Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2011, 08:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Ben's Project A300

This will be round 2 on my current rig. To sum it up quickly:

eVGA x58 SLI LE w/ EK fullboard block
Core i7 920 w/ EK Supreme LT
3X2GB Corsair Dominator
eVGA GTX 275 1792MB
Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W all resleeved red and black
EK DCP 4.0 pump with res combo
Swiftech dual slim rad, Feser single rad, tubing, fittings, fluid, blah blah blah
Regular old HDDs of various sizes
All housed in a CM Sniper Black with custom plexi top and front panels

Pics:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to business, I never quite liked the Sniper Black once I unboxed it and things only got worse when
I tried to watercool it.

So I of course don't learn my lesson and go buy an Antec 300 on boxing day for dirt cheep and
fomulate my master plan to increase the cooling yet reduce the size of the overall case (both the Sniper
and the A300 are midtowers but the Sniper is monstrous when sat besides the A300).

First step is to remove all the panels and gut the case of fans and whatnot.

Not quite there yet...

There, just had to remove those ugly drive bays.

With the removal of the drive cages I can sneak another 120mm fan in the front, but the stock
5.25" bays are solid inserts with mesh coverings.

I'll just separate the mesh covers, epoxy them together...

...epoxy them into the front panel...

...add some mesh to keep the dust down and...

...that's it!

The PCI covers that come on the A300 are kinda bland, not to mention solid and I want more airflow!

Well the covers from the Sniper are pretty nice but they don't fit. The raised portion keeps them from
laying flat.

Little work with the jigsaw to lengthen them and...

..they fit!

For those of you wondering where I'll cram my drives:

There's room on the back of the motherboard panel for 4X2.5" drives, be they SDD or 7200 RPM
HDDs.

Now I want to increase the cooling and part of that means a larger thicker single rad instead of two
smaller thinner rads. Enter the XSPC RX360:

Moneyshot!

Herein lies one of the biggets problems: Where to put it?

I'm not an external rad fan so it's gonna have to go inside, along the front panel. Now the question
becomes: How to mount it?

With a little magic, 2 PCI covers and the carrying handle from the Sniper make good brackets.

Trim the front opening a bit, drill some rivot holes and we're halfway there already.

Now I could have spent alot of time making 4 holes perfectly situated on the bracket but two
slots slightly wider than the mounting screws allow me to fine tune the vertical and horizontal
position of the rad to my heart's content.

The handle is so solid I don't even need the covers to help steady the bottom. Yes, the bracket
will cut off airflow but with 6 fans on a triple rad it will out perform 2 fans on a slim dual rad
and 1 fan on single rad. If I'm not satisfied I can always cut it later, but I can't "un-cut" it.

With all the nice black parts in the case I suppose the case should be too.

After a little snafu of the primer lifting when I sprayed on the enamel even after I sanded down to
800 and degreased all the parts I had to resand and redo alot of parts. I was not impressed
with this paint.

Evidence of my troubles still remain. Sandblasting and power coating might be replacing this.

The rest of the parts turned out well and I do like the flat black.

That brings me to the current state. This was a summary of January 11 to now and of course
more is to come as I work on it. Apologies for my aging point and shoot camera struggling in the low
light of my basement, I spent all my money on parts and not an SLR.

Until next time!

Last edited by BBrowning; July 24, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old March 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
MVP

srsly that is sex in a box! looks great man HOLY SHIT! (the rig is starting to age but IF i had a case like that id be keeping it for year and years through several rigs)
Old April 4, 2011, 05:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

mini-update: wifi card

I'm not going to bother running Ethernet through this house (frankly, that's a landlord problem) so I'll need to use my wireless card again. It's just a ASUS PCE-N13 but I've dressed it up a bit to fit the build better.

Old April 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Looking absolutely sweet so far. How will you be able to mount 6 fans on the triple rad with that bracket in the way? What if you cut the middle part out of the bracket so that it only holds onto the sides of the rad where the fan mount holes are? Or perhaps invest in a few cheap 5.25" bay 120mm fan mount brackets (if they exist, I r noob but I imagine they must). Win? Just my $0.02

EDIT: Speaking of which how did you do the mod on the wireless card? Is that just a cut/painted metal plate mounted on or what?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One

Last edited by ImmaPC; April 15, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old April 15, 2011, 06:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Dope wireless card bro lol.
Old April 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Looking absolutely sweet so far. How will you be able to mount 6 fans on the triple rad with that bracket in the way? What if you cut the middle part out of the bracket so that it only holds onto the sides of the rad where the fan mount holes are? Or perhaps invest in a few cheap 5.25" bay 120mm fan mount brackets (if they exist, I r noob but I imagine they must). Win? Just my $0.02

EDIT: Speaking of which how did you do the mod on the wireless card? Is that just a cut/painted metal plate mounted on or what?

For the bracket, the fans on the outside and the rad will sandwich around the brakcet, the fans won't be perfectly flush but I might use a touch of rubber as a gasket to even them out. The reason I kept the middle part of the bracket intact is because I removed all the cross members on the front panel, making the case very wobbly and I feared without enough support the weight of the rad + fluid would warp the front panel over time and throw off the side panels and whatnot. At any rate, I can always cut it later, but i can't 'un-cut' it, you know?

For the wireless card. the PCI bracket has two threaded tabs that the old smaller shorted screws wnet into opposite how they do now (from the bottom up in the pictures). I reused a piece of plexiglas from the old front and top panels of the Sniper and just cut it to size, Painted it matte black, lined up the holes and threaded the bolts through. The weird part is since the bracket is threaded, the bolt heads pinch the cover to the bracket's tabs. With their thickness they space the cover just a tiny bit off the back of the card and then the card is held up against the bracket by two nuts below.

To accompany that wall of text: a picture
Old April 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looking forward to more work-in-progress pics.

BB, just curious, could I trouble you to tell me how you went about removing the power and reset switches from the front of the case?

I am too much of a chicken-poop to try - concerned that I might break something - the front USB/Audio port is simple as it's only two screws to remove, just don't want to bust something taking out the power and reset switches. Thanks in advance.
Old April 17, 2011, 12:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
BB, just curious, could I trouble you to tell me how you went about removing the power and reset switches from the front of the case?
They were an absolute nightmare to remove. I started by turn it clockwise then counter clockwise, back and forth but that didn't do a thing. If you look at the switches from the front of the case there's the 4 tabs(on in each corner) on your side of the front panel and then on the inside of the case there's the two wider tabs. I ended up just trying to pinch those big tabs in and pull the switches out of the front of the case. It worked, the tabs weren't too mangled and they fit snugly right back into place.

You pretty much have to use the touch of a blacksmith but I figure if they're really messed up, phone up Antec for a new set or just super glue them back into place. Really, how many times are you going to remove those switches? Once.

oh and to put them back, just the reverse, I use a thin flathead to push the tabs back through the front panel. Good luck!
Old May 6, 2011, 10:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is pretty much going to be a picture dump of me assembling what I have so far.

Rigged up a sort of photobooth thing on my kitchen table using a sheet.

and dust!

Last pieces of the case:

Hehe fingerprints

My refurbed and de-stickered GTX 470

Now, let's assemble some hardware shall we.

Storage mounts 1 500gb Seagate and a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2

That last one is by far my favourite shot so far.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Nicely done. And nothing like my Antec 300 training-wheels mod - a paint job and some holes :\. Keep the pics comming.