Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2010, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Got the heatsink off the Motherboard. Didn't snap any pictures of the ordeal. I got most of the pins out but then the Northbridge got really stubborn. At this point I was paranoid of damaging the board. So I got a friend to help me out.

Applied Shin Etsu to North and South Bridge. Didn't have any Sekisui #5670 Thermal tape handy. So I left the Mofset gunk.

Got the V6 heatsink mounted with the Shin Etsu treatment. Using an R4 for secondary fan. Some components are a bit dusty in the pics. Ran out of compressed air
Attached Images

Old October 4, 2010, 05:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

damn now I wanna v6...
Old October 4, 2010, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah it's a great heatsink. The plastic shroud conveniently hides the little imperfections of the aluminum fins. If you plan on using your own fans the V6 is the better buy. Unless you really, *REALLY* need the LED strip. The nickel plating on the GT is a pointless aesthetic that isn't really visible once the heatsink is actually mounted.
Old October 8, 2010, 05:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Element s, Great case , looking at it make me want to buy one.
Wonder if it's quiet?
Old October 8, 2010, 06:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Why didn't you go for the Element G?
Old October 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexofire View Post
Element s, Great case , looking at it make me want to buy one.
Wonder if it's quiet?
Stock fans are relatively silent. The only stock fan I kept was the top exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Why didn't you go for the Element G?
Element G didn't exist at the time I bought the S. I wouldn't mind getting a G side panel so I can add a side fan. The S had a model with the side fan but it was never sold in North America for whatever reason.

Thermaltake isn't very approachable when it comes to purchasing spare case parts from them.
Old October 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It looks pretty cool, I will have to put my recently updated system on here.

We have similar hardware too lol
Old January 3, 2011, 12:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update time. Got sick of the 4870's. Hello 6950! One hell of a card. It has yet to travel to 6970 Shadertown but I'm already blown away by this card. 2GB of Sexalicious PCB in a red/black aluminum shell.
Attached Images

Old January 3, 2011, 12:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would have gotten rid of those 60mm fans a long time ago! Decent looking build though!
Old March 8, 2011, 08:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Finally got around to snapping a couple pics of changes:

1. Side Panel window <-- Awesome. Not the best lighting to show it off, but it came out great. The side panel isn't a flat surface; so the window was cut to follow the contour of the panel.

I decided the height of the window should be the same as the mesh corners it would be facing. The lengthwise it was too much off. The actual cutting was going to be a bit of an undertaking for me. Luckily one of my friends has amazing skills with metal working, and he was more than happy to take his angle grinder to it.

I violated the cardinal rule of case modding so the drive bays are exposed. However, I can make the most of this by getting some black mesh and cut it into a flame pattern. Mesh goes over exposed area, and will obscure the area just enough. I opted for a square window, and carefully measured the rubber moulding and cutting it into 4 pieces wasn't too big a deal. The corners at which the pieces of moulding meet look good enough. They aren't pristine 45 degree angles touching each other, but they more than suffice. Acrylic pane attached with good 'ole double sided tape.

2. Cable Managing <-- Did some cable managing. Still a bit messy I feel, but better than what it was. I put the SSD tray back in, and it gives the case a real nice effect to along with the window. If I get super OCD I'll try managing the cables better.

3. (Not currently pictured) I installed a Titan 5.25inch drivebay cooler. Don't need the HDD capacity, but the dual 60mm fans are perfectly positioned underneath my DVD drive to feed the CPU with an additional blast of cool air.

Well if you managed to read all that, or skipped past it, here's the pictures:
Attached Images