Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2011, 05:19 AM
Allstar

Default "Dazed & Confused" Corsair Gaming PC Build

Canada's source for PC Water cooling products, DazMode hired Me to modify his new Corsair 700D case. He'll be using the customized case to share video tutorials and demonstrations of new water cooling products from his online store, Best PC Water Cooling Store, Reviews and Tutorials in Canada The full tower behemoth is no stranger to me. I modified it's predecessor, the 800D for Hardware Canucks last year.

Before work can commence, I need tunes.. "You ain't nuthing but a Hound Dog, modding all the time."

Di-Noc film just arrived, Carbon Fiber Sheets

I'm sending along our new PSU Sleeve Tools to Daz
http://www.mnpctech.com/ATX_Molex_Removal_Tools.html[/url]

Always Measure Once and Cut Twice? er, something like that....

Dew with a touch of Engine Enamel to fuel my after Midnight modding.. "say wha?"

Power tools are for making sparks, not building things.

Hey, I was the FIRST! to implement the "box technique" for cutting panels. No fuss, no mess.

Hmm, I could smuggle a lot of stuff over the Canadian border in this case

Daz: "Enuf of the comedy routine Bill, I need that case finished so can I test with my new water blocks!"

Even though the "DazMode" PC will be water cooled, it's important to minimize any air restrictions for the radiator cooling fans. Corsair's factory honeycomb perforated grills do allow decent airflow, but I can make performance even better by removing them altogether.

The perforated factory rear fan grill on the 700D.

Using Tin-snips to remove center portion of the rear honeycomb factory grill.</p>

The most efficient way to remove the rear grill is with a Greenlee Knock out Punch. It's made by Greenlee, part # 730EBB-120. It cuts a perfect 120mm hole without any mess. Last time I inquired, they were around $450 in the states, plus you need a 3/4" socket wrench, and 2" socket. Estimated purchase price of everything is $550 new. I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench.

The Greenlee's circular blade cuts through the steel as it's drawn tighter with the socket wrench.

MNPCTech Pro-line 120mm "360" Fan or Radiator Grill - Silver Products Model: MNPCTECH-"360"RG120SLOT-SL [MNPCTECH-"360"RG120SLOT-SL] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come will be Anodized Black

I thought about using this 120mm Billet SKULL fan grills, but it's really not Daz' style. So they are waiting for another project...

The insert of the 120mm can be manually rotated for whatever look you want.

Speaking of Corsair, here is a peek at Mnpctech's window panel for the Corsair 600T. To order one is $125, Why SO MUCH?! because it's cnc milled from 1/2" thick cast acrylic and we polish it by hand to high luster finish! Before you can say "Nobody will pay that much!" Goto Overclock.net and Corsair Forums ask those who have already, how much they love it

More to come!
Old May 15, 2011, 03:55 AM
Allstar

Removing the top of the bezel. This part has the power button, leds, and inputs.

The door attached to the 5.25 bay to the inputs is easily removed.

Using a Solder Gun to remove the clear LED &amp; HD activity lense glued into the bay cover by Corsair.

The Power and HD activity LED lense removed. This will be epoxied back into the bezel after it's painted.

Use 1/8" drill bit for removing the factory rivets and replacing with Black rivets, Pop Rivets For Computer Cases

The chassis of the 700D will remain Matte Black to offset the new Tangelo Orange exterior.

Primer coat applied to the top panel.

House of Kolor Tangelo Orange.

Brad applies Orange base coat.

The next stage will be Tangelo Orange.

After applying Tangelo Orange.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
Allstar

Here is Brad buffing out the Clear coat on the House of Kolor Tangelo Orange Paint. When was the last time you had seen an Orange PC? ..Exactly.

This photo of a Lamborghini Diablo GT with "Arancio Borealis" paint, which is a factory two layer peal metallic paint is what inspired Daz color choice. Once I told him how much the overpriced factory paint was to have made, the HoK Tangelo Orange sounded like a better alternative.

The Corsair 700D's right side access panel with brilliant gloss finish.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

now you should call it as exotic 700d case... and dont forget to do scissor door and wing... ;p
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old May 16, 2011, 03:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Very cool and holy with the $550 KO punch.
Old May 16, 2011, 04:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While you might not have the same tastes as me, you do some DAMN fine work!

Always a pleasure reading your build logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 16, 2011, 10:14 AM
Allstar

Thanks for tuning in and commenting guys!

"1 shot" Untitled Document, is the brand of Enamel paint for pinstripping, "Process Blue" and "Orange" for pin striping the chassis and motherboard tray.

Brad freehand paints his logo onto the motherboard.

The optical bay gets a subtle accent of the striping.

Installing Black, U-channel PC window molding, U-channel edge molding for PC Mod Window

While Brad pinstriped the chassis, I used a rotary tool to etch his logo in the corner of the window.

The discreet logo locations won't distract or obstruct the view at the tasty hardware and water cool components that Daz will install.

I had to install the motherboard tray and top panel with new rivets and chose these Black pop-rivets, Pop Rivets For Computer Cases

The Pearls in the Tangelo Orange paint will shift from Dark to Bright depending upon the angle of light. The top panel will have to wait for it's new grill to arrive back from the Anodizer.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
Banned
F@H

you got some skill, dude :)

got to admit though, the title makes me think of the one film , but i fail to see,yet perhaps, the 'thing' both have in common :p
Old May 16, 2011, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

That's looking great!

Looking forward to more pictures as it progresses. ;)
Old May 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great pinstriping!
Man, I can't wait to see this done