Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/)
-   -   Compact Watercooled Gaming Rig! (planning stages) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/case-mods-worklog-gallery/4033-compact-watercooled-gaming-rig-planning-stages.html)

Cptn Vortex January 10, 2008 05:54 PM

Compact Watercooled Gaming Rig! (planning stages)

So, I am about ready to embark on a new rig build. Mainly for fun, and probably going to sell the end polished result. Parts I am looking at:

NZXT Rogue Case
Asus P5E-VM HDMI or Gigabyte G33M-DS3 (Thoughts?)
2GB DDR2 800
Possibly 3850, we will see.
H20-120 Compact, possibly add a second 120mm RAD to the sidepanel.

I think I could do it quite well.

3.0charlie January 10, 2008 07:23 PM

Hey! That was my next build idea! :haha: I think the case is a great choice, and has plenty of water-cooling possibilities. I would choose the DS3 over the P5E anytime - one heck overclocker! My vc choice was the 3870 - with the hot air exhaust to the outside this will help the internal temps. As for the rad, I was looking at a dual 120 on one side.

Which PSU have you chosen? Modular, I hope?

Have fun building it, it will look awesome!

Cptn Vortex January 10, 2008 07:46 PM

Well for now I have a pair of Ultra 500W's just sitting there. I will want to get a decent modular one down the road for sure. Probably an antec NEO 550, under $100 easy.

MpG January 10, 2008 07:49 PM

I'd be thinking a dual rad on the side too, but I'm not sure if the rad + fan would be too thick to fit. Might hit either the expansion slots or the motherboard peripherals. Hard to tell with the photos they provide.

Should be a good-looking setup when you're done!

Prof. Dr. Silver January 11, 2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 34242)
Probably an antec NEO 550, under $100 easy.

Hey I happen to have one of those, it is used though....The Antec Neo HE 550W..Or do you really need a new one? How much are you willing to PM me? LOL

Cptn Vortex January 11, 2008 03:53 AM

Hey Prof, I will consider it, for sure. Probably going to be a few days or weeks, however, I will have the case tomorrow.....

3.0charlie January 11, 2008 06:25 AM

I have a Neo 500W (check sig) and it's a great PSU. With such a small size, I believe a modular PSU is a must.

Empty_Quarter January 11, 2008 11:57 AM

For the motherboard, I'd go for the P5E-VM HDMI, it has a higher OC potential.

Cptn Vortex January 11, 2008 12:38 PM

Yeah, it may be the one to go with. I think for now I am going to be starting it off with using just the on-board video, just to use as a simple mediacenter machine off the start. Then when it comes time to sell It I'll throw a vid card in. The P5E-VM HDMI would be much better, as my TV only has HDMI inputs, no DVI or VGA. Saves a cable converter!

Cptn Vortex January 11, 2008 08:57 PM

What are your thoughts on the EVGA 630i boards? Decent OC out of a 800FSB chip? They're on sale for like, $60, I kinda can't say no!