Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default This is what happens when you run out of cases...

So last monday was garbage day. I had a few cases taking up valuable space, so I decided to throw them out thinking I'd never need them again. They been taking up space for months and years. So why would I ever need them again?

Next thing know, I'm buying new hardware to replace my gf's computer and it's a different form factor than what she's currently running, so I can't re-use her current case for the new build All I have is another running computer that I use mainly to download torrents and stuff(I download on a different machine to keep viruses away from my main rig).

So I take everything out of my case, put her new stuff into it and everything is fine. But now I'm down 1 computer. I don't torrent all that often, but when I do... I don't want to download from my main rig. So that means I need to put my download computer back together and I don't want to spend a single dollar on it.

So hmm yeah... screw evertying down onto a piece of ply-wood
I have yet to build some type of handle to move it around more easily.
Attached Images

Old February 25, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My friends have quite a bit of fun doing stuff like that. One of them uses Knex instead of plywood though, and it makes a pretty interesting "case". I'm thinking of a nearzero cost build myself, except I plan to demolish a HP case to get the motherboard tray out of it. I prefer frankensteining OEM PCs to use their motherboard tray rather than drilling and hoping I'm accurate enough to line up the mobo .

If your plywood is much larger than the case, you can use rope / straps instead of building a whole handle. Just get some eyelets or holes to properly string the carrying attachment. It helps so you don't have anything solid to get in your way when you're rebuilding.

Edit: Ah pics workie now. That's one odd PSU...

Last edited by frontier204; February 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I can see... the pics.
Old February 25, 2011, 11:02 AM
Banned
F@H

looking good. i see no issues there, except for stuff/liquids to occasionally drop in there when you eat your doughnut with your coffee
Old February 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My dad who went threw his early years (the old boy now) during the great depresion. I keep saying he needs a house cleaning and his reply is always "Ohh might need that someday". He's usually right, as soon as something gets thrown out a week later it's needed or can be fabbed to work.
Old February 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post

My dad who went threw his early years (the old boy now) during the great depresion. I keep saying he needs a house cleaning and his reply is always "Ohh might need that someday". He's usually right, as soon as something gets thrown out a week later it's needed or can be fabbed to work.
I can relate to that. Every single time I finally decide to throw something away, I need it within 5 days after it's gone
Old March 16, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Very creative thinking tho.