Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default ATH-AD700 Boom Mic Mod

I picked up a refurbished set of ATH-AD700s for a reasonable price and have to say I love them. Also, being a gamer of course I require a mic for smack talk and Vent communications.

After looking into the mic the cheapest and most popular option out there was the Zalman ZM MIC1. Its not bad but the sensitivity is horrible and I always feel like I need to look down for people to hear me.

Next, I looked into trying to find an attachment mic... some people where able to use a hacked (literally) Labtec headphone mic attached with velcro.

The other option I came across, which is not only more practical but more appealing is actually modding the left ear cup to house the a female socket and wiring. Having some decent soldering skills and the tools I decided to take this route.

To begin I needed to order the following:
2x AC116 Chassis Mount 3.5mm Mini Jack Connector (1 extra just in case.) $10 shipped
1x Mini 3.5mm Flexible Microphone $10 shipped
1x MU15MMS 15feet Slim 3.5mm Stereo Audio Cable Male/ Male $10 shipped.
1x 25ft 3/8 BRAIDED EXPANDABLE SLEEVING carbon TECHFLEX $10 shipped

Total: $40 (not include tools and solder)

I have also been thinking about adding a mute switch either to the left cup or inline somehow. I havent been able to find any inline solutions that I like.

For an switch in the cup I would prefer to use a rocker switch but the smallest I can find requires a 1/2" mounting hole which I feel may be too large and next best option would be a push on/off switch which needs a 1/4" mounting hole but will not be as easy to know if the mic is active or not.

I will post pics as I start for anyone who is interested.

Last edited by Addictedtokaos; April 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sub'd. I have a set with the Zalman mic clipped on. Are you staying with the stock colors, or fixing that too?
Old April 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I may paint the grills, black maybe. We will see how it goes.
Old April 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AD700 paint and mic mod - Head-Fi.org Community

Has been done

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 14, 2011, 04:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know its been done. Im going to do it to my AD700s. Im also going to try and add a mute switch in somehow. Looking at all my options.

Everything has already been done by someone somewhere...

Last edited by Addictedtokaos; April 14, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well, received all my parts, EXCEPT my 15' Slim 3.5mm Stereo Audio Cable from NCIX.com. When I originally made the purchase on April 12th, they where available but my email confirmation said they were backordered.

Just checked now and the site says that they are still in stock:
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. - in Canada
they even have them listed here as well:
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.
WTF?!?!!

I guess I will have to get on the phone with them tomorrow and let them know the fine job they are doing...
Old April 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow, NCIX can be a bunch of boneheads.

I sent a customer care request in asking what is going on with the 3.5mm cable. I didnt receive any response, so the next day I contacted them by phone. Spoke to a very nice phone rep who agreed with me that there was no reason why the item should not have shipped already. He assured me that he would send a note to the warehouse and they would rush my order out.

Today I get an email in response to my customer care request...

Hello -------,
Sorry we couldn't acquire the product in time. Here is a breakdown of the modifications I made to your order:
Swap SKU #42744 to SKU #44264-1265
This produced a credit of $3.37. I have sent you an updated invoice that reflects the adjustments I have made and the new total for the order and I have converted the credit to a credit note and sent you the credit note number so you can apply it to a future order!
========================
If you have any questions or requests please feel free to send us an email!
Thank you very much for your time,
---------- ---------
Customer Care Representative
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories
Great Technology, Selection & Service
Unit #105 - 4620 Viking Way
Richmond, BC, V6V 2L5
Tel: 1-877-624-9777 Option 1
Tel: 604-288-8080 ext:1140 & 1141
Fax: 604-288-8022
Dated Apr 27, 2011 at 07:34 AM composed by you

When I originally submitted the order on the 12th of April, the item was in stock, and I check and again and it is in stock. Why hasnt it shipped! No excuses.
You actually have the item you are telling me you have backorder listed as AVAILABLE as 2 different items on your online store. NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories
Please ship out this item from my order TODAY with express shipping or just cancel the order and I will purchase it from a more competent online retailer.
Thank you.

What is this moron talking about!?!?!! The sku's are to do with G Skill Ram and nothing about a 3.5mm stereo cable extension. In my 15 years of computers (private and corporate) I have not dealt with a more incompetent customer service. I even included a direct link in my request. How can you screw this up so bad?

This experience, even though very small in $ value, has really turned me off from NCIX. If this was a larger purchase I would probably be screaming at the next CS rep I speak to.

Well, everything is on hold until I get this kink straightened out....
Old April 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

I think they have having problems today as I sent an email inquiring about a damaged case front bezel and the ticket answer gave me an approved RMA number for Corsair DDR2 RAM, a rep responded saying that they were having a tough time with the system today and fixed my problem.

Monday will tell.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I guess I will have to straighten things out Monday.
Old May 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Finally got that NCIX fiasco straightened out... what a circus that was.

Tonight I took the left ear apart, fitted the jack, soldered the wires, and tested. Works great.

To fit the jack housing properly I had to do some dremel work and some other minor modifications to the headphones for everything to fit properly.

Next will be sleeving the cables and adding some shrink tube at either ends.
Attached Images

Last edited by Addictedtokaos; May 4, 2011 at 09:28 PM.