Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you verified that all the solder connections are good and not cold (aka not a proper connection)
Old March 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Stepper motors will just vibrate if the wires are not in the right order. Not sure what order to suggest in your case, but try swapping the pairs of wires. The coils generate a magnetic pole that spins the motor, and if the poles don't 'charge' in the right order, it just vibrates.

There is a animated graphic on wikipedia that illustrates what I am trying to say:
Stepper motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fold for team #54196
Old March 26, 2011, 06:53 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Stepper motors will just vibrate if the wires are not in the right order. Not sure what order to suggest in your case, but try swapping the pairs of wires. The coils generate a magnetic pole that spins the motor, and if the poles don't 'charge' in the right order, it just vibrates.

There is a animated graphic on wikipedia that illustrates what I am trying to say:
Stepper motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well I wired it to the way the PCB creator says to. But he also says it wasn't designed for this version of DDC, and I haven't been able to find anyone else besides me who has attempted it.

So you are saying I should just inverse the wires from the PCB to the coils? I guess I could give that a shot since it really doesn't cost me anything.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:18 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

It could be that one of the wires are not in the right order...this is a page with some info on identifying which coils pair up with what:
Other Stepper Motors

TBH, I have only fooled with stepper motors a few times I have had to use them in class, and I have never seen one with that many coils, but it looks like a stepper motor from your pic, and the behaviour you mention is what happens when the coils do not fire off in the right sequence.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I got one of the DIYINHK 18W white PCB kits and required all the surface mount resistors and caps to be soldered on and wow, did that suck. Got it all done on the one side and had the last little one to put on the other and PEW! shoots off the end of my tweezers into oblivion....

Found the part online but it is a $0.026 part and it is $8 shipping :(

I will have to hit a few electronics suppliers next time I go into the city and see if I can scrape one up. Sucks because I am not even sure it works

Would be nice to work cuz I have a vintage DDC2 that I killed RPM monitoring by sending voltage up the wire by accident. Also having more power than a DDC2 is appealing to me

Funny thing the DDC2 was considered unreliable... I have 4 still running and the oldest is from '06 and they have been running hard most of the time.

Did you ever get any of your pumps working LF?