Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 01:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have to admit , if it wasn't for Great Wall at least trying the ZX series I wouldn't have put an OCZ anywhere near that build. That being said, you are putting your faith farther than I would. Which might not be a bad thing,

If you had ever owned a Strider Plus series you would see they follow the same idea. Ultra (andyson) started it, and many have followed (if you see a Silver Hologram sticker on your fully Modular PSU, its beacuse they pay royalities to Ultra).

Nice setup and nice board, well beyond my means but regardless we all do whats within them and I hold you crazy MP people in high regard.

A lot different venue for you now then just a year and change ago when you had more G92 based cards than an EVGA Warehouse.

For Fans, Vantec 80mm Tornados would put a hellish amount of Air over those sinks, probably what I would opt for.
I'm shocked that nothing else is really made for them. I saw some hacksaw job done on TX3's to fit on these odd Intel Sockets. Though never that socket.

Interesting to see how it develops.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 18, 2011, 01:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yeah I am thinking that you could run a couple of instances on that board to get your PPD up DT if one instance won't work.

Are there any VMs out there now that can see a bunch of threads?
Fold for team #54196
Old October 18, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
well beyond my means
Same here. It really wasn't financially responsible of me and it will take me months to pay off my credit card bill. But my self-control and self-discipline tend to wane when it comes to folding. What can I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
For Fans, Vantec 80mm Tornados would put a hellish amount of Air over those sinks, probably what I would opt for.
I thought about the Tornados and I may yet have to use them, but you know how loud they are. I'm hopeful that the Silverstones will be fine considering their still-high RPMs and larger blades. As with almost everything related to this build - we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Yeah I am thinking that you could run a couple of instances on that board to get your PPD up DT if one instance won't work.

Are there any VMs out there now that can see a bunch of threads?
If Linux cannot scale past 64 threads well or at all, then I would just run two instances natively using different Machine ID numbers. If Linux can't scale, I should at least be able to rely on its round robin scheduling. I sure as hell hope it scales, though.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

I would load that PSU up on different hardware before using it on this build... losing, just my thought.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
I would load that PSU up on different hardware before using it on this build... losing, just my thought.

Most people who know me know I don't Like OCZ for PSU's but of all the units to choose DT's got the best one. I would plug it in to his hardware, and thats saying a LOT comming from me.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 18, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's actually a good idea NI3, regardless of who made the PSU. I'll be sure to do that.

Also - quick bit of good news. I just got home and asked my good friend 2.6.32-34-server (yes that really is his name)...

Code:
grep CONFIG_NR_CPUS /boot/config-2.6.32-34-server
...and he told me...

Code:
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=256
So theoretically, Quicksilver should be good to go with >64 cores on Lucid or newer. My other friend 2.6.31-14-server, though, told me this...

Code:
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=64
...so we're not friends anymore. You're dead to me Karmic!

Old October 18, 2011, 08:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Are you running Ubuntu server editions?
Old October 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I used to find I would get clockskew with desktop's 1000Hz timer, and not so much with server's 100Hz timer, so I switched to server long time ago. I think part of the point of the ck scheduler is to deal with that issue, so it may not be as bad today as it once was - but I'm used to server now; it's my comfort zone.

Old November 15, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I admit, I have been falling behind in my worklog. Well, more accurately, t's the work itself I've been falling behind on. It seems like I am awaiting one or two niggly, out-of-stock parts from every build. Plus, I've been a bit too busy to really make much progress I'm afraid. Time should be less of a premium (I hope) over the next few weeks, so perhaps I'll make some more progress.

But by now, I'm sure many of the folding enthusiasts among you have heard this news. Specifically...

Quote:
November 14, 2011

Planned changes to "Big Advanced" (BA) projects, effective January 16, 2012

Big Advanced (BA) is an experimental type of Folding@home WUs intended for the most powerful machines in FAH. However, as time goes on, technology advances, and the characteristics associated with the most powerful machines changes. Due to these advances in hardware capabilities, we will need to periodically change the BA minimum requirements. Thus, we are shortening the deadlines of the BA projects. As a result, assignments will have a 16 core minimum. To give donors some advance warning, we are announcing this now, but the change will take place in 2 months: no earlier than on Monday January 16, 2012.

We understand that any changes to how FAH works is a disruption for donors, and we have been trying to minimize such changes. For that reason, we are not changing the points system at this time.

However, we want to emphasize that the BA program is experimental and that donors should expect changes in the future, potentially without a lot of notice (although we will try our best to give as much notice as we can). In particular, as hardware evolves, it is expected that we will need to change the nature of the BA WUs again in the future.
So with this in mind I will be reconsidering some of the components of the farm. I will provide more details once I have made some decisions.

Old November 15, 2011, 01:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I admit, I have been falling behind in my worklog. Well, more accurately, t's the work itself I've been falling behind on. It seems like I am awaiting one or two niggly, out-of-stock parts from every build. Plus, I've been a bit too busy to really make much progress I'm afraid. Time should be less of a premium (I hope) over the next few weeks, so perhaps I'll make some more progress.

But by now, I'm sure many of the folding enthusiasts among you have heard this news. Specifically...

So with this in mind I will be reconsidering some of the components of the farm. I will provide more details once I have made some decisions.
I read this a few mins ago and made a post about it here: Changes to BIG ADV

I foresee a huge drop in PPD for A LOT of people in the coming months. I'm not too thrilled about it myself....