Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Default Sherman

This old server has been sitting around my office since the beginning of time. I have had the go ahead from the tech higher ups to take it. Its just a matter of the boss finally letting it go. My guess is because it cost so much money back then. This thing is really huge. I have already sized up the top. It has the room for 2 120.4 rads side by side. I have some great ideas for this tank. The case is so thick. I will have to buy better cutting disks for my dremmel. The thing must weigh 150lbs.
Attached Images

Old June 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

re-purposing an old server case! beats the hell out of it going to the recyclers.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This will be interesting to follow.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old June 24, 2011, 06:53 PM
Banned
F@H

very promising. what has it been housing so far? :)
Old June 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Look at the sticker in the first photo. Pentium II, that's Y2K ready!
Old June 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Company still has a (non-updated) website... CSS Laboratories, Inc. - OEM Integration Services - Servers
Old June 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
Banned
F@H

saw that but dont mean anything.my latest cm 922 build with a 2500k and gtx 580
has an amd sticker on it from many moons ago because the guy wants it that way :D
Old June 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
MVP

tbh, even tho old, that server tower looks very good on the inside! some holes in the mobo tray+convex back panel if cable management measures aren't already present with a facelift to the exterior would be amazing!

Great idea dude, I sure will be w8ing to see how this progresses!
Old June 24, 2011, 10:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ooooooo he's a big boy! Geeze that thing is huge. And it looks so shiny inside lol. Should make for quite the interesting build. Keep us posted!
Old June 25, 2011, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Currently it is housing a back plane PC. The lead tech 10 years ago was all about them. We have several in house collecting dust. That P2 was the fastest chip they could buy at the time (so im told) and I believe it. My bosses know enough about computers to be harmfull. But one thing they rarely do is skimp. It has 4 120mm fans on the side panel and 6 80mm where the SCSI drives go. Im going to rip out almost everything give the exterior a good paint job. The troubles Im seing right now are the PSU slots (not huge troubles but it will need some attention) which are dual hot swap currently. Also due to it being a backplane PC I dont see proper housing for an ATX board and there is no I/O holes pre done. It is all pci slots at the rear. I have quickly found a Lian-li mobo tray that has the rear I/O cutout already. Until I get this in my garage I cant say for sure what I will do but it is very exciting. I am looking forward to this project.