Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am wondering how do you set this up as a firewall and a media server?

Quote:
Build: BOSServer

BOSServer is my VM server. I use it as a media server, file server, encoding box, pfSense box, and occasionally for dev sandboxing when I feel like goofing around with my latest whim. And, of course, folding. This build is still largely undecided. I have flip-flopped at least three or four times on what I want to put into it. Basically, the hardware features I want this box
Old September 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I guess ESXi with PFsense, Openfiler, XMBC and a Windoze / Mac OS for encoding schtuff?
Old September 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So how does the fire wall do its job does everything have to connect through a virtual environment or something like that ?
Old September 13, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, each task is isolated using e-sexy. Currently running five VMs. In terms of pfSense, the WAN connects directly to the box just like it would normally to a regular router, then the LAN goes out to my HP ProCurve, then back to the box to feed the connection to the other VMs. The Z8NA-D6 has two onboard Intel NICs and I have added two more PCIe Intel NICs so that I can use link aggregation for file serving. There's a learning curve to pfSense, particularly when it's being hosted, but it's totally worth the effort.

And yes, one of my VMs is a folding client!

I might as well also take this opportunity to note that I have completed Shoebox and have installed my OS's and done some preliminary overclocking. I've yet to actually fold with it, though, due to the fact that here we are in mid-September and the humidex is going up to 32C today. Once things cool down a bit, I'll finally get the farm polished off. Shoebox sure looks pretty, though, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old September 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok so you have modem to your box which is PFsense then out to your switch ( or in my case would be a router for my wireless) and since you are running multiple VMs you have it coming back to your box for your vm's. why do you need to have it come back from your switch couldn't you just run your vm's right off of PFsense or I am guessing you can get separate ip address's for your VM's that way? also I am wondering which OS you are using to host VMed PFsense? then my final question is that if PFsense is VMed inside a OS then I would think that your file server is a separate box all together?

I am wondering this because I would like to run my server as a firewall and file\media server and also run VMed folding ( when the weather gets colder) of course I wouldn't be running media allot . but is this possible to do?

So I could do something similar using my router for my wireless .
Old September 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

ESXi is the OS. Using VMSphere on a secondary rig, you control the VMs. As to why he set up modem / ESXi / switch / back to rig, that may be related to how is PfSense is setup.

I use dual NICs on my rig: one from the modem, and the second going to a 16-port switch. But to use other VMs within ESXi (and still access my network), I created virtual NICs so any VM I set up has also access to the 'net and my network with seperate IP adresses. I have to thank Plg (a member here) for all the help he gave to set all this properly.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm not altogether certain that my way of doing it is the most efficient, but it's the way I know how to keep it secure, making sure there is no risk that any VM other than pfSense can potentially be exposed to the incoming WAN. To me, nothing about computing is more mysterious than networking, so I try not to get too fancy.

As 3.0 said, e-sexy goes on bare metal, replacing the need for a host OS. Then you treat your VMs like you would any stand alone machine on your network using a vSphere rig kinda like you would a KVM. There's really very little learning curve to it at all - it's pretty intuitive. I will note, though, that if you want to populate your machine with a number of VMs, it certainly helps to have a healthy dollop of processing cores and - especially - RAM to go around.

Old September 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

now I am very curious on how to do this.
I use Win7x64 on my server( ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34, 8x2GB Ram, 2x 6128) which basically I use it for media files ( mostly) and in the winter or cooler months I use vm to fold and sometimes when I feel adventurous I play around with different OSs in VM and make portable applications some video editing other then that it is pretty much sitting there . DO you think that it would be worth losing the OS and just doing it similar to the way you peeps have setup?
Old September 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Take it for a test drive on a non-production rig. See if you like it. See if it does what you need.

There are guides a-plenty out there to help you get up and running. Here's one: VMware ESXi step-by-step Installation Guide with Screenshots

Old September 14, 2012, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks .
Off topic here.
for some reason your post didn't show up in in the new posts , which is usually how I enter the forums here