Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm (now) going to go glass for a couple reasons... I just hope cost and finding supply is reasonable. I also think I might do what many other people do and just cut out the case (leave the bottom and 'corners' intact) and build the glass into the case. That design looks much cleaner.

I got "hydrocracked, hydrorefined mineral oil called Luminol TR-I" and "midel 7131" from a couple posts on the first page. I'll look into those two as I know mineral oil isn't the best solution (but it works).

I'm still lost as to what I'll end up doing for motherboard mounting... And I might need to find someone with tools who can help me :D I've decided to get a AM3+ mobo and put a Phenom II X6 BE into it if bulldozer isn't out by the time I buy parts. I'll probably get mATX for size reasons, but I'll be using this as a server + F@H rig, so it'd be nice if I can get a 2nd GPU in there for more contribution. I've seen a couple potential cases, but only one that's close to the $50 mark atm.
Old May 29, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've decide to just build the aquarium portion right into the case itself and cut out the sides where there will be glass. I am looking for someone with tools who can assist me with the physical cutting/modding as I have absolutely no tools to work with.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just a thought... If you want to swap parts or remove/add a part what the heck do you do? for example, lets say you lift the board out of the oil and remove a video card, then you have an oil-soaked and expensive piece of hardware and also an oil-filled (and therefore no longer conductive) PCIe slot. You couldn't hose them down, I'm guessing....
Old June 15, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will start buying the case parts soon and either buy a rotary tool or loan some tools of my co-worker.
Old November 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now that BD has flopped with power consumption and SNB-E is only offering $600 chips right now, I've pulled the trigger on a 2600k build... would have loved to have found a better/similar folding chip for less $$, but oh well.

Parts:
Aurora FTC velocity case
Seasonic 760w 80gold 100% modular PSU
16GB G.Skills DDR 3 (4x4)
150 GB velociraptor (from my main)
60 GB Agility SSD (from my main)
EVGA GTX 295 (bought used)
Samsung Optical drive
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
120x360mm rad & pump (bought used)
i7-2600k (with free copy of BF3)

Well, I think that's everything. I have spent about $1170 so far and plan on installing some free linux OS. I will not be buying a dedicated monitor unless I find something cheap/free used and already have a Bluetooth keyboard. Just need a wireless mouse and wifi card.

It will probably cost me $300-$400 for the parts required to modify my case for submersion.
Old November 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

is the PSU also submerged? I would also think that it would be a good idea to remove and fans as to not burnout the motors? hmm I think I am going to read up on this some more
Old November 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

An aquarium live wallpaper does not cut it?

Carry on and we want to see some fish out if that little monsta!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||