Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Antec 1200 & watercooling mod ideas

Hi,

I've been thinking for a while about modding my antec 1200. I've got some watercooling parts so setting it up to use them is pretty high on my to do list. I scetched out some ideas quick on my lunch break. Wondering if anyone thinks any of them are feasible or decent.

thinking of putting a 2x120 rad that I have straight off the back and drilling a couple holes in the case for tubes, then a 3 or 4x120 on top in a custom made top peice, getting rid of the big fan on top entirely. My PSU isn't modular so I need a better plan than cramming all the cables in the bottom HDD bay. I also want to reverse how my HDD's are mounted so you don't see all their cables. One problem I have is my soundcard (SB audigy platinum) has a front mounted portion, it's connected with sort of an IDE type ribbon cable that's not long enough for anything but pretty well a direct path. I'll need to come up with something to hide that a bit better too.

thanks!

Old December 24, 2010, 08:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've never played with a 1200 before - but the idea sounds ok. I don't think you'd have the room to mount a 4x120 on the top.. I would guess a 3x120 would do well. But from looking at the pictures.. it will be a huge hack n' slash job to get that many vents at the top of the case.
Personally, I would move to a different case that could fit all those rads standard. HafX / ATCS 840 / 800D instantly come to mind - but to each his own.

It would almost be easier to get one 4x120 rad, like the TFC / XSPC / EK and mount it on the back, keeping the rads outside the case all together. I know Kruzin was selling one earlier.. and the better ones can be found here:
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-Release Products Model: BKT-HX001 [BKT-HX001] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

If I ever did a watercooling rig that didn't have the room, that's what I would do - you could also sandwich the fans on the rad outside for better overall performance.. it leaves more room in the case also. You would just have to mount the pump and resevoir.

Typically, people will have the airflow come in the front, and exaust out the top and back.. this is because of the "hot air rises" rule.. if you go against this.. you would need some fast and loud fans that move a lot of air. It kind of defeats the point of watercooling.. as people typically want quieter systems overall, with great overclocking performance.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old December 24, 2010, 08:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

you can mount a 360 rad in the front, but it would require you to remove all your HDD caddys, so you might need some 5.25 to 3.5 bay converters for your hard drives. if you occupy more than 3 5.25 bays, you cant use a 360 :(
Old December 24, 2010, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've got 4 HDD's in it plus my DVD drive and front panel for my sound card so front mounting a rad is out I think.

I'll have to see how hard it is to pull the top off and see how easy it would be to attach a wooden top. I figure with the wood I can make it so the entire profile is taller and then I could fit a 4x120 with fans above the 5.25" bays.

I still need a block for my video card and the big rad for the top. I could just reverse how I have the airflow in the picture, in the front and back and out the top. but then the big rad isn't getting fresh air.

I'm not a big fan of external rads for my setup. it will push it too far from the wall I think. as it is now it lines up nicely with my desk.
Old December 24, 2010, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

With a 3x 5.25 to 4x 3.5 adapter, you should be able to mount the hdds, dvd, and sound card front audio and have space for a 2x120 in front. I'm just not sure about reverse mounting the hdds with certain drive bay adapters. A 2x120 will also fit quite easily up top with the addition of two bars across the top...but it looks like you're set on the 4x120 so remember to post pics!
Old December 24, 2010, 10:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

you could still mount a 240 in the front; you would need to take one hard drive and put it in a bay adapter. EDIT: got ninja'd

Also, why so much rad? If your only going through one card and the CPU you might only need about 480, or 4X120, worth of rad (240 in front and 240 in back )
Old December 24, 2010, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hopefully with a lot of rad I can run the fans slower, and maybe have some future proofing for my next build. Also because it's a challenge!

does anyone know a good place to get modders mesh, or something that would match the front fan grill design? I'm thinking put something like that on the very top above the top rad.

also where's the best place to get material to re do my side window? I basically want just a big rectangle. most places that ship don't go big enough for my side panel.
Old December 24, 2010, 03:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have a block for a GTX260/280 that's for sale.. also have another 280 w/ waterblock too. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old December 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

There's some modder's mesh here.
Old December 26, 2010, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been considering a second 280 for a while but I don't know if it'll work with my PSU. It's a PC power and cooling 1000W. I have no doubt it could power it but I'm not sure how to connect it. I only have 4x6 pin PCI-E connectors. as is I run a 2x6pin to 1x8pin PCI-E adapter.

I measured some stuff today and I don't think a 4x120 will fit where I want it, across the top. the dimensions I looked up for a 4x120 were 536mm or something like that and my case is only about 515mm. So the only way it would fit would be with overhang that I'd rather avoid. I'm thinking I'll go with a 3x120 across the top and 2x120 just out the back.

I've looked on youtube for a good mod to reverse the hard drive mounting so you can't see the cables. Most seem like they won't allow the drive cages to slide, they all have holes out the bottom so there can't be another cage right underneath either. I'm thinking some kind of slot hole out the side and a corresponding slot down the case side to get the cords through.