Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
Top Prospect

Default Typhoon Mark I *First water cooling attempt*

Hello guys,

I decided to start a worklog on my upcoming project : The Blue Typhoon Mark I.

Nothing spectacular like some others in there since this is my first attempt at building a computer based on water cooling. but still wanted to show something.
There is going to be some phases in my project ..

PHASE I - Planning, Research & Tests (including the watercooling loop) *Completed*
PHASE II - Gettings the components *Completed*
PHASE III - Doing some case modifications (basic mods such holes for drain) *In progress ...*
PHASE IV - Leak test + integrating components in the case
PHASE V - Integrating the water cooling loop into the computer + finish touch

I came up with this first draft... (see attached image)

Build steps :

PHASE III
Step 1 - Remove the top fan *Done! - 06/04/2011*
Step 2 - Verifying if the refill hole can be made and linked to the reservoir *Done! - 06/04/2011*
Step 3 - Installing the RASA 360 reservoir *Done!- 06/04/2011*
Step 4 - Case mod: Drill a 5/8 hole in the bottom of the case (Drain) *Done!- 10/04/2011*
Step 5 - Case mod: Drill a 5/8 hole on the top of the case (Refill) *Done!- 10/04/2011*
Step 6 - If the refill system can be done, adding the top refill system *Done!- 10/04/2011*
Step 7 - Installing the radiator using the mounting system *Done!- 10/04/2011*
Step 8 - Installing the PCI metal plate that allow tubing to pass in the holes (If needed by the case)
Step 9 - Measuring tubbing
Step 10 - Passing the tube in the holes, creating the loop, adding the drain system

PHASE IV
Step 11 - Doing a 24 hour leak test

PHASE V
Step 12 - Placing the two top fan
Step 13 - Installing the CPU & integrating the motherboard in the case
Step 14 - Installing the CPU waterblock
Step 15 - Adding the memory
Step 16 - Mounting the graphic card
Step 17 - Mounting the radiator fans
Step 18 - Connecting all fans to PSU and controllers
Step 19 - Mounting the HDD and connecting the SATA cable
Step 20 - Connecting the DVD Writter SATA cable
Step 21 - Installing the blue LED cathodes and connecting all the others cables
Step 22 - Checking if everything is alright and doing first startup test
Step 23 - Configuring the new build
Step 24 - Overcloaking

System specs :

CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz OC @ 4.5 Ghz

Motherboard
ASUS P8P67

Memory
Corsair Vangeance Blue 4GB @ 1600mhz

Graphics Card
MSI Geforce GTX 560 TI

Hard Drive
Western Digital Dual Proc 7200RPM 1TB SATA3

Power Supply
Antec TruePower 650W Modular

Case
Corsair Graphite Serie 600T

CPU cooling
RASA 750 RS360

OS
Windows 7 64bits

Monitor
LG 21' Flatron Wide

Interresting facts :

• For the WC kit ive ordered the RASA 750 RS360.
  • The case is the Corsair 600T. I wanted to challenge it.
  • Total cost of the whole system is about 1500$ CND.
  • I am doing a mix blue (parts) and green (tubing) system.
Any comments or suggestion are welcome ! I will post this week the components i am about to use to build it up!

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rush; April 11, 2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added build steps
Old April 3, 2011, 10:16 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

2 concerns.

1. I would not bet that the reservoir fill port will clear the fan controller. Moreover, I don't think the fillport threads are compatible with barb threads.
2. Your drawing is well laid-out, except for the size relationship and location of the radiator. I think the radiator is longer that what you have drawn.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
2 concerns.

1. I would not bet that the reservoir fill port will clear the fan controller. Moreover, I don't think the fillport threads are compatible with barb threads.
2. Your drawing is well laid-out, except for the size relationship and location of the radiator. I think the radiator is longer that what you have drawn.

I know what you mean. Do you think there any solution to this ? I may not put a barb that gonna depend on the space i have. The last thing i will install is definitivly the refill port anyway. I want to check if the tube gonna clear the way for the controller anyway i am pretty sure it will. The fan controller seem to be only a facade.

Thankz for your comments!

Edit: here solution to the reservoir threads XSPC Reservoir M20x1.5mm to G1/4 fillcap adapter XSPC Reservoir M20x1.5mm to G1/4 fillcap adapter [BRM20G14] - $5.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Last edited by Rush; April 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:43 PM
Top Prospect

you won't be able to have fillport like that, especially with fan controller and dvd drive on top.

my recommendation is to hook up 4 fans on external rad to case fan controller and put top 2 exhaust fans to mobo or directly to PSU with low noise adapter including front intake fan also. and if you are planning on using 2 120 fan on top, put that inside the case instead of under the mesh, this way there's less noise. Fans tend to make more noise when intake side is sitting against any sort of grills or filter. I think that's about it.

when I had my 360 rad mounted externally and 240 internally, i connected 2 fans on 360 rad and 2 fans on 240 rad to stock fan controller and put rest on to mobo with fan settings to silent in bios. worked like charm and kept it cool ;) and that's with cooling overclocked gpu and cpu. since you are only cooling CPU with your 360 rad you probably won't be speeding those fans up on the rad.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekaw View Post
you won't be able to have fillport like that, especially with fan controller and dvd drive on top.

my recommendation is to hook up 4 fans on external rad to case fan controller and put top 2 exhaust fans to mobo or directly to PSU with low noise adapter including front intake fan also. and if you are planning on using 2 120 fan on top, put that inside the case instead of under the mesh, this way there's less noise. Fans tend to make more noise when intake side is sitting against any sort of grills or filter. I think that's about it.

when I had my 360 rad mounted externally and 240 internally, i connected 2 fans on 360 rad and 2 fans on 240 rad to stock fan controller and put rest on to mobo with fan settings to silent in bios. worked like charm and kept it cool ;) and that's with cooling overclocked gpu and cpu. since you are only cooling CPU with your 360 rad you probably won't be speeding those fans up on the rad.
Thanks a lots for your comments and suggestion. But may i know why i wont be able to have a fillport like this ?
Old April 3, 2011, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Thanks a lots for your comments and suggestion. But may i know why i wont be able to have a fillport like this ?

xspc bay res with the kit takes 2 x 5.25" bay and your dvd drive takes 1 and fan controller takes 1(i know it doesn't take the whole bay but it'll still get in a way. Plus there are only 4 5.25" drive bays on 600T.
Old April 3, 2011, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekaw View Post
xspc bay res with the kit takes 2 x 5.25" bay and your dvd drive takes 1 and fan controller takes 1(i know it doesn't take the whole bay but it'll still get in a way. Plus there are only 4 5.25" drive bays on 600T.
I wonder about that i mean i know the controller is only a facade nothing more. Anyway i believe this is a guess. But if i dont take the 5'25 bay fan controller do you think i can still have this kind of fillport?

Another option would be to put dvd writter external using a case.

Last edited by Rush; April 3, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old April 4, 2011, 02:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
I wonder about that i mean i know the controller is only a facade nothing more. Anyway i believe this is a guess. But if i dont take the 5'25 bay fan controller do you think i can still have this kind of fillport?

Another option would be to put dvd writter external using a case.
Here's an option for the fan controller Rush NCIX.com - Buy NZXT Sentry Lxe High Performance External Touchscreen Fan Controller Black - NZXT - SENLXE-001 - in Canada

I used this fill/ drain port for my (recently) completed system-one for filling, one for draining NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech Water Cooling Fillport W/ 1/2" High Flow Barb Fitting - Mounts Into A 5/8IN Hole - Swiftech - 1/2-FPF-CPB - in Canada

I know it sounds like things are going to get somewhat complicated, unfortunately these are the hazards of trying to fit water cooling into a mid-tower. As for the DVD writer; use a slim (external) drive, not nearly as good as an internal, but will do the job NCIX.com - Buy ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U/BLK/G 8X Slim External DVD Writer Optical Drive Black USB2.0 - ASUS - SDRW-08D2S-U/BLK/G - in Canada

The use the XSPC adapter XSPC Reservoir M20x1.5mm to G1/4 fillcap adapter XSPC Reservoir M20x1.5mm to G1/4 fillcap adapter [BRM20G14] - $5.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store plus a 1/2" barb (on the adapter end) to complete the fill port -->reservoir link.

Homer J. Simpson
Old April 4, 2011, 02:28 AM
Top Prospect

honestly, I wouldnt waste money on nzxt fan controller. even the LXE you linked there, yes you can have it on ur desk but meh not worth it at that price considering they are not that good of a controller.

for dvd drive, he could just swing over to this week's sales page and find one for mid 20 range with no MIR.
Old April 4, 2011, 05:04 AM
Top Prospect

Alright, i checked with Daz and definitivly the fan controller even with a facade would lead into problems with fittings for the reservoir. Also, i already bought the DVD Writter so changing it isnt an option. So from now i have two option.

Option #1.
- Forget about the additionnal fan controller, use speed reducer instead like Mekaw said. 4 radiator fan on the controller and reducing internal fans using low-noise adapter. I could also use an internal 3.5 fan controller.. since this is only to control the internal fan and put it in the 3.5 bay of an HDD, wonder if it would mount in the HDD.
- Remove the top big fan and put two 120MM fans and then do the refill spot on top like i planned with a 90 degree rotator and G1/4 adapter for the RASA reservoir thread.

OR

Option #2.
- Get a fan controller in front.
- But forget about the refilling system, i could simply avance the reservoir to refill it.

What would you do ? To me first option seem better. What do you think ?

Thanks.