Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2011, 08:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default White and Black Raven Build

Hey HWC,

I'm planning and preping for an aesthetic revamp of my system based on the raven 02 evolution revision, limited edition white.

The interior is going to be mainly black featuring:
Gigabyte p67a-ud4 all black board (Probably will refund when replacements come in and get a ud5 or if I feel like overspending a maximus iv),
G.Skill Ripjaw-X 7-8-7-24 1600mhz black heatspreader (I really appreciate G.Skill moving to black PCBs with newer ripjaws),
Intel i7 2600k
Two MSI gtx 460 1gb Cyclone SLI
Two OCZ vertex indilinx 60gb in Raid 0 (probably mount with 3m double sided tape)
Seagate 500gb storage drive
xfx 850w PSU

Mods to do:

I plan to paint my NH-D14. I want to paint the fan frames matte black and go with glossy white blades to fit the color theme of the case. I also will be painting the top most fins matte black. If anybody has done this before and has some advice or tips I'd love to hear it. So far all I know about painting fans is from this video and JD who has done it with vinyl dye.

http://www.youtube.com/v/2tUxiSMnGSQ

I'll be posting updates when I start work and when the case arrives.
Attached Images

Old February 5, 2011, 09:23 PM

My System Specs

Can't say I am a fan of the Raven. But white computer cases = hot. Will watch to see what is in store.
Old February 5, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fractal maybe NCIX.com - Buy Fractal Design Silent Series 140MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 600RPM 39CFM 9DBA W/ Rubber Fasteners - 6308619 In Canada.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:03 PM
MVP

Hi jibz, nice case. For painting fans, peel sticker off there may be a retaining clip if so slip it off then pull blades off. Tape inside of blade housing and motor you do not want any paint to get on the inside will burn out motor. I have been using Krylon Fusion paint for painting plastic very good plus large selection. First wipe plastic with alcohol 70% then light coat, triangle sweep pattern dries fast re-coat then other side then let dry. 7 days yes. Strong odor but good paint.
Old February 6, 2011, 08:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey Jibz, why don't you use 560s instead of 460s?
Old February 6, 2011, 09:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The reason I'm going with the Raven is because A) white cases are extremely hawt and B) My Gf's online alias is Raven so when I showed her a raven case I was instantly pressured to get one.

As for the fractal fans I'm not sure they would move enough air for my taste, I have a folding rig in a R3 and the stock fractal fans move almost no air in comparison to the gelid wings I added in.

I'll be doing some more research on paints, Krylon or Dupli-color and what kind of results people have got with them. Or worst case I'd cave in and get a Air penetrater white led version and another black 140 to replace the noctuas.

As for the 460s, I already have them, they've been my SLI babies since the 460s came out and it's not quite time for an upgrade yet. I'll probably sell them off for a single 670 or w/e when they come out.

Edit: I just was just coming out of my basement when I notice a can of white Krylon Fusion sitting at the top of the stairs from painting lawn chairs. Maybe it's a sign?

Last edited by jibz; February 6, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old February 6, 2011, 12:23 PM
MVP

jibz, I painted white to silver here
Old February 6, 2011, 05:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm wondering if it's possible anodize heatsinks. Would the nickel plating on the heat pipes not work with the aluminum fins?

If anybody knows if this can be done or seen something similar I'd like to hear about it. Anodized black nh-d14 anybody ^_^? Also I heard something about anodized aluminum dissipating heat better than regular oxidized fins.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've decided to bail on the anodizing idea because it looks like a little nickel in the mix causes some flamable gases, some unwanted plating and possibly a lot of sanding.

Instead I'll be painting the top of the top fins with a red finish, I'm going to be paining the fans 100% glossy white and I'll be refunding my gigabyte board in favor of a black/red Asus ROG board or EVGA board in April when the replacement 67 chipsets come in.

In the mean time I'm trying to decide what black or black/red video card I should replace my sli 460s with.

UPS estimates the case will be delivered tomorrow, if all goes well I'll post some pictures of it.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hey jibz what about the dual cold cathode fans. i just seen some in the 120 mm variety on xoxiode in white.
i just put a crosshair IV in my black raven and the red black looks killer and im guessing the red black will go quite nicely against the white