Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2010, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Default How to take good photos?

I see a lot of nice photos of some rigs that look amazing. Even more so because the photography captures the colors and essence of the build just right. So I was wondering do you need like an SLR camera? Are these photoshop enhanced as well?

Thanks.
Old September 1, 2010, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
I see a lot of nice photos of some rigs that look amazing. Even more so because the photography captures the colors and essence of the build just right. So I was wondering do you need like an SLR camera? Are these photoshop enhanced as well?

Thanks.
No you don't need a SLR.

A good P+S with some manual capabilities with good lighting will work just as well.

And anyone who thinks you NEED a slr doesn't know how to take photos.
Old September 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for the above. SLR are nice but a point and shoot can do the same for PC pic. Good light and quality camera is the key. Trust me, I use a DSLR and sometime I can't take a good pic because the light isn't good or I just can't find the right setting for the camera.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 1, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
A good P+S with some manual capabilities with good lighting will work just as well.
*nod*
The lighting being actually good is very important when working with shitty cameras(any camera really, but most point and shooters are absolutely terrible in low or crappy light). You do not need a 50bajillion watt bulb though.

Also, tripod! (or a monopod/bipod/stable adjustable platform of some other sort) They can really help with most shots and give you a chance to play with the exposure settigns a bit more should you need to.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Also, tripod! (or a monopod/bipod/stable adjustable platform of some other sort) They can really help with most shots and give you a chance to play with the exposure settigns a bit more should you need to.
This is the key factor IMO. Lighting can help eliminate the need for one, but if you want a good low-light shot to show off the illumination, then a tripod is a must. However if you have a shaky hand, then you'll probably want a tripod regardless of lighting.

If it's a nice day outside, you can always shoot out there. Preferably on a more overcast day or in the shade though. Direct sunlight isn't typically that great (and makes your case burning hot).

Other factor I'd say is white balance. Usually you can fix that up afterwards though. White balance helps a ton with getting the colours "right".

Also consider using the "Macro" mode on your camera too when doing close up shots. This way they'll actually be in focus. I absolutely hate when people post out of focus closeups. Usually it's a flower icon on most cameras.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Default Any other pointers?

Thanks for the tips but you guys have any pointers on exposure settings and such?

Thanks.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
Thanks for the tips but you guys have any pointers on exposure settings and such?

Thanks.
Up to the individual and camera.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Up to the individual and camera.
Yup, each brand act different in some light condition. Ask us when ready to get a new camera and we are gonne help you out and then give tips on light, exposure and other setting.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 1, 2010, 08:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

MDPC Photography Tutorial:

- Never use flashlight
- Set ISO to a fixed setting
- Use the "A"-Mode (Aperture) to control blur effects
- Never shoot when you hold the camera in your hand
- If you don't have a tripod... Place the camera on clothes
- When the camera is placed in a fixed position... Use the automatic time controlled shooting mode
- Don't target the lamp directly on the target, try to illuminate the target by reflecting it

| Samsung T220 | Steelseries SX Pro | Razer Lachesis Phantom White | Logitech Illuminated Keyboard | Sennheiser HD555 | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 |
Old September 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

large bean bags work better than clothes for a place to rest as it won't allow vibration as much.