Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2010, 10:49 AM
Top Prospect

Default Thanks Canucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoracer View Post
Coming along nicely ultimatedesk, ...now what were we suppose to remember .
Hehe, I have no idea what you're talking about. What are we talking about here? ;) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I can't wait to see the finished product. Its going to be epic.
Thanks for the support jibz :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Ultimatedesk awesome job I love following this project.

The truth is mistakes happen, just they get glorized by tv to make it look like they never make mistakes lol.
So you showing us your mistakes proves your not a robot lol.

Great job coming together nicely!
I hear ya Ash! Now no more of this robot talk or I'll 1001010110 00111010 1111 000 you ;) ;) Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohnFever View Post
What are the specs on the gaming half of this desk? It looks like 2 Asus Ares? If that is true... Freaking wow. <3
Hehe, DrJohnFever, truth is, I haven't specced out what's going to be in the desk yet. I don't want to spoil it by saying I'm going to be getting so and so, because there are obviously budgetary restraints to the whole project as well.

I'm not saying it's NOT going to be 2 Asus Ares, but I am going to say that it's going to be pretty unlikely that it will be a pair of Asus Ares ;) ;) (That's some mad cash! I used them as models because they were the largest PCIE cards in the Google Sketchup Warehouse).
Old December 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

Default Desk Gluing Time

I decided it was time to glue the two surfaces together that would comprise of the actual desk surface and take a break from working on the drawers for a while.

Here it is, the first piece. At first I wanted to lay it face down, so I could evenly distribute screws through the bottom, but in the end, I went face up so I would protect the surface, and it would be a LOT easier to line up the holes.

I threw on the top layer, lined them up, and thought to myself: Hmm, I wonder what it'll look like with the top shelf stacked on:

Pretty cool. This was the first time I had actually pulled a chair up to it to get a real grasp of how big this desk is going to be. I was pretty psyched.

Just a note, the two pieces of wood on each end holding up the shelf will actually be the inner supports (ie, pushed inwards towards the middle of the desk a foot or two), and the cubby holes on the outer ends will support the long shelf. The long shelf also has to be trimmed a couple inches, it won't reach right to the end of the desk.

This next part was really quite a challenge on my own.

I lined it up as best as I could (According to the holes that I cut out, since the edges are easy to trim later), lifted one end with a mighty, strong arm, squirted as much glue as I could with my other arm (And only as far as I could reach!), put it down gently, ran to the other side and repeated.

Let me tell you - with the amount of glue I put down, and the fact that each side weighs 20-30 pounds - it did NOT want to slide around easily to get into perfect position.

In the end, I had to muscle it around a bit to get the holes lined up satisfactorily.

(I spoke with a couple friends about this afterward, and one of them suggested making some pilot holes and screwing in a few screws BEFORE the gluing, and then retracting the screws so that just the tips go through the bottom board. That way after the glue is put down, you shuffle around the top board until the tips of the screws find the pilot holes, thus, eliminating the issue of getting proper alignment before the glue becomes too tacky.)

I then threw some weight on top of the table, attached as many clamps as I could find, and started putting some 1.25" screws through the bottom.

A few clamp shots of the hole - everything lined up pretty much perfect. 1/2" on the left and right, 1/2" at the bottom, and I think just a little under 3/4" at the top. (The size of the lip between the upper and lower holes)

I wasn't satisfied with the way the clamping was going on lengthwise on the surface. I didn't have enough clamps to place them every half foot, so luckily, Mike had some of these nice, big, cedar logs lying around that I re-purposed temporarily.

The end result turned out quite nicely. The hole was lined up properly. There is only a small overhang / underhang of maybe 2/16's of an inch on two of the edges of the surfaces that should be easy to correct with a flush-bit on the router later.

We'll take a look at them next update! Thanks for staying tuned!
Old December 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

have you an estimate on how much this desk will weigh? 3/4" ply isn't exactly a lightweight building material...
Old December 29, 2010, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect

Default Start of Drawer Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates_Johnston View Post
have you an estimate on how much this desk will weigh? 3/4" ply isn't exactly a lightweight building material...
Hehe, good question Socrates! I think the average piece of plywood weighs about 75 pounds per sheet, and I'm using 4 sheets, so it can't be more than 300 pounds... I didn't use 100% of the 4 sheets, so I'm thinking around 250 pounds total! The desk surface itself is AT LEAST 60-70 pounds ;)

Hey all, hope everyone had a good Holiday!

I got a chance to do some work on the drawer face trim - this was my first time doing solid wood trim.

I cut a nice piece of maple into 1/4" strips, glued, and sanded. I only did one piece this time, as I am not totally sure that this is the way I would like to go.

Something about the trim not meshing quite well with the plywood.

First, I set the table saw to the right width:

Measure 3 times, and you get a nice solid cut:

Made a few strips:

Cut, glued, and clamped on the initial pieces of trim. The trim pieces were about 2/16's of an inch wider than the plywood, which is great, since there will be no voids, though, I'll have to do quite a bit of sanding:

Took the sander to the top and bottom:

Overall, it looks pretty good. I'm still not 100% certain about it, however. I'm thinking there is a strong possibility I will go with solid maple for the drawer faces.

Old January 2, 2011, 02:17 PM
MVP

Not too shabby. The downside to going with a solid wood is it can cup on you, (unless its quarter sawn).

1x8 or 1x10 of maple is also around $10 per ft. (not that you need much).

When I've built drawers, I've used a panel moulding like below. Or I've ripped some strips similiar to what you have, except rounded over the leading edge and had it proud 1/4". (So you'd have a 1" x 7/16" or so trim peice)

Old January 2, 2011, 07:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

sweet build! I so want to build one when i have the space... I've worked in a cabinet shop for a while, i wish i could have seen this sooner... edge tape would have saved tonnes of work! Oh well, should coulda woulda... lots to say, but it doesn't matter, the result is going to look great! and definately go for solid drawer faces, looks so much better! good luck
Old January 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
MVP

Some people like edge banding, some like using solid stock. Little more durable.

Wheres the updates?
Old January 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default My Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
Not too shabby. The downside to going with a solid wood is it can cup on you, (unless its quarter sawn).

1x8 or 1x10 of maple is also around $10 per ft. (not that you need much).

When I've built drawers, I've used a panel moulding like below. Or I've ripped some strips similiar to what you have, except rounded over the leading edge and had it proud 1/4". (So you'd have a 1" x 7/16" or so trim peice)

Hmm. I am likely to end up with solid maple drawers in the end. I think I will go down to the local specialty place and maybe talk to a few of the woodworkers there about selecting the ideal pieces for the drawer faces. I like that panel moulding there, but in this case, I'm not sure all the fluting will go with the theme of the desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcowboy View Post
sweet build! I so want to build one when i have the space... I've worked in a cabinet shop for a while, i wish i could have seen this sooner... edge tape would have saved tonnes of work! Oh well, should coulda woulda... lots to say, but it doesn't matter, the result is going to look great! and definately go for solid drawer faces, looks so much better! good luck
Cool that you worked in a cabinet shop for a while - that must have been fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
Some people like edge banding, some like using solid stock. Little more durable.

Wheres the updates?
Agreed - I've not had the best experience with edge banding and decided to go the solid route this time. I think the next time I plan this out, however, I will go with 1/8" or 1/16" thickness instead of 1/4". I had no idea the table saw would be so agreeable about spittin out strips of maple like that.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been quite busy.

I'll put up some new shots of my progress sometime this weekend, but here's some food for thought in the meantime.

This is the upstairs of the place I moved into a few months ago, and where the desk will eventually go. It'll fit nicely in the space, about 6 or 7 inches wider than the current desk you see there, and it will occupy most of the length of the hallway.

My current desk is a real pain in the butt. I purchased it used last year, and needed the smallest desk possible since I was living in a little bachelor on my own, in fact, my computer desk was beside the kitchen table and it was the only way I could get any work done! My knees always get jammed underneath the keyboard tray, so this new desk will resolve that issue as well! ;)

There she is. Yes, it's a Guild Wars mousepad that I got for free with the game so many years ago. Yes, that's a BMW M5, the sweetest kind there is / ever was. Yes, it's a crappy desk.

And here's my current system, an old Pentium 4 3.2Ghz. The Coolermaster CM690 was upgraded to only a year ago or so (Thanks sis).

You can see I had to cut away a portion of the desk in the back to make the tower fit. Hilarious, I know.

Take care, I'll get you guys a nice big update posted on the weekend ;)
Old January 17, 2011, 10:58 AM
Top Prospect

Default Trimming the Drawer Faces

Had another really busy weekend and unfortunately, wasn't able to post the update on the weekend like I originally wanted to...

BUT! Made a new friend - meet Mr.Air Nailer.

Nice and fast, no need to clamp everything down, and I can get a lot more trim done a lot quicker.

I really did a better job of being picky with the trim, and selected cuts that matched the colour a lot better:

Compared to the first drawer face that I tried:

That had to change, so I took my most subtle and elegant tools:

And, replaced the two mis-coloured pieces with nicer ones.

Anyways - this is what my trim production line looked like for the day:

First, I would mark off the lengths on an appropriately coloured piece of trim just using a pencil and holding the trim against the piece:

Take it over to the miter saw and trim it to within a sixteenth of an inch or so on both ends:

See that cedar log in the bottom right? Remember it being longer? Mike was in the shop today turning them into table legs, which partially explains the big mess!

I then took the piece that is being trimmed, as well as the trim, to the little sander. I would sand to a good 90 degree angle, and get the length just right.

Glue down, and nail down!

Occasionally, I'll crack the trim with the nailer... which means it has to be removed, and re-done with a new piece of trim:

After some sanding:

I finished all 3 drawer faces and then got started on the actual drawers. They look pretty decent. Not perfect, but they look nice.

Old January 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

now its time for lots of wood filler and sanding! I was lucky enough to have a 23 guage nailer for alot of the cabinatry stuff, hardly any holes to fill!

how do you want to finish the desk off?

Last edited by digitalcowboy; January 17, 2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: oops