will then go into a box that I will be loaning indefinitely to a buddy of mine who needs something that can play games better than his Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

From Twofour, I will be selling the ASUS Z8NA-D6C and trading my retail E5645's for a pair of Xeon Q3QR's (a B0 stepping of the X5675). I will also be selling the E5530's in BOSServer so that the Xeon Q3QS's currently in Shoebox can move to BOSServer and then the Xeon Q3QR's will go into Shoebox.

That's a lot of shifting things around, but I think - in the end - I'll have a better farm to show for it. It was, obviously, the recently announced changes to Bigadv that provided the impetus for these changes, but I realize now that the farm was suffering from sprawl regardless.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old November 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post

First and foremost, I will be going leaner by eliminating two rigs and combining their elements with others. Namely, Rexy and Twofour will be going the way of the dodo I'm afraid. It's funny how I develop these emotional attachments to my machines and I literally feel like I've somehow let Rexy and Twofour down by decommissioning them so soon after launch. Sorry guys!
Haha !!

I understand this this completely.I have found the best way to look at it , is to realize you are making room for more cool stuff.

Old December 21, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Long time with no update, eh? Well, long time with nothing to report I'm afraid. One of the X5675's for Shoebox came DOA and I am still awaiting its replacement. Meanwhile, my search for LGA 1567 heatsinks for Quicksilver has been thwarted at every turn. I *finally* had my shipment arrive from Dynatron today with their 1U heatsinks (indeed the only ones in stock anywhere at any price) and wouldn't you know it, they don't even come close to fitting this board. There really is no conceivably way of modding them to fit either. At least I can use one at a time, though, and in doing so have been able to confirm that the CPUs are all functional. I will spend the rest of the night testing the RAM.

Poor Dead Things is growing quite frustrated with this whole endeavour to be honest. I've resorted to the drink.

Cheers!

Old December 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Wadaya mean it don't fit?!?

Whiskey? Nice. No rocks I hope.
This was my liquor of choice for the evening.

Old December 21, 2011, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Whiskey?
Nope - whisky.

I'll take some pics...

Old December 21, 2011, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's a bummer . I used to love my Whiskey straight up problem is I loved it to much hehe
Old December 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay, so here's a bit of background information courtesy some pictures I took when my Superexpensive, er, I mean Supermicro X8QBE-F arrived...

Remember that picture I took earlier comparing the Xigmatek Elysium with other cases to illustrate the sheer enormity of the thing? Well, this is the box that the X8QBE-F arrived in compared to the Elysium. Yes. A motherboard.

Okay - maybe that's just ludicrous packaging, right? After all, I received a single harddrive the other day in a box big enough to hold a cat comfortably. Alas, the packaging was justified... here's the mobo box in relation to a regular ATX mobo box.

Unpacking the mobo, I came across one of these. It looked just so damn tasty. I know it said 'do not eat' or something like that, but honestly, how can you not? Just look at this thing - isn't it the tastiest looking thing you've ever seen?

All joking aside - my wife tells me that statistically, silica gel is one of the top three items requiring surgical removal from intestinal tracts (she's a doctor). What I want to know is, who are the Cletuses eating this crap! Anyway - one last picture of the board just to show what it looks like and how big it is. Here it is in relation to a ubiquitous 8800GT.

Now onto the meat and potatoes of the issue at bar... Pictured below is the delicate underbelly of one of the Dynatron heatsinks. Examine it carefully. Note that an LGA 1567 CPU IHS is recessed somewhat into the socket, so the area denoted by thermal interface material in the photo below actually protrudes from the underside of the heatsink. The important item of consideration here is the orientation of the screws for securing the heatsink in relation to the protrusion.

Now here is a close-up picture of one of the sockets on my X8QBE-F. What do you notice?

In addition to one of the heatsink mounting holes being flanked by a mosfet heatsink assembly denying access to the Dynatron heatsink, the socket is rotated a complete 90 degrees in relation to the the heatsink orientation. Thus, there is no way to afix the Dynatron heatsinks other than to remove the screws and simply place it upon the socket relying on gravity to provide enough contact for the necessary heat transfer. Such as this.

(I added the fan myself, so ignore it for now.) Notice any potential problems with this heatsink?

How about now? That's right - even if you orient the heatsinks correctly by removing the screws, they are much too wide to fit on this board due to the relative proximity of the sockets. Ridiculous! So ridiculous in fact that there really is only one way to deal with it...

Neat. Always neat.

Old December 21, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That thing is going to be pretty noisy. one thing that I noticed is that the cpus are very close and in a straight line , this is going to sound a bit crazy but couldn't you just ( not a very good word just) grab a long strip of copper and have that going across all four of those then and then mount the cpu coolers off centers so that they would fit but would also cool down the copper which would also cool down the cpu's long enough think enough anad wide enought to cover the cpu's . but that is just they way I think if I had the room proper know how and the tools lol
Old December 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
That thing is going to be pretty noisy. one thing that I noticed is that the cpus are very close and in a straight line , this is going to sound a bit crazy but couldn't you just ( not a very good word just) grab a long strip of copper and have that going across all four of those then and then mount the cpu coolers off centers so that they would fit but would also cool down the copper which would also cool down the cpu's long enough think enough anad wide enought to cover the cpu's . but that is just they way I think if I had the room proper know how and the tools lol
That's cool. Get it?

Okay, gay joke - I admit it. But 'tis the season for donning gay apparel, is it not? Anyway - I have tried MacGyvering many a solution, but the insurmountable problem is that the IHS for each of the four CPUs is significantly recessed into the socket. That is to say, you need a precisely located heatsink protrusion in order to make contact with the CPU. I've got all kinds of heatsink in my lab - pretty much every CPU socket and a bunch of GPU heatsinks too - and none of them would make contact with the CPU IHS. As a result, I'm stuck trying to find a heatsink designed specifically for LGA 1567. And as it turns out, once I find such a heatsink, it still doesn't fit! So I'm stuck trying to find a heatsink designed specifically for a Supermicro X8QBE-F. And so far, three months of searching have produced bupkis.

Old December 22, 2011, 05:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps?
Home