Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default PC350 "Hero Mod"

So I went ahead looking for a new set of headphones to replace my Razer Carcharias, which works fine but isn't winning the highest quality award. So, who else to look at besides Sennheiser (At least, in my price range). I was planning on picking up some HD555's on sale, but my friend who lives near an NCIX bailed out on me. So, I finally ended up at ADay2Long's FS thread and bought his PC350's, with the Hero Mod in mind. As was expected, bass was pretty lacklustre when I first plugged it in. But, enough talking, more pictures!

Here they are, basically straight out of the box. My house is dusty if you can't tell.

Now, I didn't really even think of taking pictures until someone (Dalton?) in IRC mentioned it, so this is a little bit in. All my tools and whatnot, I didn't use the Dremel however. I've already removed the ear pads and the screws for the right side at this point. The pads just pop off, but take quite a bit of force.

Close up of the right ear's insides.

Here's what I used to make the holes, pretty simple stuff. Heat the nail up with my butane torch and shove it through. Beats the chance of drilling it and having plastic shards stuck inside the driver. (Nail is post-mod, 2mm in diameter)

First hole done. Went pretty easily through, until the head of the nail burned my thumb through the glove I was wearing.

And here's what I'm guessing is the equivalent of a "Warranty void if removed" sticker. Oh well, just jabbed the screwdriver through it.

And here is where the problem happened. Tried doing the left side, and ended up having the nail cool down way quicker than the right side. Yeah, it was stuck pretty damn good. Just torched the part of the nail sticking out and yanked it. Either way, it ended up pretty good. I had to go and do it a second time because the bass was noticeably heavier in the right ear. You just have to make sure they're both about the same size.

And in the end I now have a headset with a nice punchy bass and clearer lows, instead of sounding like tin cans. Many people did 3+ holes, but the one hole seems to do quite a bit while not making it cause problems (Some people reported the bass lasting too long, for example).
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old October 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ho that's pretty simple and damn inteligent! good one dude!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 12, 2010, 04:14 PM

My System Specs

I came in expecting a Lian Li PC-V350
Old October 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's fitting to say...no PC350 is complete without this mod.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old October 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

I must say my products come dust free!

Nice mod, hope you enjoy them!
Old October 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Air holes in monitors are a sign of bad diaphragms :P

Good job on your mod, however :)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old August 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

So, just did this mod as well using a old mini screwdriver to make 1 hole on each & i gotta admit after heing some audio tracks (nirvana n soundgarden) you could hear more pronounced bass from them now.