Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well if you are not able to obtain a pci hardware raid card or able to use a pcie card. My next suggestion would be to use software raid but i do not trust raid5 in windows with dynamic disks. So i would recommend loading up either freenas or openfiler and setting up the software raid in linux. I have used both and they have both performed great. Or look at getting a license for Windows Home server v1 and use the drive extender technology. Right now NCIX is selling it for 139+tax.

Old December 13, 2010, 01:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i Cant afford an Actual Hardware Raid card(as of today who knows what tomorrow will hold). so looking like i will buy MHS v1. and after firinging the server up i found it to still be too loud the PSU whines, and the HDD's being WD blacks are not the quietest drives, so now im putting it all into a Fractal R3, and using the Corsair CX430 for the PSU its 18.99$ ;) (i think i just wanted to buy another case...

this project will end up costing way more than i expected ( i will eventually get a new mainboard, CPU, and a real hardware raid card down the line) I kinda wanted to use the fractal
Old December 13, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

keep in mind that if you go with Windows Home Server v1 you will not need a raid controller as it uses Drive Extender just a sata controller if you max out the board.

Old December 16, 2010, 10:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

after a lot of deliberation I'm going the freenas route,
so new gear that I bought:
CPU Dual Core E6500 + 2gb of Kingston Value Ram
Motherboard: Asus P5G41-M LE
along with the R3 and Corsair CX430
Still Using the 4 x WD 640GB Blacks (64) and have decided to use the ssd in another project, so I now have a Segate 250GB as the OS. (i like the Freenas web GUI, still lots to learn, I have found a few great write ups and walkthroughs) I cant justify Paying 139.99+taxes for a soon to be old OS (would have liked WHS)
Pics to follow
Old December 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Since upgrading my motherboard in this build i am able to utilize PCI-E slots for a raid Card, any suggestions? I suppose this should now go into New Builds.

Im Looking at A Highpoint Card, anyone have any suggestions, RocketRaid 2640x4, its available for 75-80$.

LCD Guy i looked at the Dell Perc5i cards you suggested but i cant find anywhere if it will be compatible with my Mother Board (Asus P5G41-M LE)
Ideally i would like a total of 6 drives connected. (i guess this post is pretty much for LCD Guy, thanks for your previous input, Cheers.)