Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

Default IO Slot Cutting Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcowboy View Post
sweet dude! don't forget to measure twice and cut once! and how are you going to get it out of the basement when its done?

oh and if you haven't already, check out some fine finishing blades for the jigsaw which i imagine you'll be using a fair bit. there are good blades that cut really smooth and don't tear out as much.
Hmm, wish I had thought of the finishing blades earlier. I do, however, not usually cut that close to the line as my aim with the jigsaw isn't great. The desk comes apart into 4 pieces for easy transportation ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
real cool of DD to get in on this you should try and squeeze one of their new Monsoon Reservoirs from them; those things look fuckin sick!

Pump Bay Reservoirs - Danger Den
Mmm, yeah... if I ever get into watercooling I will have to get that hooked up!

So - it's been sometime since I've posted an update - apologies, things have been very busy lately.

With the parts from Danger Den having arrived, I could now move on to some more specific details with both of the cabinets that will contain the computers.

Once again, I started with a test fitting, this time, it was a very accurate fitting, requiring quite a bit of sanding and fiddling around to get as close to the final product as possible.

I then placed some test parts for fitting, and traced some outlines on the wood. The motherboard tray was placed on some thin strips of packing foam that I cut up, to help isolate any vibration from the CPU Heatsink.

Installed some new blades on the jigsaw, put my biggest drill bit in the drill, and went to town!

Part 2 coming right up!
Old April 12, 2011, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect

Default IO Slot Cutting Part 2

After doing the rough cut with the jigsaw, I took out the router and free-handed with a straight bit to smooth out the edges.

The semi-finished air intake for the left-hand cabinet:

The power supply rough cut:

I decided that the PSU bolts will need a little more clearance around the screw holes.

The I/O Shield cut out was a bit tricky to measure, but I think I did a pretty decent job:

And a final shot from above and below:

Next update, I'll have pics of actual assembly of the left hand cabinet, and then more cutting, and biscuit joining on the right-hand cabinet.
Old April 12, 2011, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

O_O is that motherboard socket A? i can't even see sata ports

SteelSeries 6Gv2 // SteelSeries Kana White // Steelseries Siberiasv2 White // BenQ XL2410T // Samsung 2233rz
Old April 12, 2011, 11:45 PM
MVP

I'd guess socket 478, board looks familiar too, just can't place it...but I'm betting its the test-fit board
Old April 13, 2011, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

so who here wants more pictures of kitties! *raises hand*

In all seriousness, good work with the project. I had similar aspirations on building my own desk after reading about other peoples projects.. and i'm sure this will be useful for others who are looking to do the same.
One note on staining: I know all too well about pre-conditioners and all that jazz when I built a wall mounted coat rack to match my hardwood floor in my home. Pain in the ass. And I was using oak, so doing test matches was expensive, lol.
The only problem I see with your methodolgy, is the different forms of application matter too. It's mostly an apples-to-apples comparison you're doing, but if you wipe harder on one sample vs another, you have different results (lighter / darker). Also the amount of stain used and how long it stayed on has a dramatic effect. Some cabinet makers swear by foam brushes, some say standard brushes, some tell me to spray it on.. so many variables!

Personally, from the monitor i'm on, and the picture below.. I like #3 & 5 from the left, of the new samples. I don't know how it looks in person though, heh.
Of the new samples, they all look pretty good from here though.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Top Prospect

Nice job! Did you make the 3D models of the computer components by yourself? Fantastic details
Old April 13, 2011, 11:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Awesome build so far ... I can't wait for your next update!
Old April 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

Super nice :D just make sure your buddy doesn't decide to lock you out one day and keep the desk haha!
Old April 15, 2011, 12:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Oh noes! I'm at the end of the thread! No more updates!

I'm living vicariously through your project by the way. :p Very nice!
Old April 16, 2011, 06:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Very nice project indeed. I wish I had the skills and patience to do something like that but I don't. Keep up the good work, the end result, based on what you've done so far, should be nothing short of amazing.