Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ASUS G2S-A1-WC

[edit]
Aww shit >_< tired guy is tired. I guess this probably should have been put in the actual watercooling section! /me slaps self. Can this get moved please?
[/edit]

Watercooled ASUS G2S-A1 now known as:
ASUS G2S-A1-WC :P

Now, as many of us know Nvidia's G84 and G86 cores were proven to be defective and then for a fair while Nvidia denied it and all that. I recently picked up a notebook with a GeForce 8600M GT and I felt the need for some more extreme cooling in the hopes that it would prolong the lifetime of the BGA mount of the GPU.
I wanted something that was both cool and effective with minimal case modification. I know that this thread is made quite late but I was not sure if I really wanted to start a whole thread or not and lately I have been fairly busy. *shrug* Looks like I am making it now.

Anyway. Yea.
On with the fun!

Not really sure how to start this out exactly.. Perhaps a quick setup with some pics and stuff?
This is the G2S beside my HP DV4:

To cool this computer I wanted the waterblock to be internal with the barbs out the back. I wanted to mount it right on the heatpipes where the old heatsinks were and have the barbs poking out the back through a cut out vent. At first I was looking online but all these modern CPU, GFX and NB blocks are all too thick and all either have vertically mounted barbs or horizontally mounted ones that were sitting on top of the block. I needed a low profile block, less than half an inch! It was soon clear that I would need to look at old hardware. There was a block and a kit with that same block that looked like it would work well but sourcing one would be a problem.
I happened to be in the local PC shop picking up some other ancient&specific crap soon after(I hear I am the only guy who does that there) and as luck would have it there was a different kit(3-4 actually) that had been sitting on a shelf since sometime in 2004 apparently.

At first I was looking at the VGA block since it had horizontally mounted in-line(with the rest of the block) barbs but after taking the pretty little shiny cover off it was both too thick and also not wide/long enough. So I started looking at the CPU block, it was thinner and wider/longer than the VGA block but the barbs were on the top vertically mounted. I would need to modify it! :evil:

So back during the night of the 17th and morning of the 18th I was scrambling to get this stuff done before a trip to Edmonton.
I sliced off the overhanging portion of the base, drilled into the block from the side, removed the barbs with a torch, cut up cover pieces for the old barb holes then attached the barbs to the side of the block and covers to old holes. Drilled new mounting holes in the base of the block, cut up one of the brackets that the block came with so I could mount it to the heatpipes, leaktest and realmount.

Ooooo shiiiny...

Testfit

Gettin somewhere now.

Whoops. Refundplz? :P

Ripping the fins off the heatpipes and taking the crap off the surface of the pipes:

Trimmin dat plastic.

Here we have a much needed slimming lap.(I should have taken the bottom and the top down further, actually. It is rough but suuuper flat.. not that I am mounting it to a single flat surface here, but w/e) Followed by a for realz installation:

I had absolutely no time to test it at home; I had to take it with me and hope for the best.

Guess what?

:D :D :D :D :D :D
You knew it was going to work!

However
The GPU is making reallyreally bad contact with it's heatsink and wile it idles and handles a light load okish it cannot handle any real stressing! I need to fab up a bracket&backplate for it and the NB then I should be golden.
Also remaining is mounting the WC gear on the back of the lid and getting new tubing. Mounting it on the back and powering it internally will make this thing actually portable. As for the tubing, this stuff has been sitting in a box for six years with a bunch of kinks in it.. New stuff is a must.

Done:
WB mounting
Initial testing

To do:
Mount WC gear to lid
New tubing
New GPU&NB bracket

Last edited by MacJunky; September 27, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dude, you watercooled a laptop?! IS THAT EVEN LEGAL??!! HAHA awsome

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old September 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

great stuff... hats off to you..:) bravo

i just love it..

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old September 27, 2010, 11:04 PM
Banned
F@H

looking good. hope you get a few offers from the big names, rather than snatching your idea and use it as their owns,

still, even with a larger unit there is still no place for a wc setup.inside :)
Old September 28, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately the exposed screws on the lid are dummy screws. They are for looks and do not hold anything down. I was hoping that I could just take a clear panel on the top off and paint it's underside.. but no. It is a sticker or glued on piece of plastic or something it seems. :(
lame
Old September 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I knew my laptop would be put to good use!

Glad to see things went well for your modding project, and wow, you wernt lying when you said you wanted to 'fool around' with it!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 29, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys. :)
Now I just need to figure out what else to do to it once the current to do list is finished off.
Old September 29, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Impressive! Totally wasn't expecting this from Sagath's old laptop lol New lease on life indeed
Take out the cd drive and see if you can shove the pump+res in their...and then, profit? XD

Old September 29, 2010, 02:41 PM
MVP

Homemade laptop chiller platform?
Old September 29, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ho god that's a good idea for future 480M laptop XD

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||