Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2008, 09:19 PM
999Virus999

Default Chieftec Redoux

My rig is done. I added a couple of blow holes to my case and made an extended intake for my 8800 Ultra. The intake has an 80mm fan at one end pushing air to the intake on the Ultra. It lowered my Ultra idle temps by 3 degrees. I dont know what it has lowered the load temps to yet (if anything).

Specs: EVGA 780i mobo, Q6600 CPU, EVGA 8800 Ultra, Enermax 1KW PSU, 2 GB C Ballistix PC2 8500.

No overclocking yet and I have another 2GB ram but wanted to make sure everything was stable before adding that and OC'ing. I need something other than stock CPU heatsink before I OC anyway.

9V9

Last edited by 999Virus999; January 19, 2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old January 20, 2008, 05:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice clean looking build!!

What did you use to make the "fan tunnel"? Looks pretty cool, and functional as well.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 20, 2008, 09:41 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Nicely done! I have a couple of comments though, from personal experience...!

~ add fan grills to the top blow holes - on my last rig, I didn't either and once I dropped a pencil next to the blow hole, and of course the fan caught it...
~ have you tried running the rig without the side fan? It may reduce your GPU temps. I'm asking since I think the funnel is a great idea, but having a fan that close to the funnel exhaust will create a lot of turbulence and defeat the purpose.
~ slap an after-market cooler on that Quad! Pronto!
Old January 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
999Virus999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Nice clean looking build!!

What did you use to make the "fan tunnel"? Looks pretty cool, and functional as well.
Thanks sswilson. The tunnel is made from 3" abs pipe. I covered it with a covering material (same stuff you can get at MNPCTech.com). Threaded brass rod is inserted directly into the fan mounting holes and the grill holds everything in place with the brass cap nuts. I was gonna put an LED inside the duct. Maybe a later project.

9V9
Old January 20, 2008, 10:15 AM
999Virus999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Nicely done! I have a couple of comments though, from personal experience...!

~ add fan grills to the top blow holes - on my last rig, I didn't either and once I dropped a pencil next to the blow hole, and of course the fan caught it...
~ have you tried running the rig without the side fan? It may reduce your GPU temps. I'm asking since I think the funnel is a great idea, but having a fan that close to the funnel exhaust will create a lot of turbulence and defeat the purpose.
~ slap an after-market cooler on that Quad! Pronto!
~Top fan grills will be installed. I have been trying to come up with something that is different than the conventional "chrome grill". I was at Home Depot yesterday and looked at a couple of cheap home type vents that (when modified) would look pretty cool. Finding one that fits is another story. I also looked at some surplus speaker grills at Princess Auto (bless the man that came up with that store).
~The side panel fan was positioned in the same place when I got the case. When I replaced the plexi a year or so ago I just put the fan back in the exact same place without thinking. The side panel is going to get a change and I was actually thinking of taking that fan out. Possibly putting in a lower mesh mod on the window or a 120mm slow speed fan higher up to catch the CPU and RAM.
~I know - when I looked at my pics I got sick looking at that stupid stock cooler. I dont know what I was thinking when I ordered everything.

Thanks for the comments.
9V9
Old January 20, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I strongly suggest you take out the 1 or 2 PCI slot covers off directly below your videocard. It should greatly reduce your temps. Right now, hot air is just blowing around down in that bottom compartment.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 21, 2008, 08:23 AM
999Virus999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
I strongly suggest you take out the 1 or 2 PCI slot covers off directly below your videocard. It should greatly reduce your temps. Right now, hot air is just blowing around down in that bottom compartment.
I checked and there is a hotspot in that corner. The card must not exhaust the air very efficiently.

Still my GPU idles at around 54 and my CPU idles at 33/30/32/33. Under load (couple hours of COD4 at 1600X1200 full everything) my GPU is about 74-75 and my CPU in the mid to high 40's.

I am going to grab a slot cooler today and put it in that lower corner. It wont take anything away from the card and should maybe drop those temps even more.

Thanks
9V9