Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2011, 07:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Case materials/thickness

In case modders experiences what is/are common case materials (duh aluminum/steel) but I'm more interested in thickness.

I could need to get aprox 19"x33" of materials (at most, to recreate a couple panels) and I have access to good prices from an industrial supplier, I'm just not sure they'll have the correct thickness for a computer case. I most likely wont be able to put "supporting ripples/bends" into the aluminum to stiffen it so it needs to be sufficiently sturdy itself in a single piece as large as 19"x25.5"

Any idea's, input?
Thanks.

Have an A-1 day!
Old May 2, 2011, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you doing side panels? Or structure? For side panels, I'd say 3mm aluminum would work for that size. The main case structure on my TJ-07 is 4mm with 8mm stiffening ribs.

Edit: you made me curious. I don't have a micrometer handy, but the side panels of the TJ-07 are made of approx 1mm thick aluminum, but each edge is folded back on itself to provide stiffening. I'd revise that guess and say 2mm would stand up as a side panel with no stiffeners.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah its a side panel (of sorts) that is also the mobo mounting, no seperate tray to build.

I might be able to make the (side)panel and (rear)i/o panel/PCI from 1 piece with a bend in it strengthening at least one end of the flimsy? sized aluminum. Think I'm gonna look for a free case to hack an i/o & PCI panel out of, I dont have the patience to make one, frozencpu has one for $26 I/O Shield - 7 Slot - Black Anodized Aluminum - FrozenCPU.com but a free case and a few removed rivets could acomplish that for free/cheap.

Have an A-1 day!

Last edited by 4DoorGTZ; May 2, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with at least 3mm for that usage, and my mobo tray has a couple of 45 gussets for strengthening. However, if you can't see it, I'd probably go with steel of some kind. Stronger and the threads for the standoffs won't tear out as easily. Any alum tray I've owned has had brass or steel inserts in it. Alum is very easy to strip the threads out of. That's why most of my TJ-07 has M3.5 screws in it now instead of the M3's.