Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2011, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks Daz!

I saw what Bill Owen did to your 700D (too bad I don't have $500 + kicking around for a knock-out punch), and although it hurt a bit thinking I was chopping up a perfectly good ($300) case, I realized I only paid $150...then it wasn't so bad. Just waiting for u-channel to arrive to finish off the fan grill holes and window (thanks Bill!).

The leak test has now been running since around 4:30pm yesterday; and I think I got off really lucky-must have been all those hours of watching your tutorials on YouTube-as there hasn't been a single drop of water on the paper towels .

One of a few issues I have come across using the 700D; is that the fans I have chosen (for the radiator top), don't quite line up with the indentation on the top (have all but one of the supplied fan screws in)-could be just the fans themselves-in any case, I'll have to sand down the outside corners to make them fit more flush (and get all the fan screws in).

So; later this morning (after a 1/2 dozen cups of coffee to wake up), I'll be shutting things down and putting in the rest of the components.
Then the real test will begin...will have to see if using a new (to me) thermal compound will help with the temperatures NCIX.com - Buy Innovation Cooling IC7 Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound Paste Tube NON-CONDUCTIVE NON-CAPACITIVE - Innovation Cooling - IC7 - in Canada along with the water cooling, and see if what the company claims, is actually true.

Will post more pics this afternoon

Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by BMAN69; March 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: update on u-channel order
Old March 29, 2011, 10:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Looking good Bman! Glad things worked out in the end ;)
Old March 30, 2011, 03:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Day 3 or Day 4...can't remember

Okay; so I've learned a lot about water cooling over the last few days, so here it goes...

1) I've heard modder's here chant " The Dremel is your friend, the Dremel is your friend...", they should also add " The work glove is my ally, the work glove is my ally ", this comes from when you least expect the barrel sander to suddenly take on its' own life and try to sand your knuckles off .

2) Never, ever rush the project; which in my case I couldn't do-stooping over my work desk made me feel like a broken slinky.

If at anytime I tried to rush the project, something would always pop up and tackle me back down to earth-whether it be a molex wire that won't stay in its' socket, or discovering that Corsair forgot an opening in the bottom of the case (found a spot at the bottom, has the outline for a hole; but alas, no hole...might have to open that up sometime).

3) There are always going to be ways of spending more money for odds and ends-or things your brain just wouldn't connect to,such as: buying a couple more fans (because you discover after everything is put together, and up and running; that 2 BLUE fans are actually green).

You see a nifty little adapter on Daz's (or ncix.com's) website that will work perfectly in your reservoir, but you don't want to (a) pay for more shipping (b) don't want to wait 6+ days for it to arrive (c) you're a dumb-ass because it's been on the website for a long time-and you should have added it to the original order in the first place.

You remember when you were putting your computer together oh, so many years ago; that you thought maybe a modular PSU would be good (nah, too much money)...boy one of those would really come in handy now.

So; I ran the leak test for about 14 hours, not a drip or spot in sight...whew! It took me most of today to finish off the project (for the next couple of days, maybe); took a few hours off to go outside and actually breathe real air-instead of (closed-up) apartment air, and to check out the new Lowe's-boring store.
I also have discovered that cable management is an art; and I have yet to master it, but it's amazing what you can hide down in the PSU well .

Here are the pics from today (including some night shots)
Attached Images

Homer J. Simpson
Old March 30, 2011, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ha-ha! That should be sticky.

I'm yet to see a build that I can complete on time, money and with original list of parts! No way.

But there is definite satisfaction to resolve all of this at the end.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old March 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There's still a couple of things that need to be dealt with

1) The fans on top aren't lined up right; still haven't been able to put the last rad screw in, so will have to sand a few corners down to make them all fit inside the top indentation.

2) Still waiting for the u-channel (from mnpctech.com); it's coming from south of the border folks (via U.S. snail mail), so it could be here soon, or it'll come at Christmas.
The u-channel will finish off the fan grill holes and the window trim.

Played a couple of hours of Medal of Honor early this morning (3 am), never saw temps rise above 39 deg Celsius.

It was nice to get up this morning, and see idle temps sitting (at room temp) around 28 deg Celsius, big change from 38 deg.

Homer J. Simpson
Old April 1, 2011, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I found that there's a few things I had to take into account (during this build):

1) Though the Corsair 700D seems indestructible on the outside-the inside parts are still made of plastic; so care must be taken when locking optical drives/ reservoirs/ etc. into the drive bays, when removing the bottom-side panel (beside the PSU), little tabs and latches can be easily broken.

2) When trying to figure out how to route cables (or Cable Management 101) around the 700D; I found there's not as much room as previously thought between the (left) side panel, so a modular PSU is still the best for any decent routing possibility.

3) Even though I thought I had every possible component (or tool) to complete this build; there were a few things I didn't consider:
- an adapter for the top of the XSPC reservoir (the one that adapts the unusually large fill hole to a standard G1/4), this would have completed the connection between the fill port and the reservoir.

- a fan controller capable of running ALL the fans connected to the radiator; in my case, a 6-channel fan controller is best.

- as stated before; a modular PSU, to make cable routing a breeze.

- more hose than comes with the kit; contrary to popular belief, places like Home Depot/ Rona/ Lowe's/ Canadian Tire do not carry the hose we need (or want) for the build.

- a proper back-plate for AMD CPU's; this can be purchased at the local computer store (in my case memoryexpress.com), as the Rasa kit doesn't have one-and it would have been easier to adapt a proper plate rather than fabricate one out of acrylic.

- account for wait times (e.g. mailing of components within Canada, PayPal clearing times, components coming from the U.S.) , as I'm still awaiting the u-channel from the States.

- doing a trial power-up of all the fans I bought; to ensure that the fans are actually the color they're supposed to be, instead of completing the build to discover 2 fans connected to the radiator are actually green, not blue (Grrrr!).

4) Do not EVER think that a tiny barrel sander on a rotary tool can't damage the skin; believe me when I say, it can and will- there's a reason for wearing gloves (and protective eye wear), safety 1st, nerdy 2nd.

5) Even though there are indentations on the top of the 700D (for triple fans); don't automatically assume that all 3 fans will fit perfectly, because they didn't. I still have to sand the corners of the outside fans to make them fit properly.

6) Make sure to inspect the inside of the thoroughly; little things like a cable-routing hole not being opened up can make a HUGE difference between completing the build, or having to rip everything out-drilling out the opening-then putting it all back together.

Homer J. Simpson

Last edited by BMAN69; April 1, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old April 1, 2011, 11:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks pretty slick. Im just waiting for a few things to come in the mailso I can show what ive done with my 700D.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:21 PM
Banned
F@H

very nice and clean looking!

the lights can be turned off on a whim right? :)
Old April 1, 2011, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Unfortunately, not with these ones; fortunately, the system is in the living room and not in my bed room-the glare from the fans really isn't that bright, not as bright as the LED from the reservoir.

Homer J. Simpson
Old April 1, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good good man, GJ