Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
its just the Nforce bridge chips that get roasty toasty hot
Oh I get it - you were talking about these. Sheesh, I'm such a dummy. Yeah, I'm sure they'd be a darn sight better than the stock aluminum sinks. I should be good to go, though, with MX-2 under the hood and those 2800RPM 80mm Zalman fans fastened directly on top pushing a rated 32.5 CFM.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old September 28, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am now a proud owner of a Xigmatek Elysium! The turtle is meant to give some indication as to my emotional state at the moment...

I'd give you more of an unboxing, but luckily I don't have to. The guy I bought the case from already did it for me.

Enjoy!

Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower Case - Unboxing and Product Overview - YouTube

Xigmatek Elysium Super Tower Case - Component Installation - YouTube

Old September 28, 2011, 08:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

you have wait so long to get this case... Have fun to build you hardware in it
Server system
|I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

Twitch
Old October 2, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Alpine! I know I will - I'm excited to get started. I put in my order with Dazmode yesterday for most of what else I need. I'm still debating whether or not to buy some of his sleeved Darkside cable extensions. I am 100% certain I do not have the patience to sleeve anything myself anymore - those days are behind me. I'll put the builds together without them for now and see how I feel at that point. Shoebox will be the next build, followed by the final build in the series - Suite300 - once I get my new FrozenQ bay reservoir. But FrozenQ's, ahem, queue, seems longer than normal right now - so I don't know when it will be ready.

Anywho... I mentioned earlier that I did not use the H70's in Twofour because I was going to use them in a couple of other builds. I may as well fill you in on the specs of each...

Build: P-Delta

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-E
CPU: QX9650
CPU Heatsink: Corsair H70
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066
GPU: GTX 460 + GTX 460
Case: Antec 200
PSU: Enlight Sniper 750W
HDD: WD 640GB Black
Optical: Samsung DVD-RW

Build: P-Epsilon

Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW
CPU: Core i7 860
CPU Heatsink: Corsair H70
RAM: 2x2GB GSkill Eco DDR3-1600 CL7
GPU: GTX 465 + GTS 450 + GTS 250
Case: Antec 300
PSU: Corsair TX750 750W
HDD: WD 640GB Black
Optical: Samsung DVD-RW

Clearly, both of these builds will be used for GPU folding - something I did not originally plan to do. But, they will be offsite at a place where I am not responsible for the hydro bill, so I thought I should put some of my existing GPUs to work. I went with the same "new stuff in red" convention used earlier in the thread, but you'll astutely notice that nothing is in red. Yup, I already have all of this stuff, which is what made it an easy decision to swap out the H70's in Twofour to put them into these rigs once I knew I had access to power and the Internet at the new location.

So anyway - not sure when I'll put those two together. I would imagine, though, that they'll probably happen next week, before Shoebox.

And last thing to note for today's update... I have a picture of the completed Twofour, albeit a little less interesting without the H70's. Here it is...

I absolutely love the HAF series for cable management. The Supermicro heatsinks on the Xeon 5645's are designed to work in a pull, so given the large 230mm fan at the top and the lack of a GPU heatsource at the bottom, I thought it best to point them up to exhaust heat straight out the top, so as to avoid the rear heatsinks sucking in hot air from the front heatsink had I pointed them in the traditional orientation towards the rear of the case.

Also - I did the same thing in the 5 1/4" bays as I did in both Ziz and Leviathan with a ziptied 120mm fan. So here's a picture of that too in case you want to see it. It's a more relavent mod in Leviathan and Ziz's case because there are so many heatsinks that need a source of airflow at the top of the case. But I figure it wouldn't hurt here, so I went ahead and did it for Twofour too. Anyway, here's what I'm talking about:

That's all for now. Toodles!

Old October 2, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I am now a proud owner of a Xigmatek Elysium! The turtle is meant to give some indication as to my emotional state at the moment...

You feel like a wine drinking turtle?
Old October 2, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
You feel like a wine drinking turtle?
Always. But with the new Xiggy, I feel like a happy wine drinking turtle!

Old October 3, 2011, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey DT! Since Ive never looked in to it, figured Id ask if you dont mind, are mobos with more than one physical cpu usefull on day to day pc use and gaming? can the extra power be translated in to extra performance in thos instances? Or is it purely for server and/or folding functions?
Old October 3, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciel View Post
Hey DT! Since Ive never looked in to it, figured Id ask if you dont mind, are mobos with more than one physical cpu usefull on day to day pc use and gaming? can the extra power be translated in to extra performance in thos instances? Or is it purely for server and/or folding functions?
Generally the latter (i.e., server/folding, etc.). There have really only been three DP mobos ever made that were good for gaming - Intel Skulltrail, ASUS L1N64-SLI and EVGA SR-2. That's because they are overclockable boards and most general usage profiles (and certainly gaming) still relies primarily on single-threaded frequency. It's also because they are multi-GPU firendly for SLI or Xfire setups. The ASUS Z8NA-D6 series boards used in BOSServer and Twofour, for example, have zero overclocking capabilities and boast just a single PCIe 16x slot. The other 16 PCIe lanes on the chipset are divided between two 8x slots - so clearly geared towards RAID adapters rather than graphics adapters.

That's not to say you couldn't use them for gaming or other general usage profiles. Just that, you could get a heck of a lot more performance out of a far cheaper system for that type of thing.

I will say this, though. DP and MP builds are strangely addictive.

Old October 3, 2011, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the info : ) Im currently folding with 2 older systems, an amd x2 6000+ and a q6600 bases systems (ASUS M2N and eVGA 790i ultra sli if I remember correctly). One of them also houses an artigo pico itx based system (which fits in a 5" bay) which I use purely for downloading. And I had though of getting rid of all of them and getting a mobo with more than one physical cpu that could justify the power of all those, and of course, take up less space and produce less heat than all those 3 systems (it gets quite hot in summer here).
Old October 3, 2011, 06:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I will say this, though. DP and MP builds are strangely addictive.
That's an understatement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciel View Post
Thanks for the info : ) Im currently folding with 2 older systems, an amd x2 6000+ and a q6600 bases systems (ASUS M2N and eVGA 790i ultra sli if I remember correctly). One of them also houses an artigo pico itx based system (which fits in a 5" bay) which I use purely for downloading. And I had though of getting rid of all of them and getting a mobo with more than one physical cpu that could justify the power of all those, and of course, take up less space and produce less heat than all those 3 systems (it gets quite hot in summer here).
Any setup will smash any records you did with that 6000+ / Q6600 pair. Assemble a rig similar to Deux (see sig) and you can easily combine all your rigs and still fold with new ppd records for under 350w - under full load.

FYI, that rig manages 75k+ ppd with a P6904.