Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2010, 06:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Seeing this is pushing me oh so much closer to setting up a Mini-itx system as its been my dream since the late 80s to have a powerhouse pc in a little itty bitty package. But ive invested way to much to drop down lol.
Old November 18, 2010, 04:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

More test fit:
- 5850 definitely won't fit, even if I stick with a 140mm fan. It's simply too long
- GTX 460 at 8.5" would be my best bet at the moment
- I will probably have to go with a T-line and the stock DDC top if I can't find a suitable replacement like the original Alphacool, or the new Phobya top

I really hope I can de-couple the pump so it does not transmit vibrations through the case. Also need to find some nice foam insulation for the rad-case mating surface. Also need to figure out how to hold it in place - maybe a nice strip of industrial velcro (might ruin the rad finish, but who cares if it's on the bottom where it can't be seen :)

Pump will sit on a nice soft sponge, don't know how to mount, maybe also velcro!

Last edited by zoob; November 18, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Some minor updates. Finally have some guts (now that P67 boards are delayed )

So I received my 860 from 3oh6 today, and as I tighten down my Megahalems heatsink so I can give the CPU a test on air (and on a better motherboard), the frigging bracket breaks!

Pisser, so I have to resort to some fancy stock cooling to test this thing out.

Superb motherboard of choice.

Coming together with some budget 2x4 GB RAM and a 5770...

Hard core budget shot!

Temporary home

Goals of this machine:
1. Run OSX
2. Run very quietly
3. Run overclocked

Old February 2, 2011, 10:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

Mini-ITX love

OCing the 860 on that board? Might want to read on it, careful, I don't think that CPU and that board play nice once OCed. You should also want to add some third party heatsinks on there to keep it nice and cool.

Coming along nicely though!

Quiet...hmm, I need to find a quieter pump, it's the only thing I hear in my little machine.
Old February 4, 2011, 06:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hoping to hit at least 3.6 on it. I'm not expecting to reach sky high, but the chip is supposed to only need 1.3V for 4GHz. Hoping it won't hit OCP too soon. Bottom line is, even a stock 860 is pretty fast in Aperture :)

Don't worry about the cooling, I have some tiny Enzotech heatsinks to stick on!

Planning on setting up the initial CPU only loop tonight if I can jimmy it all together. Fingers crossed for a smooth install (which probably will never happen) hahaha.
Old February 4, 2011, 01:57 PM
Rookie

awesome work man, looks good so far
Main|Xeon w3520 #3845a @ 4.2ghz|Rampage III Extreme|2x6950 unlocked CFX|3x2GB Corsair Dom GT 2000|Intel x25-m 160GB|Obsidian 700D
Weekend|i7 920 #3910a @ 4.2ghz|X58A-UD7 Rev 1|2xEVGA GTX 460 2GB SLI|3x2GB Mushkin Blackline 1600|Corsair F120|Raven RV01
AMD HTPC/Game Cube|Phenom II x4 940 BE|Biostar A780L mATX|XFX 6790|2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 800|WD Black 640GB|APEVIA X-QPACK2 (red)
Racing Sim|Playseat Evo|Fanatec GT3RS v2| 55" Samsung Plasma
Old February 4, 2011, 07:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yep just as you guys predicted, I'm ramming into a brick wall bc I chose a 4C/8T CPU

i7 860 running 22x167 @ 1.250V no LLC seems OK... but it overvolts even though LLC is off!
It sometimes also gets stuck in a weird uncore/multiplier unstable state requiring a cold boot after a failed OC.

3.6 GHz is not bad of an OC so I think I'll stick with that!

Plenty of pics to follow as soon as I eat dinner, clean up, and let this stress test a bit longer before I boot into OSX for Aperture :)
Old February 4, 2011, 10:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Here goes on the backplate for the Apogee XT. It clears the components on the back of the motherboard... no modding necessary!
Though I do flip the foam pads because I do not want them sticking to the motherboard.

Sinking it up. I did fill in the rest of the PWM area FYI... I just took the pic before I opened the second box.

The motherboard sits into the standoffs - it catches a little bit because the standoffs go into the motherboard mounting holes slightly. Very nifty.

Mount the drives and cover up my crappy cuts with 3.0charlie's awesome trim! Thank you John!

Old February 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Devising a cheap and non-permanent way to mount the radiator - just in case I decide to move back to air.

Stealthed drive (sorry for blurry)

Tight fitment, the trim helps keep the barb from knocking up against the metal.

Very tight fit with the fan

Getting a feel for the space... man it's going to be tight.

WTF to do with the pump???
Old February 4, 2011, 10:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Too much money for bitspower fittings :( But I'm glad I purchased them!

Cheap sleeving. Free from my LCD monitors!

Some more tubing going in...

7V trick on my pump for silence (since it's one block one rad...)

Filling! Also a quick 10 min leak test while I bleed the air.

Two leaks. One at the BP crystal T... tighten it with pliers. Second was the FAR CORNER of the radiator. I have to pull out the vid card, and take off the side panel to get to it (barely enough slack on the tubing), and reach in with needlenose pliers to tighten it up.

When leak testing/bleeding I ran the pump at 12V. Tested it out, but decided to reduce it back down to 7V for noise and to compare temps... but the stupid pin broke!

Quick solder job later, and BAM, stupid messy cram packed build: