Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Smile First Attempt at Watercooling

When a fellow HWCanucker heard that I was finally going to "get my feet wet"; he suggested that I post a build log here, and not fully knowing the proper protocols, I guess I'll just dive right into it.

It all started when I bought the CoolIt Domino (that ended with somewhat grim results); then CoolIt Support was kind enough to clean my motherboard/ video card because of the Domino mishap, and they also RMA'd me a new CoolIt E.C.O. (I hope that Slaughter is enjoying it ).

There have been a few snags along the way (mainly due to my being over anxious to see it all done), tried sanding my knuckles (forgot to put on my safety gloves); cutting the fill port a little too close to the edge of the case (I know, I know "measure 15 times, cut once"); thinking that the 700D wouldn't accommodate the reservoir, when all I had to do was pull the bay out further (oh well, nobody's gonna see that part anyway )

So onward; I bought most of the parts (including the XSPC Rasa) from dazmode.com, and a few bits and pieces (including the Corsair 700D) from ncix.com, let's get into the pics...

Zalman GS1000 with ThermalRight 120, 200mm Cooler Master LED fan, total of 5 fans to cool the old PC
Attached Images

Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by BMAN69; April 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sorry all, haven't quite figured out to insert text between the photos, here's Day 2

This is what happens when I try to do PC destructing/ constructing in the space provided...namely my living room, in a 1 bedroom apartment
Attached Images

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 28, 2011, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Day 2 continued

It was a bit of a slooooow Sunday; spent some time working on the adaptation/ installation of the Rasa waterblock, most of the rest of the day surfing the net.

I really wish more water cooling companies could be like EKWB and ship universal back-plates for AMD motherboards, then people like me wouldn't have to try (and succeed) to fabricate one from spare acrylic.

Anyways; got the motherboard and power supply installed; hopefully on Day 3 (Monday) I'll get all the hoses connected and start the leak test.
Attached Images

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for sharing! I'm not into WC myself but I'm currently hacking apart (literally, with a hacksaw) an HP case for a crazy plan of mine.

I'd recommend (for the sake of your fingers) to file down the jagged edges on the top of your case. You may THINK you will only get in there once to install rads or fans, but trust me, after a mod like that there will be something you'll feel like checking down the road after you've forgotten about that edge.
Personally I use a cheapo flat file from Wal-Mart followed by sandpaper; it does the job.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Day 3 (Monday-today)

So today was all about getting the hoses connected to all the barbs; connecting the tee line; clamping everything down; filling the system with distilled water (+ Dazmode Protector), and starting the leak test.

So far, so good; I'm quite surprised that there wasn't a single leak to be found...mind you, it's only been a few hours
Attached Images

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 28, 2011, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I'm not into WC myself but I'm currently hacking apart (literally, with a hacksaw) an HP case for a crazy plan of mine.

I'd recommend (for the sake of your fingers) to file down the jagged edges on the top of your case. You may THINK you will only get in there once to install rads or fans, but trust me, after a mod like that there will be something you'll feel like checking down the road after you've forgotten about that edge.
Personally I use a cheapo flat file from Wal-Mart followed by sandpaper; it does the job.
I had originally planned on getting a few (okay, 12) feet of u-channel to wrap around the fan openings and window; but alas, I think that deal has fallen through .

Damn you PayPal!! just kidding

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 28, 2011, 09:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeesh... R4's in a horizontal position? I don't know about you, but those might give you a few headaches a few weeks in. I had some red LED R4's in my setup, and all of them kicked the bucket bearing-wise, as they gradually started making bearing noise, one by one.

And I don't know if it's just the angle, but the tube traveling down the lower compartment in that second picture of post 5 looks to be kinking, aka the tube is flattening due to an extreme bend angle. Again, not sure if it's just the camera angle, but if it is in fact kinking, you might want to look into fixing that up, as it can cause some unneeded stress on your pump.
Old March 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default kinking and blue R4's

Although in pic #2 it looks as though the hose is kinked, actually (you're right) it's just the angle of the dangle, check photo #3, #5, and #6.

As for the R 4's dying a slow and painful death; I had these in my last rig (very 1st pic at beginning of thread) for over 4 months. Three of these + one of their 200mm fans; plus a couple of Thermalright Silent 120's, and all total they were quieter than the old POS PC (with 3-80mm fans) I'm using now. I've found the Cooler Master fans (no matter the size) to be VERY quiet.

I want to thank you for posting your concern with the (photo-angled) kink possibility, and your concerns with the radiator fans

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN69 View Post
Although in pic #2 it looks as though the hose is kinked, actually (you're right) it's just the angle of the dangle, check photo #3, #5, and #6.

As for the R 4's dying a slow and painful death; I had these in my last rig (very 1st pic at beginning of thread) for over 4 months. Three of these + one of their 200mm fans; plus a couple of Thermalright Silent 120's, and all total they were quieter than the old POS PC (with 3-80mm fans) I'm using now. I've found the Cooler Master fans (no matter the size) to be VERY quiet.

I want to thank you for posting your concern with the (photo-angled) kink possibility, and your concerns with the radiator fans
You're very welcome. Just making sure you're aware of those problems should they become an issue later on.

I don't actually have anything against Coolermaster fans, as I did have a few back when I was using a HAF 922. However, those R4's all dying definitely left a lot to be desired in terms of QA

But overall, very nice setup!
Old March 28, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Good job with cutting grills out, so you rad can perform better!
HTPC Build: Final Video