Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Sugo i3 GTX460 Shennanigans

I normally don't post up pics of the builds I do for other people but in this case I felt it would be nice to share some pictures of my first itx build. I do have permission from the owner of this computer to post up build pics so .
Specs are:
Intel Core i3 530 2.93ghz CPU
Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Motherboard
OCZ 2x2GB DDR3 1333mhz CL9 RAM
Seagate 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive
Gigabyte GTX 460 768MB GPU
Silverstone Sugo SG05B with 300W power supply

It's currently using the stock intel cooler and running at stock clocks. The GPU idles at around 50C and the CPU at 36C. Running 3 threads of prime and furmark puts the machine at 80C on the gpu and 70C on the i3.(yes, at exactly 80C/70C, not sure why the system likes round numbers lol) Not bad for a system running in a case the size of a shoebox . Briefly took it up to 4ghz with 1.3vcore for a 2 hour prime95 run and it passed albeit with 85C/90C temps.

I'm not going to lie, when I first started this build I was quite afraid of the 300W 80+ bronze FSP power supply not being able to handle the power (And I dont really trust it still to be honest) But its being holding up quite well, went through 8 hours of prime/furmark before I shut it off myself and it was running perfectly.

It gets quite loud when all the fans are going full tilt but its pretty much expected in such cramped spaces and with stock cooling. Even idling, the computer isn't what I'd call quiet but one thing that surprised me is how quiet the Seagate was. I'm used to hearing the seek noise of Seagates over every other part of my systems once in a while but in this case, its remarkably silent.

Possible adjustments later(if the buyer isn't happy with the noise) is the inclusion of a H50 and a full atx power supply mounted using lian li's psu extension bracket. I'll update this later if I end up going this route.

And the required pictures
(I'm working on my picture taking skills, pardon my terrible photos and massive glare off them shiny electronics)

MOAR PRESENTS FOR MOI??

The sneaky items hiding in the bag posing for pics :P

Before I put everything in the sugo.....it looks a bit clean, but not for long though

Don't know if its only me who was stupid enough to do this but I had a heck of a time opening the front panel after I accidentally wired everything together and left no slack for the wires. Otherwise, yummm fan filters

Quite happy with how this picture turned out for once

Photos jump ahead a bit since my hands were too busy trying to cram the wires inside the case
And the completed build:

It looks like quite the mess in there and I tried for a good 2 hours trying to reorganize the wires. The sata/sata power cables gave me endless problems since they ended up bumping up against the video card and there was no way to hide the sata cables since there's absolutely no room to stick your hand in the case and shove the sata cables aside.

Last edited by CroSsFiRe2009; September 3, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old September 3, 2010, 05:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

good looking case...will probably be using the same case for my HTPC build.

you didn't mention what video card that is? i assume it is one of the giga gtx460's you have pictured
Old September 3, 2010, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oops, updated the first post, its a Giga 460 as you mentioned, 768MB version

Old September 3, 2010, 08:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

it's the Gigabyte 460, 768MB video card.

Cute little system.. after having such a -big- case like an ATCS 840, it tempts me to build a little itx / matx gaming box instead of the huge thing on my desk. Ah well.. too hard to watercool anyways.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old September 3, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice work Crossfire! I don't think the wiring is too bad. You cant really do much else with that case but what you've done. Unless you want to start cutting wires and reassembling connectors to make it shorter, but that's a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
it's the Gigabyte 460, 768MB video card.

Cute little system.. after having such a -big- case like an ATCS 840, it tempts me to build a little itx / matx gaming box instead of the huge thing on my desk. Ah well.. too hard to watercool anyways.
I agree totally. One of these days I'm going to find a nice small case that suits watercooling. The SUGO is nearly perfect, but I'd really like to see a case I can atleast get a H70 self-contained unit on.

The perfect one would be something small enough to WC the GPU and CPU while still maintaining the size of the SUGO.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 6, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I agree totally. One of these days I'm going to find a nice small case that suits watercooling. The SUGO is nearly perfect, but I'd really like to see a case I can atleast get a H70 self-contained unit on.

The perfect one would be something small enough to WC the GPU and CPU while still maintaining the size of the SUGO.
I'm not exactly sure but I remember seeing a H50 fitted in the place where the front 120mm fan is placed. A H70 wouldnt fit with both fans since it would be way too thick. I'm sure with enough work and 90degree fittings you can most likely fit a custom loop in it

Old September 6, 2010, 01:19 PM
Banned
F@H

very nice. could you pretty plz take a shot of the side of the psu? i keep telling people they dont need a killowatt unit for their systems lol. and most dont.
also if you have a killawatt, it would be nice to check.

im guessing the whole system eats around 200-250 watts on the 12v loaded furmark+prime, but thats just a guess.
Old September 6, 2010, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow that's a nice itx setup. I had thought about a similar setup before but was really paranoid about the PSU and if a dual slot card would even fit.
Nice NCIX binge photos. hehehe
Old September 6, 2010, 06:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I agree. I'm more and more tempted to build an mATX rig just for the hell of it. Maybe to use during the summer months to keep my room cool even.

There's a decent Lian-Li case that fits watercooling pretty well, but it's a bit on the large side. Has dual 120mm up front, can't recall the model # right now though.
Old September 6, 2010, 06:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

V351, V352.