Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2010, 01:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default "Procyon" - Reborn!!

Well not really a "re-birth"...more like a "Mid-Life Extension"....:
1. Swap out 920 C1 for a 980X
2. Added Backplates / high Air flow Brackets to 2 x 480's
3. Swap out HX 1kW for an AX 1.2 kW

Tidied up the cabling and have spent the last 3 days OC'ing / Stress Testing the 980X. After all is said and done I likely should have been putting my CPU through its "testing" "without vDroop", as I initially was banging my head against the wall looking at so many folks with very low vCore for high OC's........

With that said, I realized most, other than the select few with "gravy chips" are disabling VDroop...so my Voltages seem more inline then

Couple of things I have found with these Hexa Core chips:
1. Require more Voltage than DO's
2. Run a lot cooler than DO's
3. LinX "25000 & All Memory" Stress Test is what many folks seem to be using to test this Chips OC...so I did as well, only to find that passing 30X cycles of LinX didn't mean squat, as the same settings would immediately BSOD 00000101 (generally more vCore) when running P95 Small FTT.....hhhhhmmmmm, a lot of folks over at Evga "think" they have a stable OC

So, I now run the testing on this Chip via P95....LinX is ok for a starting point, but then for ensuring relatively good Stability ( sorry...I don't fold), one must run P95..plain n simple!

I did manage 4.13 Ghz...rock stable, but did have to go up to vCore 1.4125v.....I know I know.....relax, thats with VDroop enabled...under full P95 Load its only 1.352v...so I'm figuring re-testing without VDroop could likely mean stable at or around 1.35v....which is about right...not great, but satisfying. This will likely be my 24/7 speed...although I would like to fvck around and see if I can get some Vantage runs in at 4.2 - 4.4 Ghz .....

Load Temps on my TRUE Push / Pull w IC7 (large pea size in the middle) were outstanding...low to high 60's and never saw it crack 70C..btw Fans on the TRUE are 1 x TRUE 1400RPM and 1 x Scythe S Flex 1400 RPM.

In a nutshell:
QPI 133 Mhz x 31 Mult - 4.13 Ghz
Ram 2:12 - 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24-88 1T
Uncore 24X - 3200 Mhz
HT enabled (yeah baby - 12 threads)
vCore 1.4125v "VDroop enabled" - 1.352v under P95 Load
vTT +100 mv - 1.3v
vDimm - 1.65v
IOH Core - 1.125v

As for the AX 1.2 kW....love that sleeving and NO colored wires, all black, nice touch!! So far...again looking for wood to knock on....no "whining" / "squeeling"...very quite!!!

Anyhow, thats about it ....snapped a few photos....enjoy....

Different Voltages for image below..

Drool....

And finally...think is the 1st time I placed an Intel CPU Case Badge on the "outside" of a Case, this one is deserving of being displayed for all to see....black n yellow btw

Cheers!!

Old September 22, 2010, 09:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

uh.. your QPI looks really low to me. it's normally 3.2-3.5 with extreme processors.
I don't know a whole lot about QPI, other than it 'replaces the system bus' speed.. but it's the transfer speed between the CPU and I/O.. I would assume higher = better/more performance.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old September 22, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Rison......I've got it set to "auto", which is 4.8 GT/s

hhhhmmmmm....after reading your post thought maybe that is why I seem to require high vCore to get P95 stable, as in 1.346v (without vDroop) for 4.11 Ghz....so...went in and changed QPI link speed to 6.4 GT/s...lowered my vCore a couple of nothes from where I had tested stable and recieved a BSOD within a few minutes of P95.....

Old September 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Holy smokes man... That is awesome. The question remains though: When is this going under water? :)

Old September 23, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The question remains though: When is this going under water? :)
hahahahaha....yep...well..Cowboy.....maybe in the the New Year...we'll see......I got a "direct link" to Kruzin ;)