Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2011, 12:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm surprised it all fit! I need to figure out how the heck to keep the wires tidy, and I'm afraid the enzotech sinks will fall and fry my video card, but it's all done! Sitting next to my stripped down Sandy Bridge Lili A05 build.

Radiator fan: Scythe S-Flex E @ 7V
Case top blowhole fan: Stock @ 7V
Pump: DDC3.2 @ 7V

Loudest component: XFX Radeon HD5770 single slot cooler
Loudest thing in my computer room: Condo ventilation stack (loud electrical buzz/hum)

Not worth buying a regular 5770 + waterblock because it would prevent me from using the 2nd PCI slot bracket to run USB3.0 extensions for the front.

Stress test hits about 63C on the CPU at 3.5GHz 1.25V BIOS (no LLC) with the fourth core outta whack showing 73C.

Finally got to use my Thermochill PA160 I bought when it was first released!!!
Old February 5, 2011, 12:11 AM
Banned
F@H

looking super maite.

on the 4c/8t comment. its not a bad choice, rather the h55 was made for duallies. it can take quads, but

not like a strong p55 will do :)
Old February 5, 2011, 01:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Very nice work Zoob!

I've attempted working in smaller cases in years past, but I tend to find the lack of space frustrating.

How was it to work within this case, and getting your wc goodies installed?
Old February 5, 2011, 06:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

You think that's tight? Had to put more in with less room!

I forgot that your PSU was a standard ATX that's why I commented on the OC, but 3.6 is very respectable.

I can't OC anything as the GTX 570 would be pushing the little 450W PSU in my case.

In the end sexy build, that LL case looks amazing!
Old February 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
Top Prospect

That turned out amazing. You must have a lot of patience lol
Old February 7, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys, it was a PITA to get it all together. I basically just jammed the PSU in the case afterwards.
A few thoughts crossed my mind:

* Chipset gets very hot (75C) under full load. I have a spare MCW30 that I'm thinking of tossing on to help reduce motherboard temps.
* If I get a short GPU, a full-cover block and a single slot bracket would be perfect and allow me to keep using the second PCI bracket for USB3 pass through.
* The replacement GPU would still need to be compatible with OSX so it looks like I'm stuck with the 5770 for now.
* The power button is BRIGHT, and I reversed the HDD light so it's not indicating hdd activity. Not a bad thing I suppose.

I'm now a LiLi convert. Q08, A05, I'm now looking for another A05 so I can cut it up and install an internal Swiftech 320 :D
Old September 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bump from the grave. I just received an ASROCK Z68 ITX motherboard:
ASRock > Products > Z68M-ITX/HT

Just need a new CPU to pair it with and I'll see how well this thing holds up. Chattering on [H] shows it doesn't like holding overclocks if temps get a bit too high, so maybe I'll need to dust off my Swiftech MCW30 to help draw heat away from the board.

Also, the stupid BitsPower Crystal T fitting cracked in transit and leaks like a mofo. I'll be swapping it for a plastic T as part of the rebuild.
Old December 31, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have real content this time. Since my last post, I sold the original Z68M-ITX after seeing throttling issues and not being able to find a cheap 2?00K chip. Then my Brother wanted a new HTPC (see my GD05 thread where I re-used half of my old Q08 setup). However after the recent "special" deal, I managed to snag a nice chip. Also re-purchased the Z68M-ITX, along with a few 140mm fans to test out. The shroud in my original setup was causing a lot of space to be wasted.

Also after a week of testing on another setup I've concluded that the Sandy Bridge IGP playing back movies at 23.973 Hz is completely blown out of proportion. I haven't noticed a difference since switching away from my Radeon 5770. See some details here about how ATI, nVidia, and Intel can't get it right: Let's set this straight - No one can do 24p consistently well - AVS Forum

Pictures! This is going to lack polish, but I go for function over form for the most part. Clearly evidenced by some of the material at the end of this update :)

The board is tiny. I love ITX, but I do not love overclocking in such confined areas.

Healthy assortment of connectors on the back. I'm using 2 x USB, HDMI, and that is all at the moment.

Board overview. I've sinked some of the MOSFETs, and added more sinks as you will see later. The VRM is the weak point in this board, causing overclocks of >4GHz to throttle back.

The ram clips come very close to the PCI-E slot.

The ALC892 is tucked away in the corner. Onboard analog audio is probably pretty terrible.

Heatsinked up. Though you will see a clearance issue with one of the MOSFET sinks in the next pic.

I had to remove one of the tiny MOS-C1's so it would not interfere with my Apogee XT mounting.

The stock Z68 heatsink is TINY and gets very hot under load. I'm going to be replacing this whenever I decide on something.

The first 2600K I've owned. Purchased way back on launch. Hits 48x100@1.425V set BIOS on my P8P67-DLX.

Flipping over, the back side has a few components. Also notice the nasty residue. I think it's left over flux.

The Realtek 8111E network chip is on the back, as well what I think are some VRM controller chips.

I ordered three 140mm fans to see which one would pass my 'silence' test.
Scythe Slipstream 500RPM (+/- 15% according to the box)
Scythe Slipstream 800RPM
SilverStone AP141 (supposedly runs 700RPM @ 5V)

In free air in my hands, I thought the Slipstream 500RPM @ 12V sounded much better than the AP141 @ 5V. So...

Here I attempt to quickly build a shroud for my Scythe Slipstream 500 RPM 140mm fan.

Mounted and running.

The system is powered by a Winmate DD-24AX (see review here: Winmate DD-24AX DC-DC Module for Silent, Efficient Power | silentpcreview.com) just as a test. It's great for isolating noise.

After about 30 min of testing, I concluded that the Slipstream 500 RPM has too much bearing chatter. It also runs much closer to 600RPM at full speed. I do have an 800 RPM version on the way (it was part of the same order but it has not yet shipped), and I do not expect it to be any smoother.
Also the AP141 runs at 600RPM when plugged in to the Chassis fan plug and having the BIOS control it down to "Level 1" setting.

As a result, I ended up 'building' a shroud for the AP141 out of foam to try and decouple it from the case and reduce the motor growl. The main foam casing actually came from my HX620 PSU box. I added one small strip of foam for it to sit on. Two small strips of the same foam sit underneath the DDC pump to prevent vibrations as it can generate an audible high pitched tone if it's in direct contact with the case.

Overview with the optical drives added. This WD 500GB Black 2.5" drive is very noisy, and I used my extra SSD in my brother's rig.

The Nexus 80mm fan is currently running at 12V cooling the VRM area. It is 'loud' for my tastes but relatively benign compared to the HDD I'm testing with.

"Stable" no-throttle overclock with the above setup.

Temperatures are very good. I almost feel like I'm wasting this CPU in this setup, but I couldn't find a good deal on a 2500K.

I'm hoping I can reach as high as 4.5GHz when I use a proper PSU. My Winmate is only rated for 130W and right now the system is drawing about 119W under LinX full load. Unfortunately I cannot locate my Win7+SP1 disc so no AVX testing at the moment.

Next steps:

- Install my other 4GB DDR3 stick
- Install Blu-Ray drive (ordered)
- Install Seasonic X660 PSU (ordered)
- 5V the 80mm fan and figure out how to mount it, re-test to see if it will throttle
- Figure out which video card to use in this setup
- Fix the foam fan shroud to the rad, probably using electrical tape.
- Drill a hole in the case to feed the front panel USB3.0 extension cables through to the back of the motherboard
Old December 31, 2011, 08:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

That's a slick little rig you have there. If only I had the patience to do something like that.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 1, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

have you considered using a northbridge chipset WB? A little bit of plumbing and you'll get your OC stable I bet. I have a barely used koolance one i'm selling for half price if you're interested in trying.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.