Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

Default Left Cabinet Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by severity View Post
O_O is that motherboard socket A? i can't even see sata ports
Dragoonxx got it right - it's a socket 478 board, used to have an old school P4 hooked up to it. The board still works, but I have a few old ones sitting around. I used it because it's the biggest "test" motherboard I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonxx View Post
I'd guess socket 478, board looks familiar too, just can't place it...but I'm betting its the test-fit board
You got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
so who here wants more pictures of kitties! *raises hand*

In all seriousness, good work with the project. I had similar aspirations on building my own desk after reading about other peoples projects.. and i'm sure this will be useful for others who are looking to do the same.
One note on staining: I know all too well about pre-conditioners and all that jazz when I built a wall mounted coat rack to match my hardwood floor in my home. Pain in the ass. And I was using oak, so doing test matches was expensive, lol.
The only problem I see with your methodolgy, is the different forms of application matter too. It's mostly an apples-to-apples comparison you're doing, but if you wipe harder on one sample vs another, you have different results (lighter / darker). Also the amount of stain used and how long it stayed on has a dramatic effect. Some cabinet makers swear by foam brushes, some say standard brushes, some tell me to spray it on.. so many variables!

Personally, from the monitor i'm on, and the picture below.. I like #3 & 5 from the left, of the new samples. I don't know how it looks in person though, heh.
Of the new samples, they all look pretty good from here though.
Hehe, I keep forgetting to upload pics of the kittens - I'll try and squeeze a few in the next update. I hear you - re:staining techniques. It really does come down to preference for application. Doing a Google search on "how to stain wood" brings up all kinds of arguments, preferences, and sworn oaths. As an FYI, I wiped on all of the stains and left them for 5 minutes before wiping off vigorously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasko View Post
Nice job! Did you make the 3D models of the computer components by yourself? Fantastic details
Thanks tabasko, the 3D models of the computer components came from the Google Sketchup Warehouse (Google it). It has a TON of models created by other users - very, very useful for doing mockups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Awesome build so far ... I can't wait for your next update!
Thanks Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanhchan View Post
Super nice :D just make sure your buddy doesn't decide to lock you out one day and keep the desk haha!
Heh, I hear ya - gotta get those extra keys made... lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
Oh noes! I'm at the end of the thread! No more updates!

I'm living vicariously through your project by the way. :p Very nice!
Thanks Optix, glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurmer View Post
Very nice project indeed. I wish I had the skills and patience to do something like that but I don't. Keep up the good work, the end result, based on what you've done so far, should be nothing short of amazing.
Thanks Wurmer, I really appreciate the positive comments!

It's been a while, but I can assure you, progress is still moving forward with the Ultimate Computer Desk!

I finally got around to assembling the left-hand cabinet - here it is, all glued and clamped together. It's a really solid unit - the dado cuts lined up really well, and the structure is rock solid.

Here I am doing a mock-up of the right-hand cabinet. This one was a little trickier to put together. There is a pretty specific order of assembly, otherwise, you're left with a piece that just doesn't want to fit properly.

Some outlines for the motherboard I/O and power supply

I remember mentioning that I free-handed the holes with the router for the left-hand cabinet. I decided to play a safer route for the right-hand cabinet.

I took a piece of wood, lined it up with my straight edge, and ran my router on top of the wood with a straight bit - this game me a perfect "stencil". What I can do then, is take the stencil, line up the edge with a line that I've drawn on the target piece, place a straight edge behind the stencil, clamp down the straight edge, remove the stencil, and run my router across the straight edge for a straight, accurate line.

Wow, that was a mouthful.

And the end product:

And then I made a pretty huge mistake...

Here is the suspect:

Bam. Can you guess why this was a bad idea?

Old April 20, 2011, 05:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

There is nothing that Bondo can't fix ;-)
Old April 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

did you start the spade from the line you'd drawn instead of moving it inside? or did you put a hole through the desktop which looks like its underneath? Good work on setting up the jigs for the straight cuts. you can sure breath a lot easier when you've something other than the hands of a surgeon to guide your router lol!
Old May 16, 2011, 02:17 PM
Top Prospect

Default Right Cabinet ASsembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa seba View Post
There is nothing that Bondo can't fix ;-)
Ha, nice - does it stain too? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcowboy View Post
did you start the spade from the line you'd drawn instead of moving it inside? or did you put a hole through the desktop which looks like its underneath? Good work on setting up the jigs for the straight cuts. you can sure breath a lot easier when you've something other than the hands of a surgeon to guide your router lol!
Yes, the jigs sure can make you breath easier eh? As for the hole... you'll see below.. woops!

Holy moly, I'm really sorry for the lack of updates folks - I've been sick for quite a while and the weather has been miserable so I haven't had much time to work on the desk. Apparently I had cedar poisoning! Wonderful!

Anyways - back on track!

Those of you who guessed it right - yes, I shouldn't have made the hole in the first place. I don't know what I was thinking. This is the right-hand cabinet.

Whoops!

Here's the biscuit joiner I was using. It worked pretty well for what it is. The tricky part was determining the order of which pieces/faces/sides to glue first and how to keep it all from falling apart before completion.

Here's the left-hand cabinet all dried and ready for some trim

And voila, my erm.. elegant clamping solution (I need to grab some cauls!)

Hope you enjoy! Rest assured, this project WILL BE FINISHED! Just.. mm, I don't really know when. I'm moving in a month and a half, so all the staining/sanding will have to be done, at a minimum.

Take care!
Old May 20, 2011, 11:36 AM
Top Prospect

Default Staining the Desk Surface

This part of the project took a better part of a month. There was a lot of sanding, waiting, and sweating as I put on each thin layer of polyurethane on the desk surface.

Here it is at the start of the phase - what a mess!

You can see there was still sanding to do from when I put in the wood filler back in... November!

All cleaned up, ready to rock the stain. It was starting to get nice as well so it was time to lube up the 'ol bike chain as well!

Part way through the first coat

Note that this is the bottom of the desk surface. I did this intially without any kind of pre-stain or wood treatment to see if I could get away with it.

I actually noticed a significant amount of dark spots and uneveness, so for the top of the desk, and for all future staining, I went with a pre-stain, and two coats of Old Masters Gel Stain. Here is the desk surface approximately a month later with around 8 coats of polyurethane on top. It will be getting a good ol fashion rubbing out in another month from now once it has fully cured.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old May 23, 2011, 10:14 PM
MVP

the desk top looks great, nice deep rich color.

By the time I build most things I just slap a few coats of varathane on and call it good. But you can sure tell the difference when you take your time.

Nice job, really anxious to see the finished product assembled.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect

Default Prepping the Upper Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
the desk top looks great, nice deep rich color.

By the time I build most things I just slap a few coats of varathane on and call it good. But you can sure tell the difference when you take your time.

Nice job, really anxious to see the finished product assembled.
Thanks aviduser - it sure took a long time, and I don't know if I'd do it the same way again, but yes, does it ever look nice eh?

So, with the main desk surface out of the way, it was time to start focusing on the top shelf portion, which, at this point, hadn't been sanded, cut perfectly, or assembled. Here were all the pieces required.

A quick mock up:

A few tests with the biscuit joiner to make sure I was aligned properly:

I couldn't get it exactly in the center - the bottom of the joiner is a bit concave and it made lining it up a little difficult. The tool is generally used to join boards end to end, so there wasn't really any facility for on-face joining like this.

Assembly and glue up time:

Enjoy! You can never have too many clamps you know? I couldn't continue on doing the side pods until this stuff dried up first.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:19 PM
MVP

looking at those pics i can almost smell the wood!

Great job man, its coming along rly nicely so far!
Old May 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

Default Top Shelf Assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
looking at those pics i can almost smell the wood!

Great job man, its coming along rly nicely so far!
Thanks BrutalGreen, I think I can smell wood everywhere now because of this project lol!

With the first phase of the top shelf all solid and dried, I could continue on to the two side pods. Here's the initial mockup.

Notice the pencil lines for the biscuits I'll be installing.

Those biscuits are so dark and moody... lol!

Aaand, some gratuitous clamping shots. Like that extra-long setup? Yeah, that worked this time, but I don't recommend it. It wasn't too stable, but there wasn't really anything else I could clamp on to for that end-pressure required.

Mmmm glue.

So that's it for this update, I know it's a pretty simple one, but hey, it's one more phase done. Just needs to have some trim stuck on and then staining!

Have a good weekend!
Old June 4, 2011, 05:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

This is such an awesome desk.. I did not follow the build process lately, but it really looks promising. I'm looking forward for the final result with both PCs in there